Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gas Assist Woes  (Read 2397 times)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Gas Assist Woes
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:12:09 PM »
Has anyone ever had their gas assist on their performer crap out?  I went to use it tonight for the first time in a couple of weeks and I slowly turned the valve on the twenty pound tank like I always do, but when I turned the knob on the performer and pressed the button.  Nothing.  Just the rapid click of the spark.  Went out and bought a little blue bottle of propane.  screwed it in, but again, nothing.  So the problem isn't in the line feeding to the performer but somewhere in the gas assist itself, I'm a thinkin'. 

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Gas Assist Woes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »
Can you light it with a match? If so, probably some gunk in the burner. Just get a pipe cleaner and clean it out and you should be good to go.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 01:25:52 PM »
Mine has done that after sitting for a while, just do what Indy said.  It should start working again.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »
I don't think that's it.  I can't even hear gas flowing out the end.  I even unclipped the brass nozzle that fits into the burner tube and held it to my ear and there's nothing.  isn't there a pressure valve or something in the assembly?  wonder if it is stuck shut....

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »
also, forgot to mention I did run the burner cleaner through the tube and used a pin on the orifice in the brass nozzle.  when I unscrewed the small propane tank there was a hiss like there was pressure built up.  thing's only about three months old, I think it's time to send a message to the weber support folks  :-(

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:40:26 AM »
well, that's quality service!  I emailed Weber last night and I should have a new regulator assembly in 7 to 10 days!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 06:09:54 AM »
Got the replacement regulator two days later and that did the trick.  Not sure what happened to the first one.  the knob that opens and shuts the flow of gas on the original one did feel loose compared to the new one, I wonder if that broke? 

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »
I can honestly say I don't use the gas assist on my performer.  I like using the chimney too much.  If I didn't get it used I wouldn't have paid the extra coin for that feature.  I walked away from propane grilling about four years ago and never looked back and gas assist feels half way back to me.   

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56:48 PM »
I can honestly say I don't use the gas assist on my performer.  I like using the chimney too much.  If I didn't get it used I wouldn't have paid the extra coin for that feature.  I walked away from propane grilling about four years ago and never looked back and gas assist feels half way back to me.

flip the cone in the chimney upside down and use it with the gas assist.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »
flip the cone in the chimney upside down and use it with the gas assist.

I see your Hanna Montana and raise you a Van Halen  :P