Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I was hunting for an avocado...  (Read 4000 times)

GregS

• WKC Performer
I was hunting for an avocado...
« on: November 01, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »
so i hit up a few estate sales.  like...  5 of them... 

one of the listings just said "smoker".  no brand, no size, no picture...

it was neglected more than used.  i cleaned it up with some steel wool and dish soap, there wasn't much to clean except dust.  the handle rotted and i took the remains off so i can install a new one.  the door needs some love but i'm not really that worried, i may do some customizing. 

the grates are a bit rusted but i may have ones that would clean up, or i could just tin foil things until then. 

they were asking $50 but we agreed on $40.  scored some CI as well, bear shaped muffins but they were never used so we seasoned them and went corn bread all up in the R2 kettle. 

no avocado but i'm very excited to have scored a 18.5" WSM for cheap.  :D 

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:26:48 AM by GregS »
I only use kettles with lid bales.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: I was hunting for an avocado...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »
40 bucks for a WSM is splendid all day long.  Nice find there.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »
Great score!, I haven't really gotten anything weber in a couple of weeks and I believe I am suffering withdraws.  Went on a wild goose chase this afternoon and one earlier this week came up empty handed on both glad to see you had a good day even if you didn't find an avocado.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »
Not just any 18.5" WSM. It's a "C". According to Weber it's the first year they made the WSM. (But we know better)

That is a collectors piece.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »
@Harbormaster so we've seen "B" code vents on WSMs? 

because we ran into the same circumstances where some units had a prior year's vent code assuming they used up the old vent stock before switching to the new stock.  the 2015 performer i traded to brian has an AH coded vent which would make it a 2014, but it had the new table, lid bale etc and we believe it was used in a photo shoot.  i believe there have been other instances that came up when we were talking about vent codes. 

so it may be that the units were produced the year weber states they were, but received left over vents that didn't get used up the prior year. 

i have no idea, i'm not saying anything definite, just purely speculating.

604's, i mean #001's new first in north america MT has a AH vent code, which would make it a 2014 model, but it's a 2015 offering? 

it's also been speculated that the vent codes run with the calendar year and not model year so who knows for sure.

way to derail your own thread greg.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:05:27 PM by GregS »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
Nice score!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 08:44:29 PM »
"@Harbormaster so we've seen "B" code vents on WSMs?  "

Once...........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:02:09 PM »
That's a heck of a find @GregS ! Sweet C code !!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 01:10:04 AM »
@Harbormaster so we've seen "B" code vents on WSMs? 
Just once. It's out in my shed.
There is also some evidence that when Weber used left over parts in a new model year the parts were double stamped. I have a "C" WSM that also has a "D" stamped on the same vents.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 10:34:59 AM »
Great score. It has the beefier vents. The C code I had was pretty beatup. But still a great smoker.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
Nice score.
A Wonderful Family!!!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I can't wait to cook with it.  I've been reading the different methods of using it, taking what others have done as advice etc. 

Like i said, i probably wouldn't pony up the new price for one, but scoring this one was a no-brainer.

Which is good for a guy like me with so few brain cells left, the 80's were a LOT of fun.  ;)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Hit that door and the legs with a wire wheel on a drill and the rust will come off.

Congrats again on a great score.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »
thanks!  i was thinking about using evaporust next spring after a winter of smoking on it. 

turns out my buddy's has an old vents too.  i told him to see if it's a B code.