Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old red lid comparison  (Read 6938 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Old red lid comparison
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
I tried to have a lime 22 scanned at Home Depot to get a little touch up paint.   Their computer didn't even come close to matching it.   This isn't always a reliable way to determine its true hue (at least with a lime kettle)
Kettle collector AND cooker!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 02:11:42 PM »
The guy at Sherwin Williams told me he could get a very close match. i didn't buy any though.  He told me it was a slight variation to the Hunting Pink color in the UK.  David Brown Tractor(in the UK) has been using this color for years.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
Monitor means nothing (LOL).  In the end it makes no difference to me.  I was curious and had the lid scanned at a paint store so they could try and read the color.  You should do the same!  Darker does not mean more red.   :)

color theory is incredibly complicated. despite dabbling in art for 25 years, and having a couple years of graphic design education, I can't even begin to pretend to be an expert on it.

I can, however, tell you that if YOUR monitor is not calibrated to show accurate colors, it won't matter how color blind you are (or are not).
To be truly accurate, your camera would be under scrutiny as well as how the photo was processed.
Add a splash of human perception and a plethora of ambiguous color names and descriptors and we've got ourselves a really pointless argument :P

Regarding the paint machine - those things are designed to produce a matching paint using a preconfigured array of brand specific dyes, pigments, and finishes.
Very handy if you're painting your house to match a grill. Not really worthy of providing value when trying to compare colors (unless it really gave an rgb, hex, cmyk, or other standardized color value)
So did you paint your house to match your wood dale?

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »
Negative on the house paint.  Sounds like I should come to you for paint advice though.  I'll let you know if I am interested. LOL

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
Negative on the house paint.  Sounds like I should come to you for paint advice though.  I'll let you know if I am interested. LOL

nooooo :P
my wife is a full time artist. i don't dare have opinions on paint colors

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 03:51:46 PM »
"rgb, hex, cmyk"

Those things are approximations of what actually goes into a color....rgb is an especially detestable way to go about arriving at a color  Red, Green, Blue only can go so far in constructing subtleties, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black....quite a bit better, Hex, still a maybe....
Part of the problem here also is we're dealing with solid color, so then there's density thing.....the above systems are meant to work out shadings, lighter color areas, shadowing.....usually not just a block of color..... 

A Pantone Matching color would get very close & account for "Darker does not mean more red" and possibly even "Metamerism"    darker could mean more blue, but then what form of blue? maybe more black, in combination with a different base red..... 

Computer monitors are notorious for being "off" in a number of ways &  playing one person's setup against another's only compounds the problem....I could give you a very accurate NUMBER, as I see in a very flat, uninhibited way after years of use of the color matching system, but that would still involve monitors which basically fucks the whole deal.......

Hey Marty....how many Red Master Touch / One Touch Pluses do you have anyway?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
Old red lid comparison
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »
Ok from my "perception"

1963 Wood Dale 22 looks orange red hue to my 36 year old eyes glasses or not

Fast forward to 1966-68 Arlington Heights ones. They have a deeper red to me. Almost like the cherries in Del Monte fruit cocktail..

1974-75 18.5 (turned into a stubby) and my 1979 red 22 have a more "fire engine" red to me. Or as I call it "Target Store" red (I used to work there)

1979 with the 1963

By 1992 the reds look a little "duller" in comparison to the reds of yore... This picture doesn't do it justice but it has ZERO misting on the lid

1995 two tone

This is just my perspective I could be wrong..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:09:23 PM by Craig »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
"rgb, hex, cmyk"

Those things are approximations of what actually goes into a color....rgb is an especially detestable way to go about arriving at a color  Red, Green, Blue only can go so far in constructing subtleties, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black....quite a bit better, Hex, still a maybe....
Part of the problem here also is we're dealing with solid color, so then there's density thing.....the above systems are meant to work out shadings, lighter color areas, shadowing.....usually not just a block of color..... 

A Pantone Matching color would get very close & account for "Darker does not mean more red" and possibly even "Metamerism"    darker could mean more blue, but then what form of blue? maybe more black, in combination with a different base red..... 

Computer monitors are notorious for being "off" in a number of ways &  playing one person's setup against another's only compounds the problem....I could give you a very accurate NUMBER, as I see in a very flat, uninhibited way after years of use of the color matching system, but that would still involve monitors which basically fucks the whole deal.......

Spoken like a true print guru! =D
As a web designer in the early ages of web adoption, the rgb/cmyk/pantone thing was BRUTAL.
I was working as the webmaster for a decent sized newspaper. Most advertisers had no designers or web presence so the newspaper would basically design all of their ads. Being print, and mac, and stubborn (the big 3) - they'd always design in pantone or cmyk. Clients would approve and I'd convert everything to rgb and code it all out for the web.
Then clients and designers would all shit their pants because the colors didn't match up exactly.

two things those salesmen could NEVER understand.
- print colors don't translate perfectly to web
- how to count the colors in an ad to charge the correct price and make sure the ads were printable

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 12:20:20 AM »

None actually. But I think you all knew that. That shot was from an early meetup where several grillfellas boots exploded onto the parking lot of the Weber Grill in Schaumburg. It was like an urgent game of giant checkers. Let's just say lids were exchanged.

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 03:35:27 AM »
Mine doesn't have an orange hue to it.  Maybe its a newer Wood Dale?  It does have a bowl handle that is completely offset though...

@harris92  That offset bowl handle looks terrible.  It really shouldn't be seen in your collection. Just go ahead and send it up to me and I'll make sure it stays out of public view.  ;) ;) ;)
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 05:10:40 AM »
This Wood Dale seems lighter than the newer redheads, although it sat outside in the weather for 30+ years so it is quite faded. @zavod44 could shed some more light on this.

Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 07:05:53 AM »
@Dan NY  LOL.  It makes no difference to me what shade of red they are.  I like em.

Mine doesn't have an orange hue to it.  Maybe its a newer Wood Dale?  It does have a bowl handle that is completely offset though...

@harris92  That offset bowl handle looks terrible.  It really shouldn't be seen in your collection. Just go ahead and send it up to me and I'll make sure it stays out of public view.  ;) ;) ;)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 07:14:50 AM »
Don't make me talk about Metamerism again...

Way too many variables to come even close to an answer on this. Light source, Light angle. Surface texture. Gloss level. Flat vs curved sample. Beer consumption. Not to mention the human eye.

I don't agree.  I am talking narrowly about Wood Dale reds vs. those that came immediately after, nothing more.    They are different hues, in the general sense.   

Shrug.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 07:57:55 PM »
BUMP.

1969-72 reds are much darker than previous (thumbscrew) or later. Here is a 1970 PAT PEND next to a 1981 C code. Picture doesn't do it justice but the '70 is much darker.

Sent from an Aqua Blue Western Electric Model 500.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 03:05:07 PM »
I know my '78 red is BRIGHT!..looks like a big ol' cherry.
But I have seen older ones that look a bit darker. Maybe it's like the fades and they're all diffrent and unique.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk