Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Webers outside  (Read 3159 times)

power

• Smokey Joe
Webers outside
« on: August 30, 2016, 04:12:56 AM »
Hi guys i have noticed a lot of people in the USA leave there Kettles, WSM, offsets etc outside or on an uncovered decking! We down sized in house size and shed size, so i was forced to offload a kettle and 18" WSM!! Still have the Performer Gold and the Q320 in the pergola and a kettle and a GA in the tiny tiny tool shed! Now if i were to purchase a new WSM and leave it in its cover around the side of the house under the eave would this be ok? Or would surface rust eventually happen? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Webers outside
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:57:21 AM »
Really shouldn't be much of an issue. The only thing that might rust would be the nuts/bolts & possibly the legs, which appear to be zinc plated. WSM comes with a nice breathable cover, so it doesn't hold moisture like the older vinyl covers do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:47:15 AM »
I would store it with open vents just for the mold factor

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:10:18 AM »
It's very common for people to leave their kettles outside with a cover on them.  I've had my performer outside with a Weber cover since I got it in 2009 and it's still in great shape. 

As for a WSM, I think that if you were concerned you could replace the nuts/bolts with stainless steel when you build it.  Then you'd be protected from the hardware rusting out.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:53:22 AM »
I live in the Midwest and do not even use covers anymore. It got to be too much of a hassle with the wind and taking them off and putting them on. They seem to be holding up just fine. 
May The Smoke Be With You!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:40:48 AM »
I don't use covers (southern california), and I didn't use them when I lived in shitville Illinois either.

The only thing that I see suffering is the wooden handles. I keep my vents closed.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »
I don't use covers (southern california), and I didn't use them when I lived in shitville Illinois either.

The only thing that I see suffering is the wooden handles. I keep my vents closed.
Shitville, Il? Hey dude, our governors are so dedicated they make our license plates!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
shitville is accurate. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »

Is that close to Naperville?
May The Smoke Be With You!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 12:46:03 PM »
Replace all hardware with ss nuts n bolts.

I have the hardware specs/thread count somewhere...@ ping me if you need /want the hardware specs

I already ss upgraded my 18.5"...reminds me need to do same to 14.5" wsm before the rust freeze....
Grills

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »
The only problem I see for leaving a wsm outside without a cover is the lip design.

The way the lid sits on the wsm is different from kettles. Kettles shed water because the lip sits over the rim of the bowl, wsm are the opposite, so a wsm will fill up with water if left out in the rain.

Because of this I store my wsm inside. Most kettles stay inside too, but I don't worry about them if i  leave them outside.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 05:06:31 PM »
The only problem I see for leaving a wsm outside without a cover is the lip design.

The way the lid sits on the wsm is different from kettles. Kettles shed water because the lip sits over the rim of the bowl, wsm are the opposite, so a wsm will fill up with water if left out in the rain.

Because of this I store my wsm inside. Most kettles stay inside too, but I don't worry about them if i  leave them outside.

Turn the center section upside down for storage outside and it won't collect any water. I store mine inside now, but used to store outside, center section upside down, all vents open.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »
My two cooking kettles (Performer, OTG) stay outside uncovered during what I call the grilling season. They stay outside covered during what I call the winter.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 03:40:50 AM »
Mine sit outside uncovered all year long. Wind Rain Sleet Snow.  I've never seen much of an issue.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 08:03:18 AM »
Remember all those craigslist Kettles newer members think are real Grey examples? The ones from before they actually made Grey Kettles? Those are the sun beat ones with rust and corrosion wherever there is no porcelain. That is what will happen if you leave them uncovered outside for long periods. I'd rather have a real Grey Kettle than a bunch of wannabes.

A Grey MBH my ass.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"