Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has Weber ever lowered their prices?  (Read 3674 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Has Weber ever lowered their prices?
« on: April 14, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
I really am interested in the Summit Charcoal but like many of you cannot pull the trigger on something in that price range.  I was just wondering if anyone can remember Weber ever lowering their price on something following their initial release year to boost sales.  This grill may not have any problems with sales priced where it's at, and it is probably worth every penny.  Just a hard number to get to for most of us.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Has Weber ever lowered their prices?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 04:14:11 PM »
Good question

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 04:24:55 PM »
I don't think so. Weber dealers are pretty good with maintaining MAP and not honoring coupons
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

dmbrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what this is priced at a year from now.  I was fortunate enough to get a ranch kettle for 40% off retail from a place that decided to stop carrying them and was moving out what they had in inventory.

It looks like the Summit's are going to a lot of independently owned stores and not big box places.  I imagine there might be a few deals to be had later this fall if guys are looking to move some out before winter, or if they brought some in for the launch, and have been unsuccessful with them thru the spring/summer seasons.  I'd be willing to bet if you walked into one of those doors with 10 $100 bills later this fall, you'd find a store owner willing to part with one.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 02:45:07 AM »
Just make sure it's the store owner "willing to part" & get receipt($)
I throw cash at re-manufactured / open box inventory at Micro Ctr (etc)
all the time & managers are willing to make some crazy deals
(I test everything in-store & promise No Returns)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 03:02:33 AM »
Yeah, MAP = street price. These aren't like consumer electronics that often get cheaper next year when "the new version" comes out. And imagine the confusion and anger that would result from todays buyers next year these were a couple hundred less next year.

Demos and inventory purges are the only way to get a real discount from any retailer that wants to remain a dealer. But take note of buyers who have reported difficulty getting warranty service on those, too.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 06:10:10 AM »
Honestly, on its normal lines Weber should have considered raising prices over cutting quality.  For example, the low end spirit gas grills are $399 and $499, depending on 2/3 burners, in 2016.  That's the same price as 30 years ago.  Obviously, the quality is crap now compared to then.  Weber made its name on well designed, well made products, and I think the SCG might be a look back to that.  Both the gas grills and the kettles debuted (and to some extent still are) WELL above the price points of other grills (like 4x as much, IIRC) but they're still here (and grilling) while tons of crap has come and gone.  Am I rushing out to buy a SCG?  No.  I am glad they didn't cut a million corners on it and priced it at what it is going to be priced at.  While I don't think the price is going down (which was the question here), based on Weber's history, I think it is extremely unlikely that it goes up for a while.  I would never buy or recommend the low end spirits now-that isn't the case for the SCG based on what I've seen.

ChaoSki

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »
I don't think they really need to. I think originals prices are on point (dirt cheap to be honest).

I really struggle to consider any upper models mostly due to price increase ratio. All of the premium models/side tables and Summits.....end up costing 150%-400%.

To me it's like buying a $20k car for $40-50k with all options. Just doesn't make sense.

I can understand 10-25% increase for options/accessories but the second I pay 50% of the actual grill price, I just don't see it how it's worth it.

Not saying that the stuff they have is not cool or people shouldn't get it. I just can't justify spending it and to me the biggest appeal of the kettles is the price point.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 06:41:51 AM »
SCG should be viewed as a longer term value, not "extra features I can maybe add myself" since more of it consists of more SS parts, and because it'll use less fuel, and because once dialed in should require less effort/better food. At least that's the hope.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ChaoSki

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:51 AM »
SCG should be viewed as a longer term value, not "extra features I can maybe add myself" since more of it consists of more SS parts, and because it'll use less fuel, and because once dialed in should require less effort/better food. At least that's the hope.

I just don't see it and to be honest, regular Webers last a VERY VERY long time as is so I'm not sure SS parts really make a difference.

Less fuel/effort and even better food are all questionable IMO.....effort is kind of up to the user, I don't mind the extra effort :)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »
Honestly, on its normal lines Weber should have considered raising prices over cutting quality.  For example, the low end spirit gas grills are $399 and $499, depending on 2/3 burners, in 2016.  That's the same price as 30 years ago.  Obviously, the quality is crap now compared to then.  Weber made its name on well designed, well made products, and I think the SCG might be a look back to that.  Both the gas grills and the kettles debuted (and to some extent still are) WELL above the price points of other grills (like 4x as much, IIRC) but they're still here (and grilling) while tons of crap has come and gone.  Am I rushing out to buy a SCG?  No.  I am glad they didn't cut a million corners on it and priced it at what it is going to be priced at.  While I don't think the price is going down (which was the question here), based on Weber's history, I think it is extremely unlikely that it goes up for a while.  I would never buy or recommend the low end spirits now-that isn't the case for the SCG based on what I've seen.

Weber can make as many budget, low cost, diffusion brand, barebones, Jumbo Jumbo Joe XL's, lower quality products as much as they want as long as it subsidizes the higher quality fun stuff like the Ranch Kettle, Summits, and WSM's. Business decisions can also come from the distributor side. If Sears and Home Depot says "Yo Weber we really want to sell one of your gassers at $CHEAP and in return here's a bajillion dollars", you deliver. Otherwise another company is going to fill in that space and rip off your design along the way. 
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 07:40:53 AM »
What I've found here in Canada is that at the official BBQ stores the products never go on sale. The big box stores however may have a sale at the end of the season.

As for Weber's Spirit line, I see that as their loss leader, to get people looking at Weber gassers.

ChaoSki

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »
Weber can make as many budget, low cost, diffusion brand, barebones, Jumbo Jumbo Joe XL's, lower quality products as much as they want as long as it subsidizes the higher quality fun stuff like the Ranch Kettle, Summits, and WSM's. Business decisions can also come from the distributor side. If Sears and Home Depot says "Yo Weber we really want to sell one of your gassers at $CHEAP and in return here's a bajillion dollars", you deliver. Otherwise another company is going to fill in that space and rip off your design along the way.

People are quickly learning that buying a cheap mumbo jumbo grill is completely worthless. They last 2-3 years IF that......at that point they are completely useless and deteriorated.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 11:07:42 AM »

I just don't see it and to be honest, regular Webers last a VERY VERY long time as is so I'm not sure SS parts really make a difference.

Less fuel/effort and even better food are all questionable IMO.....effort is kind of up to the user, I don't mind the extra effort :)

I used the SS parts as an example, but it's one reason the current 26 costs $300, double what a 22 Premium costs at retail. It's not only production costs that go up but warranty costs, all of which dovetail into retail. And then factor in the reduced popularity for a grill most people don't need and economies scale plummet even more. Now consider Summit after that.

Should the lesser model cost say, $1,000? I don't know, but I'd wager the same sorts of "It's not worth it" comments would still prevail, the only difference being Weber and retailers wouldn't make as much money.

Again, when you say you don't mind extra cooking effort and (probably) paying for extra charcoal, a few bucks at a time vs. one large grill payment, that's your value judgement being stated, it has little to do with what someone else may feel. And that's cool, but to imply someone else might enjoy paying for extra fuel and potentially working harder over the course of long ownership is a bit of a stretch IMO.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 11:12:44 AM »

For example: Jumbo Joe 22"

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-Jumbo-Joe-22-Premium-Charcoal-Grill/39649584

$68 worth of pucker-butt glory, because another $12 to have proper heat control isn't seen as "a good deal" because the 18's grate is smaller, or the stretch to $99 for a proper 22 isn't understood either. It's all about price points.

That said, I bet the 22" JJ makes a dandy steak searing and cooking machine!