Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe  (Read 3566 times)

Gettinit

• Smokey Joe
Smokey Joe
« on: July 18, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »
Someone gave me one as a gift.  I have a OTG kettle, a Genesis and a UDS.  I have found a way and reason to cook on all of those but have no clue what to do with that little Joe.  In the past, I have seared on my OTG and my chimney starter. 

What goodness am I missing out on?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Smokey Joe
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 08:06:32 AM »
buy the little chimney starter and go to town on a small cook. The SJ is alot of fun when you are cooking for only 1 or two.  My wife and I also make mini skewers and cook them individually on portable cookers and eat them as they come off the grill. It's alot of fun.Last but not least, you could have a picnic somewhere when your OTG would be a pain to carry.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 09:55:11 AM »
make a mini-wsm
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »
The SJ is great for around the fire pit when you want to have a bite to eat or for making smores.  Or for the mini wsm. 

I also wonder about using one as a really big ash pan under a bigger kettle.....

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
They make a great spot to put your chimney when lighting up your one touch.

Jeep
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

Gettinit

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 06:09:37 PM »

Jeep
That and putting hot ashes in it to cool before getting rid of it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 03:36:51 AM »

Definitely this.

I have also put it on the charcoal grate of my One-Touch for cooking … It's then at a nice height.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »
One thing I'm planning to do with 1 of my SJ's is take bolt cutters and trim a few bars off of one side of the grate to add fuel easier. Also thinking of using the tin can vent guard trick over vents as well.
SMOKE THIS!!

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
OK
I have a master touch and a classic green 22 inch
And a collection of smokey joes

they are killer, a great way to do sides that need different temps than the main cook

I can be doing a 5 hour cook of ribs, and have a smokey joe going that will take care of beans and grilled vegis

let the mind get creative, those smokey joes are like the last few strokes of a artist creating his masters piece
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »
You could use the grate up on stilts to give you additional cooking space on your 22.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
You have kids? You can always let you kids play on it to get them hooked on grilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 06:05:31 PM »

My son loves cooking on the smokey Joe.

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »
Perfect for romantic cooks for two. If you have kids, send them to grandparents, baby sitter, aunts, uncles, YMCA, whomever. Grill you and your wife or girlfriend (or both :)) some filet of beef or stuffed bone in pork chop. Maybe some grilled tomatoes (an aphrodisiac). A bottle or three of wine. I'll let you fill in the sensual details.