Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle 2 Zone -- Has anyone used this?  (Read 7153 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle 2 Zone -- Has anyone used this?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
I see the various aspects of this......here''s what I SEEM to notice about blocking, diffusing & such.....

Something like Hogsy's setup, or the cheap version using aluminium foil.....funnels the air toward the coals.....I've seen very old long time kettleheads use foil & trays / pans & such to do that....just because it occurred naturally to them & because they don't like to clean shit up out of the bottom of their kettle as much as i do.....

What Troy's saying about stale smoke could happen, I suppose, but likely on a very slow cook where the temp isn't high enough to keep things (air) moving......it's much more likely to happen in an offset.....not sufficient draw is the terrible nemesis there......
In a kettle, with a pan or tray or foil, follow the arrows in that diagram........you also see blue arrows, I assume indicating cooler air......granted, that is somewhat of a factor, however, the pan/ foil/ tray WILL heat up.....just like the rest of the "metal in the kettle" & provide some cooking heat of the other type that Gummi & Troy are talking about.....

The kettle is a perfect design......the air circulating is just like the Jet Streams around the Earth...... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
I see the various aspects of this......here''s what I SEEM to notice about blocking, diffusing & such.....

Something like Hogsy's setup, or the cheap version using aluminium foil.....funnels the air toward the coals.....I've seen very old long time kettleheads use foil & trays / pans & such to do that....just because it occurred naturally to them & because they don't like to clean shit up out of the bottom of their kettle as much as i do.....

What Troy's saying about stale smoke could happen, I suppose, but likely on a very slow cook where the temp isn't high enough to keep things (air) moving......it's much more likely to happen in an offset.....not sufficient draw is the terrible nemesis there......
In a kettle, with a pan or tray or foil, follow the arrows in that diagram........you also see blue arrows, I assume indicating cooler air......granted, that is somewhat of a factor, however, the pan/ foil/ tray WILL heat up.....just like the rest of the "metal in the kettle" & provide some cooking heat of the other type that Gummi & Troy are talking about.....

The kettle is a perfect design......the air circulating is just like the Jet Streams around the Earth...... ;D

Did you know that the Coriolis effect in the kettle causes different airflow in the US vs Australia? In the US it's better to keep your top vent facing west whereas in Australia it's better to face the top vent east. Ymmv!

I think Hogsy's diagram illustrates the convective airflow well.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 12:13:41 PM »
There's two kind of heat that cooks meat inside the kettle- radiant and convective. If you put a shield between the charcoal and the meat, you reduce radiant heat so it will cook slower. If you imagine a kettle full of meat, the meat closest to the burning charcoal cooks faster (aka burns if you are a noob). An expert like @1buckie uses a brick to dissipate this radiant heat so his turds near the brick cooks about as fast as the turds on the other end of kettle. The meat is more or less at the same ambient temperature and the domed lid equalizes the radiant heat over the cooking surface.

More here: http://www.wired.com/2013/07/gas-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/

An expert like @1buckie uses a brick to dissipate this radiant heat so his turds near the brick cooks about as fast as the turds on the other end of kettle.

'Cept I didn't know I was doing that until Winz told me I was...... :-[

Buckie - Your gift is a combination of natural talent and years of experience.  You don't need any "book learnin" like the majority of the rest of us.  :)

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »

Did you know that the Coriolis effect in the kettle causes different airflow in the US vs Australia? In the US it's better to keep your top vent facing west whereas in Australia it's better to face the top vent east. Ymmv!

I think Hogsy's diagram illustrates the convective airflow well.

All the more important to run pork counter-clockwise then, I would imagine? And, clockwise Down Under?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
@1buckie  BUY` EM BOOKS AND SEND TO SCHOOL  AND WATTA THEY DO // EAT THE BACKS OFF OF`EM

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 07:20:19 PM »
@ramsfan is this what you were showing my in your Performer?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 02:22:35 AM »
@ramsfan is this what you were showing my in your Performer?

Yes, I have that very item. Works well too.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 06:27:51 AM »
There's two kind of heat that cooks meat inside the kettle- radiant and convective. If you put a shield between the charcoal and the meat, you reduce radiant heat so it will cook slower. If you imagine a kettle full of meat, the meat closest to the burning charcoal cooks faster (aka burns if you are a noob). An expert like @1buckie uses a brick to dissipate this radiant heat so his turds near the brick cooks about as fast as the turds on the other end of kettle. The meat is more or less at the same ambient temperature and the domed lid equalizes the radiant heat over the cooking surface.

More here: http://www.wired.com/2013/07/gas-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/
An expert like @1buckie uses a brick to dissipate this radiant heat so his turds near the brick cooks about as fast as the turds on the other end of kettle.

'Cept I didn't know I was doing that until Winz told me I was...... :-[

History is full of accidental breakthroughs.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP