Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettlepizza oven...any reviews of users available?  (Read 4157 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Kettlepizza oven...any reviews of users available?
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »
Anybody have / try it that can post reviews?
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettlepizza oven...any reviews of users available?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »
Here's MacEggs startup thread.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/kettlepizza-first-time-firing-it-up/msg55372/#msg55372

I think there may be a thing on the main page on that.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
I got one, and have used it maybe 15 times. 

I like it, but it definitely has uneven heat (KP doesn't try to hide this; they actually recommend turning the pizzas as you cook them).  It's pretty easy to crank it up to 600 or more, but you need to be right there to keep turning your pizzas since it's so much hotter in the back than the front.  This problem is admittedly exacerbated in my situation, where I'm trying to keep my red kettle from getting too hot by using charcoal baskets-- I'm sure it would provide more even heat if I followed the directions to pile the coals against the side of the bowl.  And in a perfect world I'd have a beater black kettle that I'd dedicate for KP use.

But all things considered, it works really well, and is a lot of fun.  I busted at least 6 pizza stones, though, and finally switched over to a Lodge cast iron pizza pan as a result.  I think the KP stone would work better, but I don't have that kind of coin to throw at pizzas. 

My review is admittedly affected by the fact that I got a bargain price by using an old Groupon coupon-- I'd be less satisfied if I paid full price for this. 
One of the charcoal people.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
Thanks for reminding me that I had one …

I don't use it very often, but I am glad I have it.  Once you go thru the learning curve, it's a fun little accessory.  I recommend it.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Prestige Worldwide

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 02:55:35 AM »
I purchased one a few weeks ago and have used it every weekend so far (Pizza Fridays), about 4-5 sessions now. It is a tad expensive but it is well made and I really like it.

There is a learning curve as Mike mentioned, along with the uneven heat situation, but once you get the hang of it the pizzas cook fast and come out great.

Two things - first, I get better results using my own homemade pizza dough and the trick there is to use bread flour over all purpose flour, so much better!  The crust comes out crispier. Let me know if anyone would like the recipe. It is only flour, olive oil, water, yeast and salt and you can make it an hour ahead of time. Second, my research leads me to believe that the uneven heat thing is due to the done-shaped kid of the kettle and is easily rectified. You can purchase the $100 accessory from Kettle Pizza that basically places a flat steel lid on your kettle thus lowering the heat ceiling when you are using the Kettle Pizza which cooks the top of the pizza quicker and more evenly. Or you can do what I did and improvise.

I set the Kettle Pizza up as usual but the took the grate from my other kettle and set it on top of the Kettle Pizza. I then took the baking stone I had from when I used to cook my pizzas the oven and set it on the top grate and then covered that setup in aluminum foil and then covered it all with the kettle kid. This creates a lower heat ceiling in the kettle like the Kettle Pizza accessory. It is not as pretty as the Kettle Pizza accessory and I don't think it can achieve super high temps, but it is a $100 cheaper.

Again, I really like the Kettle Pizza because I really like eating pizza. This is the most success I have had replicating brick oven pizza at home and with more practice I think I will get better at it. I am just no where close to getting the 1000 degree temperatures that other users report. The highest I achieved so far has been 700.

Regardless, I am glad that I spent the money and I really enjoy using it. Also, I didn't purchase Kettle Pizza's baking stone. I purchased a steel baking sheet instead since I cracked so many baking stones in my lifetime. I just wanted to ensure that would never happen again. If you like brick oven style pizza and enjoy cooking I think you have to buy the Kettle Pizza. Good luck!

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 06:04:12 AM »
There's another one that I saw at Home Depot and was tempted to get, but didn't. It's called pizzaque

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PizzaQue-Pizza-Kit-for-Kettle-Grills-PC7001/205581858

Anyone ever heard of this one and how it compares to kettle pizza?

Just at a glance it looks like it's lower and has the lid tilted back, I'm wondering if this possible makes it hotter.

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 06:43:03 AM »
I have been eyeing the kettle pizza myself.  At $399 all in, I cant justify it at this point.

-Jeep
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:47 AM »
kettle Pizza is having a giveaway.  I was just on the website and saw the link on the top of the page.

https://gleam.io/3I4hV/kettlepizza-fathers-day-competition

I might just have to set up some social networking just so that I can enter these things.

-Jeep
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

dgodwin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 07:20:16 AM »
Id be interested in the dough recipe as I've struggled a bit with store bought dough.  My four year old helped make our first pizza and declared it the best dinner he's ever eaten.  I've only used it twice so far but have had moderate success. We did burn our first pizza the other day in about 3 minutes. I used about 10 small chunks of hickory and the kettle thermometer was way past pizza. After things cooled down to about 700 degrees we cooked these. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 07:42:10 AM »
KP looks awesome, but just seems pricey for what you get.  I always got great results with a standard pizza stone.  My new performer has a Stok grate and the pizza stone insert which is not as cool looking as the KP, but works well.

St. Louis style

Standard crust

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 07:43:09 AM »
Rippin' great cook there Sabbath !!!!!

Dough ideas for dgodwin?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 08:30:06 AM »
blksabbath, is that just flame from smoke wood flaring up or did you concentrate the coals in one end? Wondering if that would help the heat roll up the lid to the toppings better than the coals-in-the round method I've been using (no coals in center).
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
Here's my usual set-up:
Two baskets full of coal pushed to the back to make a V- shape, almost a chimney full loose raked back from the middle into the V, then a few chunks of wood on the loose coal.  Thats where the flame jumps up.  I get a pretty consistent 450*F this way.  The stone is centered in the Stok grate.  The back edge and sides of stone are almost directly over the fire.  It works pretty well.  In addition to the V, you can add a basket on the grate surface right next to the pizza.  You will have to spin the pie once or twice.  The surface of the stone is grate height so getting the peel in and under a pie can be tricky.  Obviously use cornmeal on the stone and peel.  Parchment paper works extremely well too.

I guess the main thing is concentrate the heat to the back and sides of the pizza, not directly under the stone.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
Keep an eye on CL listings.  I got mine NIB for cheap ($60) two years ago.  No way was I going to pass it up.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »
Another grate advantage of kettle-cooked pizzas, especially as we approach summertime in North America, is that you keep all of that heat outside.  I was cooking pizzas in the oven this winter, but I doubt I'll heat up the kitchen like that for the next few months. 
One of the charcoal people.