Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105605 times)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »
The Weber Kettle Fans public group. Definitely a different crowd sometimes. I've seen guys get criticized for buying Mavericks, Vortex, SnS and other accessories. I've even seen charcoal baskets bashed.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
Yeah there's a little more criticism there. I feel like there is a bit more "live and let live" here.

There is one other thing that I see there which is people marketing their own product without disclosing their affiliation.  I love that people have created there own Kettle products and are trying to grow their businesses, just disclose so the reader has all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
Yeah there's a little more criticism there. I feel like there is a bit more "live and let live" here.

There is one other thing that I see there which is people marketing their own product without disclosing their affiliation.  I love that people have created there own Kettle products and are trying to grow their businesses, just disclose so the reader has all the info.

There's definitely a lot of spam, and a whole lot of ignorance.
The non-weber related groups are even worse.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2016, 10:26:41 AM »
Again. Promote your product. That's the American way, just disclose your affiliation. Plenty of guys promote products here but their signatures indicate the affiliation, Facebook it's just a name and unless you know them you're flying blind. There's a ton of new people discovering BBQ these days, I'm a noob like they are, and they're looking for advice and they're getting sold without knowing it sometimes which doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's just my opinion.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2016, 11:11:34 AM »
I think you have a good point about that. Transparency is always a good thing.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
Again. Promote your product. That's the American way, just disclose your affiliation. Plenty of guys promote products here but their signatures indicate the affiliation, Facebook it's just a name and unless you know them you're flying blind. There's a ton of new people discovering BBQ these days, I'm a noob like they are, and they're looking for advice and they're getting sold without knowing it sometimes which doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's just my opinion.

I think it would be nice if those groups let us join them using our business page.  That way it'd be obvious who we are.  I disclose as often as I can when I post something that promotes the SnS, but it gets tiresome!  I've got to where I just don't fool with the groups much.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »

I think it would be nice if those groups let us join them using our business page.  That way it'd be obvious who we are.  I disclose as often as I can when I post something that promotes the SnS, but it gets tiresome!  I've got to where I just don't fool with the groups much.

I think that's a facebook thing isn't it? Pages can interact with other pages, but pages can't join groups.
I am sometimes amused by the groups, but it's really not a great place for community.
Same questions over and over again. Fat cap up of fat cap down?

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »
@abc I agree. You should be allowed to post as your company. You have a good product Space from everything I see and you should promote it. Same goes for any other products that are sold.

It should just be noted accordingly.  I wonder if the issue of not allowing you to post as your company is a Facebook issue or an issue with the group itself?

mcgee10

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
The weber facebook page has a picture of it kind of . It will be released on April 6
I'm sticking with my rebuilt SS performer. But I will be looking at it on the 6th

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2016, 02:01:28 PM »
Yeah it's a Facebook limitation, and I'm sure they have their reasons, but at least for the barbecue communities it'd be better if we could post as our company.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #235 on: March 30, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »

I think that's a facebook thing isn't it? Pages can interact with other pages, but pages can't join groups.
I am sometimes amused by the groups, but it's really not a great place for community.

@Troy - How many times have you, David and I posted the link for how to clean a grill.  I did see recently the admin requested not posting links to other sites, so I have stopped since then.  That facebook group does have some good info in it, I just wish people would take the time to read through some past posts, or use the files section to post links there to commonly asked questions.  I posted a link to a good Brisket post on that group in the files section hoping others would add to it, but no dice.  Oh well.....it's not a bad group and I pickup so new tricks every once in a while....but WKC is definitely where its at!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »

@Troy - How many times have you, David and I posted the link for how to clean a grill.  I did see recently the admin requested not posting links to other sites, so I have stopped since then.  That facebook group does have some good info in it, I just wish people would take the time to read through some past posts, or use the files section to post links there to commonly asked questions.  I posted a link to a good Brisket post on that group in the files section hoping others would add to it, but no dice.  Oh well.....it's not a bad group and I pickup so new tricks every once in a while....but WKC is definitely where its at!

Yeah the whole "don't post links" thing happened after someone talked smack about the WKC and I stepped in to defend. They got butthurt and whined to the admins, calling all of us some elaborate 'spam ring' - which is funny because I rarely post WKC links (only when its very specific and relevant)
I won't mention any names, since this guy has already sent me a bunch of (completely bogus) legal threats.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
For what it's worth, I'll throw in my .02. 

I hope it's not a kamado style cooker at the high price as rumoured.  Many many years of trial and error have gone in to making quality ceramic kamados...grant it some do it better then others.  Now I don't have one due to their price point but my research tells me metal knockoffs aren't the same as ceramic so why try. Weber has a good product so why try and enter a market that's been pretty well owned by other companies for  decades especially for the same or more money.  Just keep doing what you already do so well...maybe make all your products available in all countries would turn some good revenue.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2016, 06:46:36 PM »
For what it's worth, I'll throw in my .02. 

I hope it's not a kamado style cooker at the high price as rumoured.  Many many years of trial and error have gone in to making quality ceramic kamados...grant it some do it better then others.  Now I don't have one due to their price point but my research tells me metal knockoffs aren't the same as ceramic so why try. Weber has a good product so why try and enter a market that's been pretty well owned by other companies for  decades especially for the same or more money.  Just keep doing what you already do so well...maybe make all your products available in all countries would turn some good revenue.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

FWIW, gas and charcoal grills were around before George hit on his good idea with the kettle and another one with the Genesis line.   That someone else "owns" a market niche shouldn't preclude Weber (or anyone else) from going there.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »
@ Lumpy Coal.  Won't happen simply because it doesn't work enough to make it profitable.  It's all to do with distribution.  Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart don't want a bunch of SKU's. If they order 10,000 units, they want all the same so it's easy to move. As I said before in another thread; You and I don't matter. Sure we like Webers, but we ain't gonna make money for them. Black makes money!