Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokenator...is it really worth buying?  (Read 14410 times)

agensop

• Happy Cooker
Re: Smokenator...is it really worth buying?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »
Ive been debating getting a smokenator, but i found a methoud that works good for me.  It involves using the charcoal rails and the fuel baskets. I used the one fuel basket as a radiator and i bank my coals with the charcoal rail. I actually figured this method out with my jumbo joe first. I was having a nightmare controlling the heat dispersion in it which led me to buy the performer, i have very little issues doing indirect with my performer and the fuel baskets.  I tried putting my coals in the basket in the JJ and uh, while i could keep the temp high but not consistent. I for some reason decided to reverse it (i think because only a little bit of coals left) i banked the coals and used the basket as a radiator under my meat. everything cooked evenly and damn good.  Ive been using this method my last few smokes of all small stuff.  Works for me. but scared to try it with some ribs.... but i will....soon.  Ive smoked spatchcocked chickens, 8 giant pork chops . huge packs of wings. all using this method. the basket as a radiator has actually been great.  im debating tying it with both baskets. One to hold the fuel the other to radiate heat.   Im a newbie though :)  you guys probably know and tried all this stuff.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:15:25 PM by agensop »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »
@agensop   haven't tried it quite like that.....sounds like a novel way to go about it !!!

If i understand it correctly, is there coals right beneath the cooking items?

It doesn't get too hot that way?

from the report of how it's coming out, seems not !!!!

If you're able to stick up pictures, that always helps, if not, a good description like you did works too !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

agensop

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »
no the coals are to the side the empty basket is partially under the meat the half moon shape actually helps it radiate pretty well

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
no the coals are to the side the empty basket is partially under the meat the half moon shape actually helps it radiate pretty well

Thats a great idea. Some members have used the baskets as "negative" charcoal space holders. For example, some have put the two baskets in the middle with a charcoal ring or snake on the perimeter.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

agensop

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2015, 12:44:06 PM »
I dont know how to upload images or id show a pic of how i set it up

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2015, 05:38:32 PM »
Here's one rundown.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/kettle-club-discussions/how-to-post-pictures-here-at-the-wkc/

And there's direct way to do this now also......

http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/

I've not used this method yet & not quite sure of how to transfer the pics into a post, but it may very wel;l be more streamlined than Photobucket, etc.

If you need help, just ask !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 08:07:22 AM »
I had one.  It works ok, but as others have stated the water pan is a PITA.   A couple of fire bricks will do just as good.  Personally I use the snake method now.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
I just bank them under the angle of the Vortex so it's angle deflects the heat away and around.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 01:37:49 AM »
@mirkwood ...it may be your startup.  Only drop about 10 hot briquettes lit in the middle.  Top vent fully open. Only use one vent ever slightly open.  Warmup for an hr.  She should run steady around 200-225..if too low..then adjust slightly on another bottom vent.  Slight adjustments in 70 degree weather willbheat her up..once a wsm fires up hot..its hard to pull it back...easier to raise temp than lower

Toolhead,  I think the last time I cooked on it I may have used 12~15 lit, all vents were open full
until the temp was around 190 on my Maverick ET-733 then I closed them all down to about an
1/8 of an inch. It then took another 30 minutes to get to 225 and I was thinking great it’s going
to settle in and play nice, which it did for about 20 minutes and then it did it’s spike thing and
was essentially, outta control till the temp tanked at the 4 hour mark. I closed all the vents
down when it spiked and it still behaved like a Doberman on LSD till the fire flat lined..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:57 AM »
@mirkwood it sounds as if you might have air leaks from the previous owner's ATC modification? Got a picture of that? Some high heat HVAC tape might seal small holes? Also take stock of the dampers, they might not be as flush with the bowl as they could be?

I last did ribs on my 18 WSM and had all intakes closed completely the last couple hours, maintaining about 225-250 (I forget) with top vent open. You might also try putting the WSM in the shade if possible.

ATS, I’ll look it over really closely this week but if memory serves me, two of the bottom vents
were taped over even though they seem tight and the vent that the ATC was on had a small
amount of tape on it too like it might have been a BBQ Guru unit that uses a single hole of the
vent to do it’s magic. There are two holes to the right of the door that used to be screws and
nuts that hold the rack hanger, but are hallow fasteners like for probes to go through, but are
smaller in diameter than the 733 probes..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »
@mirkwood  Saw your WSM posts to ATS.  I just finished my first cook on the WSM.  I tried to setup & use an Auber, but the probe went nutzo on me so I had to resort to damper adjustments.  I started with a full level load of KBB (wanted to see how long it would cook),  pulled 20 out of the middle & placed them around the edges of the basket, lit (hot) 20 new and dumped them into the crater.  My cook log shows that my WSM leaks like a sieve, but I still managed to hold a 240 degree temp.  Top vent at 50%, bottom vent ranging from 0% to 50% as I chased the goal temp.  Other bottom vents closed the entire cook (incl ramp up).  If, for any reason, you'd like to see my log PM me and I'll eMAIL it your way.   SJ

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 09:40:55 AM »
@mirkwood ...it may be your startup.  Only drop about 10 hot briquettes lit in the middle.  Top vent fully open. Only use one vent ever slightly open.  Warmup for an hr.  She should run steady around 200-225..if too low..then adjust slightly on another bottom vent.  Slight adjustments in 70 degree weather willbheat her up..once a wsm fires up hot..its hard to pull it back...easier to raise temp than lower

Toolhead,  I think the last time I cooked on it I may have used 12~15 lit, all vents were open full
until the temp was around 190 on my Maverick ET-733 then I closed them all down to about an
1/8 of an inch. It then took another 30 minutes to get to 225 and I was thinking great it’s going
to settle in and play nice, which it did for about 20 minutes and then it did it’s spike thing and
was essentially, outta control till the temp tanked at the 4 hour mark. I closed all the vents
down when it spiked and it still behaved like a Doberman on LSD till the fire flat lined..

I think the issue is having all vents open...that method was having the wsm on a path to high temos.
Vent control has delays on actual temp control..so having all vents open till 180 -200 will have the wsm on path tobhugh temps even with shutting down all vents at desired temp...
I start slow and very modest with opening vents....i think most others stsrt their wsm the same way.
Grills

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »

1/8 of an inch.

I think the issue is having all vents open...that method was having the wsm on a path to high temos.
Vent control has delays on actual temp control..so having all vents open till 180 -200 will have the wsm on path tobhugh temps even with shutting down all vents at desired temp...
I start slow and very modest with opening vents....i think most others stsrt their wsm the same way.

As I was typing that I was thinking I might have been waiting too long to throttle it down to start with.. Now I just need to coalesce all the pointers n tips everyone's shared with me
and apply them to my next cook on the WSM, I'll just reboot and approach it as if it were my first cook on it.. Thanks to everyone for all the info..

Terry123

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 09:33:54 AM »
I've used the smokenator for 2 years...I think it's great for low and slow BBQ. I follow the simple instructions, add my own water pan and can easily keep my 22.5" at a desired 265f forever as long as I add 8-10 briquettes and warm water every 1-1/4 hours.
(FYI, I use 265f for ribs, based on Arron Franklin's advice to use 275f for low and slow ribs and brisket)