Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fresh vs Frozen ?  (Read 2316 times)

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
Fresh vs Frozen ?
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
OK here's the deal. I caught a killer deal on wings from our local butcher last Monday. I was working at home so I had time to fire up my new 22 for only the second time. Rummaged through the recycle bin and made myself a bootleg Vortex out of a coffee can. Temps held between 475-500 the whole cook.  I was proud of myself, best wings I had ever cooked and probably top 5 I have ever eaten. So, the second mongo pack of wings I froze for the 'Skins game. My wife raved to our son(who's a chef) he said "make them up Pops I gotta try these". To make a long story short, I was disappointed. They were good but not as juicy, fall off the bone as the first batch. EVERYTHING was the same except these were frozen and I cut them up to fit more on the grill. Thoughts, suggestions ?   
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Fresh vs Frozen ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:46:22 AM »
I do a mix of fresh and frozen and haven't noticed any difference.  I have been brining wings more often than I used to and that might help out a bit.  I'm not even sure if I have ever bought truly fresh wings...I have a feeling the ones I get at Safeway are previously frozen but I might be wrong.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:27:28 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  I almost always brine as well. We do pork neck bones(poor mans ribs, typically $.99 a/lb here in the south) every couple months. I have noticed the same effect with them as well, but this the first time with chicken. Thanks for your thoughts!

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:22:43 PM »
I have done both fresh and frozen and do not notice a difference.  Since I have been using  my baskets with indirect  heat in the center and the wings circling  on the outside.  My wife likes them better.  I put a dry rub on the night before and never thought to brine wings but will try now.
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 02:30:22 PM »
Fresh...makes a big difference imo...theres olenty of online content about fresh vs frozen meat post cook differences
Grills

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
I notice a difference when I don't thaw them first.  Thawed/fresh wings certainly allow more of the rub to adhere, but I think frozen wings somehow cook up to be more dry.  I'll eat either though....

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:29:02 PM »
Maybe I should clarify, the wings were thawed before cooking. I am thinking maybe,by cutting into pieces they may have released more moisture than the previous cook.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 05:36:55 PM »
Imo frozen meat is definitely drier.  Just looking at the rooftops of fresh vs frozen...fresh meat will be more tender and moist.

Its most noticeable with high grade steak..like boneless ribeye
Grills

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:11:44 AM »
I like fresh better.   When meats are frozen, the ice crystals cut the muscle fibers, thereby allowing the cells to leak their juiciness out during cooking.   Frozen meats end up a little drier.  I've found that dry brining the night before seems to help.  Skin gets crispy but the meat is nice and juicy.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie