Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105656 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »
I considered it being a Kamado but to me that doesn't make much sense for Weber. Kamado production is nowhere near as scalable for production as sheet metal components- which Weber has over 60 years of in house experience. Kamado's would require a difference porcelain curing line as their dimensions and weights are totally different than other products.

You have to look at what weber is built to do and that's metal work not ceramics.

Kamado style cookers don't have to be made of ceramic.     Double walled sheet metal with insulation in between ala Char Grill's Akorn. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »
I considered it being a Kamado but to me that doesn't make much sense for Weber. Kamado production is nowhere near as scalable for production as sheet metal components- which Weber has over 60 years of in house experience. Kamado's would require a difference porcelain curing line as their dimensions and weights are totally different than other products.

You have to look at what weber is built to do and that's metal work not ceramics.

Kamado style cookers don't have to be made of ceramic.     Double walled sheet metal with insulation in between ala Char Grill's Akorn.

Great point but essentially what this is doing is building a double walled, insulated wsm. Cool,  but I wouldn't put money on it being the next product.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »

Great point but essentially what this is doing is building a double walled, insulated wsm. Cool,  but I wouldn't put money on it being the next product.

Someone over at BBQ Brethren linked to a 2 year old post on this very topic and this little bit was quoted in it:

“Sooner or later, the big boys are going to get into it,” Bobby Brennan, the president of Kamado Joe, said recently. “If Weber doesn’t make one soon, somebody in their strategy department needs to get fired.”

Weber thinks otherwise. “We have been carefully researching ceramic outdoor cookers,” said Michael Kempster, an executive vice president of Weber-Stephen Products, “and while they have a small and enthusiastic following, most outdoor grilling enthusiasts find them too expensive and too complicated to use.”

Perhaps Mr Kempster changed his mind?

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »
I went down the dark Kamado path for a while and I kind of agree with Kempster.  It's a ton of money for not much real estate and getting to the coals is a pain in the ass.  Granted for winter cooking it's nice to cook on something so well insulated but you still need to dig them out of the snow.  My Weber on the other hand, I can pull in and out of the garage, no problem.

Full disclosure, I do still have a mini-egg only because I got a really good deal on it and it's just fun to say I have an egg.  But unless Weber can make a reasonably priced Kamado, I'll stick with my kettles.  Hell, who am I kidding?  Slap a Weber label on it and I'll probably buy one.  ::)

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
i haz a curious. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »
My prediction.     Kamado that's combination charcoal/gas.   Has a way to easily regulate the temperature (pellet?) Will be part of the Summit family and price will be around $1400ish.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »

If Stephen says "NO", I am not betting against him.

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
That. So not guess gas or kamado.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2016, 04:50:55 PM »
It doesn't look like a Kamado style cooker to me. If you look to the right of the guy, there is something reflective that looks like part of a chrome grill grate that is typical of the style Weber produces. You can clearly see this is in close proximity to the edge of the cooker. This close proximity would rule out the thickness that is a Kamado type cooker.

That box on the right has some sort of dial or control on it. I'm guessing this thing is a variation of a WSM and that box on the right is either a pellet box or an ATC device? The lid is definitely hinged.

The fact that the announcer mentions cooking a steak for breakfast suggest the speed and convenience of gas? My original guess of a propane WSM might not be too far off the mark?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:56:43 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »
the Pellet Performer Gold

aka  Pellet Performer WSM Gold  ;D
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2016, 05:45:39 PM »
Weber is introducing their new cleaning system thats replacing the current one-touch sweeper blade and handle design to a no-touch design. Its electric powered by a on-board biomass generator that runs a motor, and/or another small device, that spins a bunch of razor blades around and simultaneously polishes the bowl of the kettle. They're calling it the 604 cleaning system.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:44:44 PM by Hell Fire Grill »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2016, 08:09:16 PM »
Hinged lid and pellet hopper on the right hand side in that video? We know it's not gas but it could be pellet. Pellet grill with integrated I grill interface would be very interesting. I know the pellet pitch is its a smoker AND a grill, just like the pitch in that video.

That's what I thought when I saw the video. There are third party pellet addons for the WSM, so maybe they're trying to build that up. I know it was said it's not a Kamado, but non-ceramic solutions like the Akorn work very well. I love mine.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:13:13 PM by AZRaptor »
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2016, 08:21:24 PM »
based on the teaser video(commentary and visuals), i'm gonna say it's some sort of pellet poopin kettle. probably with a hinged lid and possibly a side table. and maybe propane assist in some way(quick gas grillin ala weber q style) using the 1lb'er connections/controls that come on the performers.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2016, 04:40:48 AM »
based on the teaser video(commentary and visuals), i'm gonna say it's some sort of pellet poopin kettle. probably with a hinged lid and possibly a side table. and maybe propane assist in some way(quick gas grillin ala weber q style) using the 1lb'er connections/controls that come on the performers.

Yes, I haven't been keeping up with it like y'all but a Weber pellet grill would make a lot of sense. They're getting more and more popular and with good reason. They're versatile, convenient, and provide the smoke flavor that only a live fire can provide, but keep the smoke clean for you automatically. They don't come cheap, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2016, 06:44:50 AM »
I have been out of touch for a while but got the email from Weber this morning. I am excited either way to see what they come up with. Maybe it will be something revolutionary...
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow