Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for info/pricing advice about at lime green kettle  (Read 5607 times)

guyatou

• Happy Cooker
Looking for info/pricing advice about at lime green kettle
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »
Hello all --

Several years ago, my grandpa gave me his lime green Weber. It may be from the 60s or 70s, I'm not sure.

I enjoyed it for about a decade, but it's time to find a new home. I was SHOCKED when several people contacted me through craigslist to tell me my $45 asking price was way too low.

I had no idea there was such a strong Weber community, nor did I know these were collectable. I was always drawn to the color of this particular one.

http://postimg.org/image/uxzrf6egp/

http://postimg.org/image/4qykj7w6x/

The question is, now that I'm finished enjoying the grill, how can I determine a reasonable asking price for the kettle? It is missing the wheels, and has some rust, dents and missing paint, etc. But it is otherwise solid, and has the original triangle base piece.

Any thoughts? If I had a place to store it, I'd just keep it. Unfortunately, I have way too many collections going on as it is! I asked Grandpa if he would like to have it back, but he said at 91, he has little interest in slaving over hot coals anymore. He'd rather watch someone else do the work!

I haven't posted in the "for sale" section, as the rules say I have to post a price, so I thought I'd try this section first to see if anybody had a ballpark idea of what "reasonable" might be. I really don't want to post it on eBay and hassle with shipping, I'll try to find someone near Oklahoma City to give it a new home. :)

Cheers,

Michael

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Looking for info/pricing advice about at lime green kettle
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Ready...

Set...

GO
Dude, relax your chicken.

guyatou

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
^^ HAHA!

I'm a member of a large format photography forum, so I totally understand. Much is debatable about ancient lenses and cameras, too. I hope everyone can keep it civil, and positive! I know this thing isn't junk, but I know it's not destined for a museum, either. LOL

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »
Welcome, Michael. That's a fine grill you have there. We don't have enough free market data to give you an exact value for it.  The lime metal bowl handled grill is sought after. We've seen kettles of that vintage/rarity sell for up to a few hundred dollars. Could be more or less depending on the condition, how the buyers feel, or what they are looking for at that point in time. If you want to maximize $, eBay is the only route imo.

There are members here that would give you a reasonable amount and maybe even pick it up. The kettle will also be enjoyed and shared with others should it be sold to a member. Keep us posted on whatever you decide to do, and good luck.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:38:09 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »
Oh and thanks for reading the rules and engaging in a positive discussion on your kettle.  8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:11:41 PM »
Hi Michael. As PBE explained, determining the value of these old beasts is difficult (if not impossible).
The value is ultimately determined by the highest price someone will pay. We require that sellers post a price in order to reduce the animosity between potential buyers.

The weber collecting community is big, but it's still in its infancy.
There are some buyers that may be willing to spend 500+ on a grill like this, but many of us would only be willing to spend a fraction of that.
In reality, most of us are in this for the thrill of it. We're used paying craigslist junk prices and we refuse to spend anything beyond a craiglist junk price.
99% of the grills in our collections were found on craigslist for less than $50 each.
I got my lime, which was near mint, for $30.

If you want to get absolute top dollar, gently clean up the outside and inside. A hose and a gentle scrub with some paper towels is fine. Take a dozen good photos.
Post an ebay auction, start the bidding at $1 and ride it out.
We'll post the auction here, where all of the collectors are, and you will get the most someone is willing to pay.
We even have a guide to help you packing and shipping your kettle :)

You are missing the original wheels, and that's going to deduct value.
Luckily you still have the original ash pan. Your bowl and lid appear to be in pretty good shape.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »
Guya, it's a run of the mill older kettle that's probably worth $12 at most.  Being the nice guy that I am, I'll throw you $20 and you can keep the change    ;D ;D

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 05:37:19 PM »
Just saying...i would maybe thing twice about selling it...as if you like webers it may be something to be missed later on....

The story about grandpa gifting it is interesting...personally id make space and cook a few ribeyes on it and think about it...

If you ever want another..itll be hard to find
Grills

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 06:29:32 PM »
Sell it for your original asking price. Take your $45 and be happy it's going to someone who will appreciate it and take care of it.
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

guyatou

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »
Thanks for all the responses! I totally understand it's not easy to value something like this, especially with only two photos. And trust me, if I had a place for it and thought I'd actually use it, I would keep it in a heartbeat. It's definitely a cool kettle!

I'll think about it over the next few days, and maybe throw it up on eBay or something.

demosthenes9: You're terrible! LOL

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 06:31:14 AM »
Not sure of your age, possible you could be 30-60 if he is 91.
If you are young, you might regret it down the road.
Older, pass it down to your kids, or someone in the family that would appreciate it.
I would of loved it if i had a grill from my grandpa. I recall being like 10 and putting the BBQ sauce on the chicken. That was my job.I thought charcoal was a waste of time, until i bought a cheapy on CL to give it a try, i love and am hooked.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 08:19:57 AM »
The most recent lime estate sale grill sold for $50... and it came with a side table. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/st-lou-estate-sale-limey/msg151877/#msg151877
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
Guyatou,

Just a thought.  I've spent the past 12 yrs finding a selling antiques & collectibles.  It is an absolute truth that at least half of the items that I found and sold for a meager profit I REALLY wish I'd kept.  Respect your Grandfathers kettle, it's your inheritance.

Larry T (aka Smoke'n Joe)
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:53:25 AM »
Post it here for a reasonable amount if you really decide to sell it and maybe you can work a deal that when/if that person decides to sell, you get dibs. That way you know where it is and know for sure it is going to a loving home.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »
put it on the bay with no reserve and see where it goes.

whatever it ends up selling for is exactly what it was worth. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.