Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cornish game hens with no ketchup BBQ sauce  (Read 1467 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Cornish game hens with no ketchup BBQ sauce
« on: June 17, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »
Got some Cornish game hens, just under 2lbs each. Pat dry, heavily salt inside and out, set uncovered in the fridge on a rack for the skin to dry out for about 2 hours.

Fogo brand lump charcoal, charcoal rails, and drip pan in the middle

Breast side down to start, mix of pecan and cherry smoke

Non-ketchup based BBQ sauce is about 3 large Tbsp apricot preserves, 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp each soy sauce and Worcestershire, 1 heaping Tbsp brown sugar, and juice of half lemon (was just enough for a few separate glazes on the 2 hens. Should cover 1 regular chicken, adjust quantities as needed)

Almost done...

Just waiting for dinner to cool

Cooked about 1 hour, not exactly sure on temp. Used Thermapen to check doneness, pulled at 160 internal in the breast. I usually do chicken at at least 325 to avoid rubbery skin. You can also start lower then crank heat at the end, but I think a little higher temp seems to work best.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Cornish game hens with no ketchup BBQ sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »
Good looking Cornish game hens
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Prestige Worldwide

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:33:27 PM »
Nice cook!  How do you like that Fogo lump charcoal?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
@Prestige Worldwide use the "at" symbol followed by someone's name - good way to let them know you are looking for them.

I'm getting used to the Fogo. I have mostly been using Kingsford Competition briquettes and I like those a lot. They make way less ash and give off less of a chemical smell when they are lighting. Also been using a little Coshell, which I am starting to like after not being a fan the first few times I used it.

The Fogo definitely takes a pretty long time to get going, but it burns hot and pretty long with almost no ash. I have been breaking the enormous chunks into 3-4" pieces. I like that it burns really clean and imparts almost no flavor - then you can really let the smoking wood of your choice come out. It does take some getting used to and I'm still learning its quirks.

I'd say I'm 1/5 of the way through a 40lb bag so I'll update once I'm done 8)

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 06:16:36 AM »
Great color on those hens!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
Those look great.  Color on them is outstanding.  What temperature did you grill them at?  I have not Cornish Game hens in many many months.  Going to have to do some soon.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 10:08:05 AM »
@wyd not sure exact temp but around 325. I find if you go too low with chicken the skin is rubbery and gross rather than crispy.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 11:08:43 AM »
@wyd not sure exact temp but around 325. I find if you go too low with chicken the skin is rubbery and gross rather than crispy.
Thanks for the heads up.  Yeah I'm not a fan of rubbery skin that is for sure.  I rather go hotter than not enough heat.

Thanks again @austin87

Brian
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)