Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokenator...is it really worth buying?  (Read 14408 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Smokenator...is it really worth buying?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
Been looking at these, even before I joined this site. Think I'll play with the snake method first. Not off the wish list, yet.
Still need a 22” yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »
Hi ya Mr Buckie, hope y'all had a kick butt holiday season and thanks for the kind words.
I'm still trying to figure out if having 18 WSM is worth it or not as I still get better results
with the Somkenator.  But to be fair I haven't cooked nearly as much on the WSM as
the Performer so the struggle goes on..

I would recommend skipping the 18.5" wsm in favor of a CB extension. Once you master smoking on a kettle (I've had your ribs and you would fall into this category) the 18.5" WSM is frustrating to cook ribs on since they don't fit laid out.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »
Been looking at these, even before I joined this site. Think I'll play with the snake method first. Not off the wish list, yet.

I don't think the smokenator is neccessary to churn out good smoked 'q from the kettle BUT if you think you'd enjoy using one then go for it!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 11:58:31 PM »
@TheDude  I've had a SNtr for at least three thanksgivings.  I've used it to L&S smoke the family turkey.  The device acts like a heat shield (as do bricks, etc.) but leaves more room in the "oven" so to speak.  The water bath really only helps stabilize the Low side temps, not that much moisturizing seems to take place.  I too use a larger water pan.  For long cooks, you will need to add coals, but what's new.  Made three GREAT turkey dinners over the past three Thanksgivings.
I like it for ribs as well, but usually just cook ribs w/o a water pan using the "fuse" method.  Hummmmm, I do seem to get a deeper smoke-ring when I smokenate  ???
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 02:52:43 AM »
@CharliefromLI , I like that simple DIY idea & may try it myself...

+ if you use this "Non-stick" pan be sure to scrape it off & BURN the coating away before you put your food near it.

Non-stick burns toxic @ high heat
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 03:00:57 AM »
Id soend a few extra and pull the 14.5" wsm..she doesnt take up a lot of space either...and she is really portable...can carry her with one hand...
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 06:42:30 AM »
... The Mastertouch comes with the charcoal Fuel holder. If I want to do a light smoke, I can throw some wood chips on top, and have the fuel holders set up in indirect. Bingo, I'm smoking... 

So, what's the point of the smokenator?  Does the smokenator do anything different from what I just described? ...

Because you're experienced with the WSM you know that low heat and where the heat is plays a huge roll in "smoking" something. What the Smokenator does is emulate some aspects of your vertical smoker, with water pan and a place to put some smoke wood. Most of us probably agree that the kettle's basic design already allows for a setup at least as good if not better. Problem is, you can't market it ... and so, Internet.

And since smoking is often associated with low-and-slow, what often works best in the kettle is charcoal arranged around the edges in a "snake" or "fuse" formation. This does a few things: only a few coals are lit at a time, which keeps heat under control, and the heat moves around with the snake so that you don't have to rotate the grill grate during the long cook, and the center stays bare; the WSM 18's water pan and charcoal ring can be used there if you want or just a drip pan.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 04:09:34 PM »
Try smoking without water...i went no water this past year and it works great...meat does not dry out.

Also recently tried smoking without the water pan at all and that came out great too....

Imo its all about temp control...water / water pan are not really required
Grills

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »
Hi ya Mr Buckie, hope y'all had a kick butt holiday season and thanks for the kind words.
I'm still trying to figure out if having 18 WSM is worth it or not as I still get better results
with the Somkenator.  But to be fair I haven't cooked nearly as much on the WSM as
the Performer so the struggle goes on..

I would recommend skipping the 18.5" wsm in favor of a CB extension. Once you master smoking on a kettle (I've had your ribs and you would fall into this category) the 18.5" WSM is frustrating to cook ribs on since they don't fit laid out.
Thank you for the kind words Gummie, I still haven't got a handle on the 18.5 WSM but have been getting busy doing ribs on my 22.5's using both the Smokenator and snake methods at the
same time and it's kind of a toss up to me, both methods work very well and the finished product from both were pretty well received.. 
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
What don't you like about your ribs from the WSM? Are you using enough wood in it? I remember your ribs had a lot of smoke flavor from the wood. To get the same effect you'd probably need to increase the amount of wood in the wsm firebowl since it's so large.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 11:28:32 PM »
Mostly a temp issue for me G, just can't seem to get it down to where I want it (225~245) it acts like it is settling into the range I want and then it spikes to well over 300 and then it's
all over the place.. Every piece fits as it should, I replaced the door with a CB door and and still.. It looked like the previous owner had an ATC unit of some kind on it.
I have noticed that it doesn't seem to burn the charcoal evenly or consistently when using the Minion method, might be why there was a blower hooked up to it.. 
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 11:46:30 PM »
My big WSM runs hot, around 275-300 unless I bring the top vent to 1/4 open and bottom vents even less than that . Have you tried temp control by getting more aggressive with the top vent? Once in a while I'll do a minion with the hot coals at the bottom of the pile. The ash starts from the bottom and burns more consistently. Pack that charcoal tight!

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 12:05:32 AM »
I have had all vents closed down to about an 1/8th of an inch and still no joy, with and without water in the bowl, fresh bag of KKB.
I haven't tried the hot coals on the bottom yet and I'll try packing the coals tighter. Am going to cook the pork butt on the C&B
so I know I will get the temps I want.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 02:52:51 AM »
@mirkwood ...it may be your startup.  Only drop about 10 hot briquettes lit in the middle.  Top vent fully open. Only use one vent ever slightly open.  Warmup for an hr.  She should run steady around 200-225..if too low..then adjust slightly on another bottom vent.  Slight adjustments in 70 degree weather willbheat her up..once a wsm fires up hot..its hard to pull it back...easier to raise temp than lower
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 08:26:34 AM »
@mirkwood it sounds as if you might have air leaks from the previous owner's ATC modification? Got a picture of that? Some high heat HVAC tape might seal small holes? Also take stock of the dampers, they might not be as flush with the bowl as they could be?

I last did ribs on my 18 WSM and had all intakes closed completely the last couple hours, maintaining about 225-250 (I forget) with top vent open. You might also try putting the WSM in the shade if possible.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch