Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This is not happening... $%#@  (Read 6025 times)

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
Re: This is not happening... $%#@
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
Oh wow !  That really sucks!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 11:09:53 AM »
Damn. Sorry to hear!!
A Wonderful Family!!!

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 01:26:45 PM »
That's fucked up! :O

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
That's a crying shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »
What did UPS say?
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 05:34:52 PM »
They called this morning but I was unable to answer at the time. I then called them back 15 min later and left a msg but still no response. Will try again tomorrow.  :-\
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
I would say that when they ask the value, you could say what you would want if it got destroyed.  I think your going to get what you declared the value as.  I always use the Fed Ex 24x24x24 box.  It is incredibly strong and allows a ton of padding around the grill.  I always use Fed Ex to ship.  Not saying they couldn't ruin something but so far so good.  What kind of box did you use?  Someone shipped me a yellow in one of those horrible home depot boxes and the grill was chipped to shit on the edge.  First order of business I cut up shitty home depot box and threw it in the recycling.  I know those Fed Ex boxes cost a little more but I think it's money well spent.  I have shipped at least 20 grills and never had one issue....I know it doesn't help this issue but it's good for thought.  I guess the next step is find this man a new master touch....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:39:10 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »
HD is one of the recommended places on this site to buy a suitable box. If you have evidence or experience to the contrary, please let Troy or whomever know so that the Guide may be edited.

That said, I bought a new 24x24x18 box from U-Haul (another recommended place in the Guide) the closest in size to Weber's 24x24x14 size for 22.5" kettles. I would describe it as an average-strength box.

We can speculate that a box with say, 8 reinforced edges (if available) or exact-fit styrofoam forms (ditto) would have made the difference but it won't change what UPS did here.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
Seeing that picture almost made me throw up! That's horrible. As crazy of an idea as this may sound, you ought to tell UPS that you are going to be shipping the damaged grill to Rick's Restorations in Las Vegas to be repaired and that you will be sending them the bill. As a rule, whenever I ship anything "Weber related" that is highly prized, valuable, irreplaceable, etc. I always declare the value at $1000 minimum no matter what it is.

Personally, I think this whole "insurance" thing is a big rip-off that was invented by these shipping companies as a way of making more money. What other business can you think of where you have to pay additional money just to "insure" someone does their job right? When you order a pizza from Dominos, do you have to pay "insurance" in case they drop your pizza? When someone puts a new roof on your house, do you have to pay extra to "insure" it doesn't leak when they are finished? If you go to Midas to have a new muffler put on your car, do you have to pay extra to "insure" it won't fall off when you drive away? Why should shipping be any different? It was in their possession the whole time. The damage occurred while in their care. They should make it right no matter what it cost.

Sorry to see that this has happened.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:13:05 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 03:51:31 AM »
I use the uhaul boxes and fedex to ship my grills. I've never used the Home Depot boxes, like Brian said they seem too thin.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 04:08:58 AM »
That SUCKS!!

+1 for FedEx boxes.  Ive shipped a few kettles using them and had no issues.  They are pricey but wrth it.  However, even a good box wont compensate for bad handling during delivery.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 09:03:18 AM »
Well, this will most definitely be my last shipment via UPS.

How messed up is this?
I call back again this morning because they never returned my call and finally get a hold of the damage inspector. He asks me to forward photos to him so that they can have a look... no problem, photos sent 5 min later. I then get an email saying:

"Once the inspection is completed, all the claim information will be sent to the claims department. They will deal directly with the shipper on record, the shipper is the person or company the package was shipped out from. If you have any questions regarding this claim please contact the shipper directly."

I call and question him on it and am told that essentially I cannot be a part of the settlement process as it's between UPS and the original shipper (THE #$!#$ UPS STORE) and I guess ATS? - So more than likely addicted-to-smoke is going to be getting a call instead of me?!? and we have to work out the rest on our own? How ridiculous is it that they hide behind their own stores?

ATS: If either UPS or the UPS Store calls you regarding the claim can you please have them call me direct? I will pm my cell# again...

Now I have to wait up to a week before this gets sorted and I seem to have little to no say in the situation at least at this point. What a mess.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:05:01 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
Just seeing this for the first time now SixZeroFour.  Felt more than a little sick seeing that photo as well....I saw the thread describing your purchase of this so knew about it.  I woulda' cried too.  The big companies care not about your loss and the exercise in frustration you are in for is just that so I advise to resolve yourself.  Know this though....there are a whack of us here that care and send along best thoughts for you there bud.  Sorry man.  I fancy myself a Buddhist and somewhere along the line I read the old guy wrote that, "The meaning of life is loss and suffering".  I have not learned to smile about all my losses and some still hurt bad.  Be nice if this one stays off your list of ones that hurt a long time for you.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:39:05 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
Sorry for your loss. I have dealt with items damaged with UPS. Unless things have changed in the last year, UPS will only give you current replacement value even if it was insured for $1000. They do this to prevent people from shipping already damaged items to get paid a high claim. You are most likely getting $150 for a new OTG. They will not reimburse shipping costs either but will most likely get to keep the grill and the $150 claim check once the UPS store gets it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »

"Once the inspection is completed, all the claim information will be sent to the claims department. They will deal directly with the shipper on record, the shipper is the person or company the package was shipped out from. If you have any questions regarding this claim please contact the shipper directly."

MY response to this would be:

It's not the shipper's problem, it's YOUR problem, UPS.......your employees damaged the package!

Credit where credit (or blame) is due................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"