Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which should I keep Base model Weber or master built knockoff  (Read 4990 times)

rangerdanger

• Smokey Joe
Both 22"
Before you come in and start bashing let me explain...
I have have the master built for a year. I use it a ton and love it. The draw back, it has one daisy vent on the bottom and one on top. I don't slow cook in it often because I have a propane smoker but I do like to do it sometimes.

Today I picked up the Weber for $20. I was hoping it has an old model with the three bottom daisy vents. It's not. But I couldn't pass it up at $20. Now I'm wondering if it will cook better than my master built. Are the Webers thicker metal? This model doesn't look appealing with is open bottom. So please convert me.
Until then I'll keep hunting for a diamond in the ruff Weber
Thanks

I guess I can't post pics yet.

rangerdanger

• Smokey Joe
Re: Which should I keep Base model Weber or master built knockoff
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »
Also I have been a lurker for years. I have some upgrades on my master built and plan to get a s&s and other stuff in the future.
Thanks

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
Use whatever works for you but you are on a weber kettle forum asking a bunch of people who love weber kettles which you should keep. You know where I'm going with this right?....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
Give the Weber a couple cooks and I think you'll see why we all really enjoy using them.

And welcome!

rangerdanger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »
Yea. Understood.

My question is, is the Weber with the fan ash cleaner and open slots better quality?

And how do you control the heat?

rangerdanger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »
Thanks Austin. Yea that's a good idea

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
Yea. Understood.

My question is, is the Weber with the fan ash cleaner and open slots better quality?

I like the ash sweeps, they work well and make clean up a breeze. Some people like the 3 wheelers but I think the ash sweeps are ideal for an every day cooker.

Heat is a function of amount of fuel and oxygen. Do you have a chimney starter? Start with it 1/2-3/4 full of charcoal and dump it when the flames are coming out the top. Cover about half of the charcoal grate with coals, leave the other half open, put the cooking grate in, the lid on, and let it preheat for 10-15 minutes with all the vents open. This will be your basic set up for direct heat grilling (over the coals) or bake/roasting at approx 350 (on the side opposite the coals). The 350 is a very general estimation and will depend on what fuel you are using, how warm or cold it is outside, how windy it is, etc. Generally you will always cook with the lid on unless you are going for a really high heat sear. If you are cooking indirect for more than one hour you will likely need to add some more charcoal.

Direct heat is good for burgers, steaks, boneless skinless chicken breasts, pork chops, grilled veggies - things that take less time and about an 1.5" thick or less. Indirect heat is good for bone-in chicken pieces, very thick steaks (do a sear and slide or a reverse sear over the direct side of the grill), pork loin, prime rib - things that need to cook more slowly to avoid having the outside burned before the inside is fully cooked.

You can adjust the heat up by adding more fuel. You can adjust the heat down by reducing oxygen with the vents or using less fuel. As a general rule, always leave the top vent more open than the bottom vent. I try to keep the top vent fully open and never close it more than half way.

I hope that helps. Feel free to continue asking questions, we are here to help! Oh - and it can help to get a fire or two set up and monitor it without food on it. Compared to food, charcoal is cheap, and ruining food because you aren't controlling temps is no fun.

Good luck!

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »

Yea. Understood.

I like the ash sweeps, they work well and make clean up a breeze. Some people like the 3 wheelers but I think the ash sweeps are ideal for an every day cooker.

Heat is a function of amount of fuel and oxygen. Do you have a chimney starter? Start with it 1/2-3/4 full of charcoal and dump it when the flames are coming out the top. Cover about half of the charcoal grate with coals, leave the other half open, put the cooking grate in, the lid on, and let it preheat for 10-15 minutes with all the vents open. This will be your basic set up for direct heat grilling (over the coals) or bake/roasting at approx 350 (on the side opposite the coals). The 350 is a very general estimation and will depend on what fuel you are using, how warm or cold it is outside, how windy it is, etc. Generally you will always cook with the lid on unless you are going for a really high heat sear. If you are cooking indirect for more than one hour you will likely need to add some more charcoal.

