Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Abt's, pork tenderloin day  (Read 1565 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Abt's, pork tenderloin day
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »
Changed up ingredients for the Abt's. I took Mikerocksthered's advice and did a low n slow session with the poppers. I left out the sausage and just did cream cheese, a mix cheese ( that we had in the fridge), seasoned with garlic, s&p, and a little chipotle pepper. Cooked indirect at med low heat for about 2 hours, checking on it after an hour for bacon crisp.

I had a pork tenderloin thawed and left over bacon so I through them together for dinner. No toothpicks in the cupboard, and wasn't going to run into town for it, so tied them up. Cooked indirect medium- high till 135 then seared on high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:11:25 PM by Travis »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Abt's, pork tenderloin day
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »
Forgot. I hit the poppers inside and out with Killer hogs bbq rub.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:15:07 PM »
@Travis  -  So what did you think of the ABT's?  No one ever seems to go with my suggestion of brown sugar in the cream cheese mix, but I'm ok with that.  I guess it makes mine unique!  They look like they came out great!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »
Well honestly Mike, I forgot to add it [emoji848]I knew I forgot something! I will say I can see where that will compliment them wonderfully. It will be in there next time.

I checked them after an hour, but like you said, no where near crispy, so let them roll 30 min, then another and they were perfect.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 12:45:16 AM »
Looks delicious.  Pork tenderloins wrapped in bacon are always a hit and you can usually find pork tenderloins pretty cheap.  I hit mine with an apricot preserve glaze on the finish. I also partially smoke the bacon before wrapping.  Thanks for the reminder I think I'll give em a run this week.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:49:26 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
@Travis  -  So what did you think of the ABT's?  No one ever seems to go with my suggestion of brown sugar in the cream cheese mix, but I'm ok with that.  I guess it makes mine unique!  They look like they came out great!

I've been making some with raspberry preserves and cream cheese lately. Little sweet, little heat. Yeah buddy.
Still need a 22” yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 11:33:50 AM »
Hey @MikeRocksTheRed. I did another batch of Abt's today. I added your brown sugar this time and Wow! That is really good. Thanks!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 11:47:39 AM »
Hey @MikeRocksTheRed. I did another batch of Abt's today. I added your brown sugar this time and Wow! That is really good. Thanks!

Awesome!  I'm glad you tried it.  It is amazing how good the sweet with the heat is!  I made a batch of ABT's on Saturday and they got demolished!  Did you try the cheddar lil smokies yet?  They aren't as much of a magical ingredient as the brown sugar is.

I measured everything when I made my turds on Saturday and took a bunch of pics, so I'll post that cook soon.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »

Awesome!  I'm glad you tried it.  It is amazing how good the sweet with the heat is!  I made a batch of ABT's on Saturday and they got demolished!  Did you try the cheddar lil smokies yet?  They aren't as much of a magical ingredient as the brown sugar is.

I measured everything when I made my turds on Saturday and took a bunch of pics, so I'll post that cook soon.

I didn't have any little smokies, instead had some sweet Italian breakfast sausage. To be honest, I could just eat em with just the cheesy filling.

Seems like the options would be endless! Looking forward to seeing your pics!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 07:06:07 AM »
Looks good.  Like the tenderloin shots idea.

I've been mixing rub (including brown sugar) in with my cream cheese since I started.  I think it adds something worthwhile.