Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2014 Secret Santa Follow Up...(aka...what have you done with your gift(s))?  (Read 2792 times)

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Figured what the heck, we've all seen what we got, why not share what we've done with 'em.

I'll start. Thanks to MartyG, I got an awesome rub assortment package.

repost of package

second from the right in the above picture is a steak/burger rub(according to the label) from Astro Pigs called "Meat-eor Shower".  My mom has the munchkin for the week, so I figured I'd do a steak cook for me and the wifey for new years. normally(and by normally, I mean most of the time) when I do steaks, it's ribeyes. however, my local grocery store had a sale on NY Strips, so I picked up two. my plan was to grill them, but mother nature nixed that idea. so I decided to try alton brown's cast iron steak method(with some modifications based on my equipment). 

here's a pic of them resting

Looks great, but....I screwed it up. They were a bit overcooked as there was only hairline of pink visible in the thickest part.(don't have a cut pic)

That being said, they were out of sight good! Despite the lack of pink, they were not dry or tough. The rub flavor was noticeable w/o being too much. My wife ate all of hers w/o asking for sauce(which she usually does even at steak joints) and wanted more.

so, bottom line.....Meat-eor Shower rub from Astro Pigs is great stuff(even if you miss the mark a smidge). MartyG.....wow, thanks man, it's great stuff!
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Great to hear that! I was told that Astro Pigs is run by an active Southwest Airlines pilot who hobbies in BBQ competitions on the ground. He has a couple other rubs I need to try, but the BBQ Equipment Store was out when I stopped in before Christmas. I often find NY Strips are cut way too thin. I almost bought an uncut roast the other day, and could have had four 1 1/2" - 2" strips from that. Maybe someday...

DING! You are now free to grill about the country!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:45:55 AM by MartyG »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
The knife that @pbe gummi bear got me I have used a few times, it is an awesome knife.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Mines still in transit. I can't wait to get it in the next few days!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
I love the Astro Pigs stuff. I grab it whenever I see them in comps.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
I got to use all three secret Santa gifts from @SixZeroFour today!

Gift 1 - the inspiration:

Gift 2 - Matt's WKC dry rub blend in the glass container along with some other tasty add ins.  P.S. - crushed Ritz are WAY better than breadcrumbs!:

Gift 3 - one of six very special handles.  I broke it out for this cook.  When I am not using it, I keep it locked up in my gun safe  :) :

The payoff.  It was a mighty fine lunch.  One burger for me, one for the sous chefs, and one for tomorrow!:

Thanks again Matt!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"When I am not using it, I keep it locked up in my gun safe  :) :"

as well you should....we know where you live......the place with the Jumbo Joe at the head of the driveway.... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SixZeroFour

I'm really glad to hear you liked everything @Winz! And as for that delicious looking Burger do you just slap the Black Forest Ham and (Tomato Basil?) Havarti right on top? ... I really wish I had one of those sitting in front of me right this second.

In the wee hours tomorrow morning I head out for a trip up into the mountains and one of my (frozen) meals I take is two loaded potato skins which I just reheat in tinfoil over a mini hiking stove. While baking I coated the taters in EVOO and used some of your smoked sea salt along with fresh pepper. I can't get enough of the smell of that stuff - at least I can pretend I'm eating some nice smokey BBQ! 8)

As for a quick update for my Santa gift - I have not had the chance to use the killer fish basket from Mr @LightningBoldtz - but am using the WeberStyle tool holder! and I don't think there's any point of showing the crumbs dust leftover from the almonds he sent.  ;D I already had to ask for his guidance in making more so I can get my fix ;) These will also be joining me on the trip!

Take care guys and I look forward to catching up on all the forum shenanigans when I get back late Wed night.

Six
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E