Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105577 times)

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »
Again. Promote your product. That's the American way, just disclose your affiliation. Plenty of guys promote products here but their signatures indicate the affiliation, Facebook it's just a name and unless you know them you're flying blind. There's a ton of new people discovering BBQ these days, I'm a noob like they are, and they're looking for advice and they're getting sold without knowing it sometimes which doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's just my opinion.

I think it would be nice if those groups let us join them using our business page.  That way it'd be obvious who we are.  I disclose as often as I can when I post something that promotes the SnS, but it gets tiresome!  I've got to where I just don't fool with the groups much.

I think that's a facebook thing isn't it? Pages can interact with other pages, but pages can't join groups.
I am sometimes amused by the groups, but it's really not a great place for community.
Same questions over and over again. Fat cap up of fat cap down?

@Troy - How many times have you, David and I posted the link for how to clean a grill.  I did see recently the admin requested not posting links to other sites, so I have stopped since then.  That facebook group does have some good info in it, I just wish people would take the time to read through some past posts, or use the files section to post links there to commonly asked questions.  I posted a link to a good Brisket post on that group in the files section hoping others would add to it, but no dice.  Oh well.....it's not a bad group and I pickup so new tricks every once in a while....but WKC is definitely where its at!

Yeah the whole "don't post links" thing happened after someone talked smack about the WKC and I stepped in to defend. They got butthurt and whined to the admins, calling all of us some elaborate 'spam ring' - which is funny because I rarely post WKC links (only when its very specific and relevant)
I won't mention any names, since this guy has already sent me a bunch of (completely bogus) legal threats.

Can I mention names???  ;)

I noticed the instance I think you are talking about and replied that my experience here was completely different and that the WKC was what led me to discover their group. He wasn't impressed. Not sure what happened to him that was so bad, but I just moved on and let that discussion pass on down the line.

On another note, I think forums are a far better format for sharing, searching and archiving information. Facebook is good for some interesting posts here and there, but I don't care for the format when it comes to searching for specific information.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
Again. Promote your product. That's the American way, just disclose your affiliation. Plenty of guys promote products here but their signatures indicate the affiliation, Facebook it's just a name and unless you know them you're flying blind. There's a ton of new people discovering BBQ these days, I'm a noob like they are, and they're looking for advice and they're getting sold without knowing it sometimes which doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's just my opinion.

I think it would be nice if those groups let us join them using our business page.  That way it'd be obvious who we are.  I disclose as often as I can when I post something that promotes the SnS, but it gets tiresome!  I've got to where I just don't fool with the groups much.

I think that's a facebook thing isn't it? Pages can interact with other pages, but pages can't join groups.
I am sometimes amused by the groups, but it's really not a great place for community.
Same questions over and over again. Fat cap up of fat cap down?

@Troy - How many times have you, David and I posted the link for how to clean a grill.  I did see recently the admin requested not posting links to other sites, so I have stopped since then.  That facebook group does have some good info in it, I just wish people would take the time to read through some past posts, or use the files section to post links there to commonly asked questions.  I posted a link to a good Brisket post on that group in the files section hoping others would add to it, but no dice.  Oh well.....it's not a bad group and I pickup so new tricks every once in a while....but WKC is definitely where its at!

Yeah the whole "don't post links" thing happened after someone talked smack about the WKC and I stepped in to defend. They got butthurt and whined to the admins, calling all of us some elaborate 'spam ring' - which is funny because I rarely post WKC links (only when its very specific and relevant)
I won't mention any names, since this guy has already sent me a bunch of (completely bogus) legal threats.

Can I mention names???  ;)

I noticed the instance I think you are talking about and replied that my experience here was completely different and that the WKC was what led me to discover their group. He wasn't impressed. Not sure what happened to him that was so bad, but I just moved on and let that discussion pass on down the line.

On another note, I think forums are a far better format for sharing, searching and archiving information. Facebook is good for some interesting posts here and there, but I don't care for the format when it comes to searching for specific information.

We're probably better off leaving names out of it :)

And I totally agree on the forum/group thing. Forums are great for discussing things and refining knowledge amongst  the community. No one in the facebook groups learns or adapts, hell, half of the people don't even pay attention to the conversations. Even if they did, each topic only lives for about a day and then its buried.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #242 on: March 30, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
Facebook is getting to the point where it drive me nuts. It's devolved into click-bait and downright nastiness between complete strangers.. Makes some of the old AOL chatrooms look like choir practice. And some of those were bad back in the day. The Weber Kettle Fans FB page (unlike WKC) is definitely like your typical Internet group/forum. People with no filter, telling you your food looks gross, etc. I just kill them with kindness and not fall into their troll traps....

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2016, 06:15:16 AM »
Kinda feel like this thread is diverging into two different conversations. Perhaps a new thread discussing Facebook groups, etc. could be cleaved off this one?

Cheers!
Weber 22" Performer Touch-N-Go, Master-Touch 22" Ivory Special Edition, Smokey Mountain Cooker 22", Genesis EP-320 Blue, Jumbo Joe, Gas-Go-Anywhere... oh... and a Traeger Texas Elite Pellet-pooper.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2016, 06:22:01 AM »
Kinda feel like this thread is diverging into two different conversations. Perhaps a new thread discussing Facebook groups, etc. could be cleaved off this one?

Cheers!

I think you are correct. I think the rumors and leaks on the new grill are going slow and we're all just killing time :) 6 more days...
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

kevinsmith812

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2016, 04:15:46 PM »
All these leaks are killing me!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2016, 04:20:54 PM »
Worst thing is, I'm working Days on the 6th.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »
In two weeks are we going to have a new category below the WSM for the new grill?
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2016, 06:03:20 PM »
In two weeks are we going to have a new category below the WSM for the new grill?

not likely, unless a lot of folks here pony up the dough to get them new, which(given that most of us are on budgets) probably won't happen
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »
Ever since around p.15 when I click to see posts I've missed in this thread, it takes me to the post after the one it should have taken me to. Only happens in this thread. Weird.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2016, 07:38:09 PM »
Yep, looks like a double walled porcelain coated Kamado to me.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2016, 08:24:57 PM »
Maybe the outside walls will be a 26" kettle and the inside walls will be 22". I really can't see hem getting away with a standard 18.5" cooking grate like the bge
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #252 on: April 01, 2016, 07:26:47 AM »

not likely, unless a lot of folks here pony up the dough to get them new, which(given that most of us are on budgets) probably won't happen

We probably won't even be able to afford the used ones on Craigslist.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #253 on: April 01, 2016, 07:50:40 AM »
Just like I have no desire to buy a BGE for over $600 I won't sweat not having any other outdoor cooking device that is over $600 after using my Kettles and Smokers.   

If money were no object that would be a different story
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »
I'm starting to think the higher priced one might be a full stainless model with the lower priced one being enameled. That last photo looks like stainless steel to me.
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B