Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Restoration, *pics* first RRR complete....  (Read 10503 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: First Restoration, need help! *pics* convert to modified 7444?
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 09:43:53 AM »
@bcmillerkcco15 -  I was just working on my second RRR last night on a kettle I picked up over the weekend.  On this one and my SS performer the bottom was really easy compared to the lid.  I used easy off on the bottom part of the kettle on both and it was a breeze.  Last night I gave up on my lid and decided to just burn a really hot bed of coals in hopes of the carbon build up in the lid freeing up a bit.  It worked a little but is going to need a serious round of razor blade scraping.  With the bottom I wanted to clean it up to see how the leg welds, vents, etc, looked.  With the lid, I know that is in pretty good shape and is just going to get a new round of carbon build up after a few cooks.  Your persistance with you lid is motivating me for a second round! I'll post pics of my RRR once I'm done!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:51:18 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
Re: First Restoration, *pics* first RRR complete....
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2015, 02:13:39 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed Thanks!  I know the struggle on the top dome lid, I know it's somewhat frowned upon...but I broke down and used EasyOff on the lid, and lots of fresh razor blades and 0000 steel wool. Can't wait to see how yours turns out after a second round.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:35:18 PM by bcmillerkcco15 »
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
- Dude

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
@bcmillerkcco15 -  I tried Easy Off on a spot.  It really doesn't do anything to losen up the carbon build up IMHO.  I'll probably take the second whack at it this weekend while I am smoking something on another grill.  I know it will clean up nice, I just don't want to put the time into it on a weekday!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed I was having a real hard time getting the area around the damper holes, I soaked them overnight in EasyOff and that crap just slipped right off with a razor blade. Either way, best of luck, I look forward to seeing the progress.
- Dude

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
Your welcome ;)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2015, 04:39:39 PM »
@bcmullerkcco15  I'll have to try an overnight soak.  Luckily the area around the vents was already flaking off so that part was no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »
So....trucking right along SS Performer frame, broken down, cleaned, and sanded ready for primer.  I've been looking around, rustoleum has a line of spray paint labeled "hammered" it has a hammered finish, kind of looks like the dome lid finish on the Weber. I know the purists will have a fit, but I'm thinking it would make a nice match (in black of course) Or should I try to match the original gloss black?
While I think on that, I polished all the original hardware, still have several sessions before I'm done, but they are cleaning up nice for being original 93 model.
As always thanks for checking it out, and all input is greatly appreciated.

The hammered might look pretty good, if it were me doing it I would do another piece of metal to get an idea of what your cart would look like. If you know already then go for it!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2015, 06:23:27 PM »
@Harleysmoker, many thanks man, you saved me lots of heartache on that lid....
- Dude

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2015, 06:27:27 PM »
@1911Ron definitely good advice, I'll try a test piece to see if I like the look before I paint the entire frame. I have an old craftsman vice I refinished and painted with the rustoleum "hammered" and it turned out great.  I think the finishes will compliment each other...but I don't want to stray too far from original...
- Dude

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
@1911Ron definitely good advice, I'll try a test piece to see if I like the look before I paint the entire frame. I have an old craftsman vice I refinished and painted with the rustoleum "hammered" and it turned out great.  I think the finishes will compliment each other...but I don't want to stray too far from original...
It's your grill do it the way you want, others have modded their grill so why not?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
Re: First Restoration, need help! *pics* first RRR complete....
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2015, 05:57:18 PM »
It's been awhile since the last update, today I finally had time to put it all back together. Before I dive in to the finishing details, big thanks to Brian, @zavod44 for the custom handle, lid rollers, vent damper, and table top handle. They turned out great, Brian does fantastic work and it just made the whole project pop.  So, I know that I was very fortunate in finding a really well cared for code "P" Weber Performer SS, but I'm really pleased with the finished product. Complete tear down, removal of 22 years of grilled on gunk and grease (thanks to the advice from all who commented) I went through lots of simple green, razor blades, and 0000.  Cleaned and polished all stainless steel and aluminum. Was fortunate enough to remove the thumb screw and original ash sweep handle, all were cleaned and re-installed. Cleaned and repainted the wheels(red inserts). Painted and polished the original Weber badge(red).  Sanded, primed, and painted the frame, gloss black and reassembled with new stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts......I think that's about it. I had a blast with this thing, it won't be my last. Thanks everyone for checking it out and offering advice along the way. First pic is the day I brought it home, 40 dollar Craigslist find...

Red thread protectors.....

- Dude

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2015, 06:21:15 PM »
Very nice work. What was the first cook on it?

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
@Jon ran out of time, haven't fired it up yet.....tomorrow smoke will roll
- Dude

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2015, 06:43:07 PM »
Looks Awesome! Nice job! I really like the red Weber logo badge. I have a 96 red SS sitting in Ohio, waiting for a family member to bring it to me. I hope my restore turns out as good as yours!

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »
@Harleysmoker thanks!  I enjoyed the red badge project, a Dremel tool is a must have.....
Coated the whole thing in paint and Dremeled/polished all the paint off the parts I wanted exposed.
- Dude