Direct heat is good for burgers, steaks, boneless skinless chicken breasts, pork chops, grilled veggies - things that take less time and about an 1.5" thick or less. Indirect heat is good for bone-in chicken pieces, very thick steaks (do a sear and slide or a reverse sear over the direct side of the grill), pork loin, prime rib - things that need to cook more slowly to avoid having the outside burned before the inside is fully cooked.

You can adjust the heat up by adding more fuel. You can adjust the heat down by reducing oxygen with the vents or using less fuel. As a general rule, always leave the top vent more open than the bottom vent. I try to keep the top vent fully open and never close it more than half way.

I hope that helps. Feel free to continue asking questions, we are here to help! Oh - and it can help to get a fire or two set up and monitor it without food on it. Compared to food, charcoal is cheap, and ruining food because you aren't controlling temps is no fun.

Good luck!
excellent advice

rangerdanger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the great advice man.
Yea I'm pretty good at cooking in the kettle and keeping it 325. Just wondering about that Weber bottom design. I really wanted the three vents style.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »
Great points for everyday cooking. With the daisy wheels, you have to go in and get dirty after every cook to push the ashes though the vent. With the sweeps, just move the lever back and fourth to empty ashes. I love the daisy wheels for low and slow though.

I'm pretty sure once you learn how to smoke on charcoal, you'll sell the propane smoker.
Still need a 22” yellow

rangerdanger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »
Haha. I hear ya.
I like smoking small stuff like ribs and brisket in the kettle. I have some doubts with the blade vent style. But yes. That's why I want the daisy vents.
And when I do several cut up chickens to smoke, the smoker is perfect and worry free.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
The debate on which is better the One Touch or the Daisy or also known as the Three wheeler has gone on since the One touch was brought out.   Both have there good and bad points, Daisy wheel is great for low and slow, the OT is ok for low and slow but not as good as a Daisy wheel.

The OT is great for cleaning out the bowl and easier to adjust the vent opening, the daisy wheel is not as easy, but some enjoy the the daisy wheel for all of their cooking.

Until I got my Ranch all of my low and slow cooking was done on a OT kettle, but I can run either just as well, you will not go wrong with either one!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

rangerdanger

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the comment Ron. Great points.

I will definitely try it.

I need to check out the cleaning and maybe light restore threads now.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 05:24:06 PM »
Between Austin and Ron (crushed it guys) I'd say all you have left to do is cook on your new kettle a few times and see what works best. If you find you like the daisy wheels better, well then, find yourself a three wheeler weber! 😀

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
Which should I keep Base model Weber or master built knockoff?

Well why not keep them both? I don't see any piks so I can't see what condition the grills are in. I'm a Weber guy so I lean to that side if I could only have one. They will last many, many years with little maintenance. I keep all mine in the garage out of the weather, but if they are stored outside I would clean the ash out the next day. Getting rained on, moisture in the ash can be bad if its sitting there wet all the time.

I never have cooked on a 3 vent daisy wheel. All mine are the one touch system sweep. I have no problem locking temperature in at 225*, 350*, or higher depending on how far open the sweep is. The farther you open it, the higher heat you get. When smoking low temp, the sweep is barely cracked open to let in just a little bit of air. My top vent in the lid is always wide open.

I do have a 22" WSM with 3 daisey wheel vents on the bottom and when I smoke with it, all three vents are barely cracked open to smoke at 225* or 250*, same as the kettle, the top vent in the lid is always wide open to let the smoke out so it don't get stale. The next day I salvage the un burnt charcoal, then dump the ash out of the bowl, and take a 4" paint brush and and sweep all ash out and put back in garage, cleaned and ready for the next cook.

Like I said, I never owned a kettle with 3 bottom vents, but I think I would prefer the one touch system, and the ash bucket is nicer over the ash pan.  Clean up is easier. I don't get how many people say the 3 vent one is better for smoking. I smoke a lot on my kettle, direct, indirect cooking  and have great results with it either way.

If cooking on a daisy wheel kettle I would take the cooking grates out and dump the kettle. I wouldn't stand there all day trying to push the ash through the vents. Take a paint brush and sweep the fine dust off.