Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old red lid comparison  (Read 6940 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Old red lid comparison
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »
I decided to try and capture the two hues of old red lids.

The difference is hard/impossible to see in photographs, but obvious in person.  Perhaps I have too much sun.

The Wood Dale red is duller and more orange.  The Arlington Heights is brighter, more glossy and deeper.

I have heard some people say the Wood Dale red is "bright".  I don't get that vibe when I look at them.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Old red lid comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »
Its funny with the reds.  I have about 8 red in varying years and models.  I bet 6 of them are different hues of red.  That's why its so hard to match a paint to them when you want to touch them up.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »
Mine doesn't have an orange hue to it.  Maybe its a newer Wood Dale?  It does have a bowl handle that is completely offset though...

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
it depends on how long each has been in the sun. 

i'm sure the paint color and type changed over the years as well. 

I only use kettles with lid bales.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 11:38:19 AM »
Mine doesn't have an orange hue to it.  Maybe its a newer Wood Dale?  It does have a bowl handle that is completely offset though...

it might be the picture, but I can clearly see an orange hue in yours.
way more than G$s pics.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:41:14 AM »
Agree Troy!  Stephen's pictures show exactly what I see with my eye - the orange hue. 

Of course there are variances, but I think it is fairly clear the Wood Dales in a general sense are more orange than the later thumb screw reds.  The later thumb screws match the colors fairly close of my PAT PENDINGS.  No perceptable difference between those.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 11:45:26 AM »
I don't think this is the case, but it almost appears as if they sprayed the kettle sunburst orange and then went back over with the standard red. It's sort of a muted glow - the kettle still looks "red" overall.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:53:33 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
I must be color blind (LOL).  I need to line it up with one from the late 1960's early 1970s.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 11:50:49 AM »
it goes beyond wood dales

my red 26 has an orange hue in the right light, but its pretty close to being a wood dale i guess.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »
I must be color blind (LOL).  I need to line it up with one from the late 1960's early 1970s.

Try it.  Line them up chronologically.  I think you will see a point at which they go from a little Orangeish to red.

Bear in mind, nobody would mistake these for"orange", it's just the tone is more orange than the later reds.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
Here's a shot under fluorescent light. Clear difference in the shade but you can see a bit more orange in the Wood Dale... and to the naked eye sunlight only increases the effect imo

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:09:39 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
The lid on the right looks more red than the one on the left to me.The lid on the left has a slightly purple hue.  About a year ago I was curious about a NOS 1974 red I purchased.  When we had our house painted, I took the lid to Sherwin Williams so they could scan the lid with their "paint scanner".  They told me a mix of red and to a  much lesser extent purple.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »
The lid on the right looks more red than the one on the left to me.The lid on the left has a slightly purple hue.  About a year ago I was curious about a NOS 1974 red I purchased.  When we had our house painted, I took the lid to Sherwin Williams so they could scan the lid with their "paint scanner".  They told me a mix of red and to a  much lesser extent purple.

i think you need to calibrate your monitor!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
Monitor means nothing (LOL).  In the end it makes no difference to me.  I was curious and had the lid scanned at a paint store so they could try and read the color.  You should do the same!  Darker does not mean more red.   :)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »
Don't make me talk about Metamerism again...

Way too many variables to come even close to an answer on this. Light source, Light angle. Surface texture. Gloss level. Flat vs curved sample. Beer consumption. Not to mention the human eye.