Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokenator...is it really worth buying?  (Read 14409 times)

TeddyC

• Smokey Joe
Smokenator...is it really worth buying?
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »
Hello all, I'm about to add the Mastertouch 22 to my arsenal.  My main baby is my 18" WSM.  Flo has had many of good smokes in her belly over the last couple of years. 

Here's my issue.  The Mastertouch comes with the charcoal Fuel holder. If I want to do a light smoke, I can throw some wood chips on top, and have the fuel holders set up in indirect. Bingo, I'm smoking... 

So, what's the point of the smokenator?  Does the smokenator do anything different from what I just described?

Thanks, while I'm no newbie to smoking, I'm just learning the kettle game.
Hi, my name is Ted & I'm a smoke-aholic.
My Weapons:  Weber Smokey Mountain (Flo);
Weber Master touch 2015 (Lou Lou);

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smokenator...is it really worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
I kinda see it as indirect+. Charcoal basket with a heat deflector.

I'm sure it holds more coals than a basket tho
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:29:50 PM »
Sure, you can toss in some chips or small chunks anytime.....here's medium hickory chips added to personal sized turkey meatloafs...

adds in a nice extra layer of flavor.....

small to medium chunks work fine too.......I pre-heat them so they don't just smoulder thick smoke....

You can easily do long smokes on a kettle also....like so:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg20382/#msg20382

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/re-print-ok-what's-in-kettle-3/msg35831/#msg35831

The Smokenator is a good enclosure for indirect, to contain the coals in about 1/4 of he under grate area.....you can load it up pretty good & go for quite a long time..........they work pretty good.......

Some folks do about the same using firebrick as a blocking also......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »
not worth buying in my opinion

i made one used it a few times

it nothing special imo

save your coin for a roti for your chooks
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:34:43 AM »
I use firebricks as the smokenator caused one of my Kettles to warp. All those coals piled up against the side for too many cooks just wrecked the Kettle. About 25-30 cooks did it for me. I find using firebricks gives me a better cook anyways so I really do not miss that contraption. If you wanted me to mail you mine I would but the postage would be a waste of money.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 04:07:17 AM »
I've tried using it a couple of times and honestly I don't find it worth the money.  If I'm going to do any smoking in my Kettle, the snake method just works 10x better for me.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 04:20:05 AM »
I enjoying using mine, very fool proof. However, I didn't purchase mine at full retail.  I purchased a used OTS (like 3 cooks on it) for $75 and it came with a ton of accessories: grill grates, chimney, various wood chips, smokenator, hinged grate, thermo added to lid, several firewires, etc.

Now I also haven't tried the snake method in my kettle; therefore I may be the one missing out. My assumption is, based on previous comments, the snake works well and negates the need for a smokenator.

The one thing I dislike about the smokenator is the sorry water pan, it's too small. I've heard there are solutions for that though.

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 09:10:38 AM »
I never regretted buying mine and still use it a few times during the year. Meathead loves it coupled with a PID and has good tips on using it. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/smokenator_tips.html

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »
If you bank your coals off the sides of your kettle all the time like a Smokenator would do wouldn't that over time kinda spider the outside finish on your kettle from all the heat being directly on the kettle wall?  I like to use the Weber charcoal holders as this keeps my charcoal off the sides of the kettle.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »
I never regretted buying mine and still use it a few times during the year. Meathead loves it coupled with a PID and has good tips on using it. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/smokenator_tips.html

meathead loves it because he makes money every time someone buys one from his page ;)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
oops
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:05:39 PM by Red Kettle Rich »
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »
I use mine a lot and haven't any issues with the side of my Performer, it very rarely gets hotter than 275 and will normally
run 225 ~ 245 so I don't know if that kind of heat will damage the bowl, I mean I usually grill in the 350 ~ 425 temp
range in the same cooker and no issues with the finish yet.

jdefran,

I don't use the stock water pan, instead I use a disposable 1 pound aluminum loaf pan and put it over one
of the smaller round holes and the temp will lock in at 225 ~ 245 for about 5 hours at a time and the water is good
for that amount of time too. just use hot tap water and you are good to go..

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »
I use mine a lot and haven't any issues with the side of my Performer, it very rarely gets hotter than 275 and will normally
run 225 ~ 245 so I don't know if that kind of heat will damage the bowl, I mean I usually grill in the 350 ~ 425 temp
range in the same cooker and no issues with the finish yet.

jdefran,

I don't use the stock water pan, instead I use a disposable 1 pound aluminum loaf pan and put it over one
of the smaller round holes and the temp will lock in at 225 ~ 245 for about 5 hours at a time and the water is good
for that amount of time too. just use hot tap water and you are good to go..

There he is .....I seen Lance run this rig at a meetup & in the hands of somebody who knows, it sings !!!

3 racks of killer ribs all done smooth on the same kettle.....I've seen people use them before, but not that well !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 08:33:33 PM »
Hi ya Mr Buckie, hope y'all had a kick butt holiday season and thanks for the kind words.
I'm still trying to figure out if having 18 WSM is worth it or not as I still get better results
with the Somkenator.  But to be fair I haven't cooked nearly as much on the WSM as
the Performer so the struggle goes on..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..