Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My best vortex chicken wings with blue cheese salad  (Read 5376 times)

apt323

• WKC Brave
Re: My best vortex chicken wings with blue cheese salad
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 07:13:11 AM »
I have to tell you thanks for the how to on the wings.  Me and the wife have made them a lot of times since I read this post.  They turn out delicious, crispy and cant stop eating them good. 

We make two different batches every time we cook them.  One being with Franks red hot and the other a thrown together garlic parmesan version and both are awesome!  I also save one of each batch and eat them before being seasoned up and I have not found a bad way of doing them. 

Thanks again @austin87
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »
@austin87 - Which size vortex is this?  Want to order one this week but a little unsure of what size to get for my performer.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »
I've been doing this flour method with great success this past month. I find I like to sauce my wings as I'm eating to avoid losing that crispy breading I worked so hard to get. Though they never last too long anyway. 
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed I have a small and a medium. The medium is too big for my 18" but I haven't used the small on my 22" yet. I think a small vortex filled to the brim should create the same high heat as a 1/2-3/4 filled medium but I'm not sure.

If you have an 18" and want to have a vortex that will fit that and a performer, go small. Otherwise a medium works great for a 22" and will definitely also work in a 26".

@apt323 and @AcrossFromHoss I'm glad it works for you! There might be other ways but so far I think it is the best method outside of a true deep fry, AND I actually like that they have the great crisp while being less greasy than a fried wing.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed I have a small and a medium. The medium is too big for my 18" but I haven't used the small on my 22" yet. I think a small vortex filled to the brim should create the same high heat as a 1/2-3/4 filled medium but I'm not sure.

If you have an 18" and want to have a vortex that will fit that and a performer, go small. Otherwise a medium works great for a 22" and will definitely also work in a 26".

Thanks for the info @austin87!  I just ordered a medium one.  I've been putting it off for a while now, but after seeing your wings it can't get here fast enough!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »
Yup. I gotta say thanks too @austin87 as I was pretty much about to give up on my Vortex. The breading trick works beauty. Prior to doing this I was getting soggy wings and got better results cooking traditional off-set....especially on an 18.

My wings finish in about a half hour:

Could they stand some improvement....yes. Would I get rid of my Vortex....no. Do I see myself using the Vortex for anything but wings....no.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
My best vortex chicken wings with blue cheese salad
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
Got too tired of waiting for my vortex to arrive.  Used my baskets tonight with a chunk of pecan on the cooking grate.  Overfilled chimney and the best wings I've ever had.  Who knew you could coat grilled food with flour!

Yup folks, these are grilled wings, not fried!

BEST WINGS EVER!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:28:09 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 01:09:13 AM »
I have never heard of braaing with flour. Can't wait to try this.
Small tips like these make the forum so valuable.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 06:49:38 AM »
@Bruce_Frost  - Was planning on smoking several racks of ribs today.  After trying the flour coated wings last night, I may be totally redoing my plans for today.  They were ridiculous!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 11:00:11 AM »
Wow, those look great coming off the grill.
-Keith

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 12:40:42 PM »
Close up of chicken looks so crispy, almost fried. I will certainly be dredging my chicken in flour in the future. It's always nice to keep the spice simple. Salt and pepper can go a very long way
C&B Blue Performer