Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This is not happening... $%#@  (Read 6023 times)

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
Re: This is not happening... $%#@
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I can not believe that happened! They are not going to understand what you did just to get the kettle. I'm so sorry to see the damage.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

Yuminator

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »
Oh hell no!!!  WTF.  Sorry this happened to you.  I'm feeling the pain. Dang it!

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 09:59:59 PM »
I'm so sorry. Total carelessness and negligence by the carrier.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Sorry buddy. That's a damn shame. Take a lot of pictures for your claim and don't give up until you are compensated. I hope that mt lives to grill another day.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mcflash

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:38 PM »
I read the story of how you got the MT and this really mad me happy and smiling.

But this story now nearly makes me crying ... If it would be mine I probably would have cried .

As already said before it's not replaceable but maybe UPS will offer you something that eases the pain a bit.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 05:29:19 AM »
Wow...
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
No. No. No.
One of the charcoal people.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 06:22:55 AM »
OMFG

I feel sick.

Godammit!

It's a simple thing. Put box on truck. Drive truck. Remove box.

Where the hell does slam something into it come into play? I know I spent at least an hour packing it and shoving every conceivable cardboard and bubble wrap possible into it. There was no way it jostled around loose in there. They attacked it.

I don't know what to say, 604. I'm so sorry!

I'm here with my sister (who was the Agent on Duty who picked it up from the seller) and my dad ... I won't even show them the picture. They're also pissed.

You have absolutely nothing to apologize about! Thank you again - It's very clear that you put a lot of time into packing each piece individually so UPS just beat the hell out of it on the way here. Such a shame... I'm still worried about how they are going to place a value on something like this? Obviously I want all my money back for shipping which was just shy of $200 once the brokerage was included. I feel at VERY LEAST they need to refund the $140 I paid (Which I feel was a bargain) and I should get to keep what's left. What do you guys think a showroom new Red MT would fetch on eBay?

The kettle is by no means a write-off, just not the crown jewel of my collection it was supposed to be. I can obviously replace the damaged leg and the chip in the lid is fairly small. The lid handle was also slightly tweaked so the clean "wet" look to the red paint all around the handle welds has now cracked around the perimeter. I'll get a bunch more photos later once they come and have a look. It hasn't moved an inch from where they set it down, nor will it until they come inspect.

I don't have the heart to tell the previous owner (81!) what has happened. I had promised pic's once it arrived - is it wrong to get creative with the photos I send so it still looks minty?

I did take pictures before I even cut into the tape and throughout the unboxing as you could tell the box was deformed. I will be showing the "inspector" the handful of red porcelain that came along in the bottom.  :'(

Still in shock.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 07:11:39 AM »
Thanks. I'm still gonna feel like shit regardless, but this certainly isn't about my feelings.

When I was at UPS they asked for its value and I said $150 because it needed to at least cover your purchase price, so that might already be a non-negotiable because it's gotta be in the shipping manifest somewhere.

I think I read that up to $200 (USD) worth of insurance is already included automatically. But as for eBay or any other CL purchase, I think all any carrier (or insurance provider) would do is reimburse purchase cost, not someone's appraisal. So I wouldn't spend a lot of time speculating on its value, if for no other reason there wouldn't be enough of a supply to make one?

Very strange about the lid handle. I inverted the lid into the kettle, so did they deform the lid and cause the handle to reach the kettle interior bottom???

Did any wood handles survive? I know I removed one of them, probably that side handle for fear of physical exposure on that side. I probably should have left it on if it could have been sacrificed instead of the metal. Fuck, I don't know.

Overall is sounds as if the box got supremely squished since there's both top and bottom damage. If they'd shipped it on its side, perhaps the kettle bowl would have instead been squashed into an oval.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 07:16:25 AM »

Don't know if it could have been somehow different with some other carrier?

FedEx, might still have happened......some kind of common carrier......never know what other kinds of freight would be travelling w/ it & heavy stuff sometimes crashes around even with those types of shipping......

I've seen Bretheren do tag team ships across the country, as members passed thru an area, one to the next to the next to home......we might take some kind of look at that, but I don't know that there's quite enough of us to be able to do that yet?

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 07:26:47 AM »
This never happens with the other shippers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 07:39:25 AM »
This is horrible.  How do you replace something or put a value on something that is no longer made?   Ask that question to UPS!
I've seen too many instances, and had several happen to me, to where I will no longer use UPS.  Its just not worth it anymore.  I truly feel horrible about this.  I hate seeing it.   I do like Buckie's idea from the Brethern with cross country country tag teams with members, but I understand that would still be a logistical nightmare. 
Kettle collector AND cooker!

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 07:40:56 AM »
OUCH!! that sucks! I know it can't be replaced, but hopefully everything works out as well as it can. That's painful to look at.

Camp

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »
I'm at a loss for words.

My deepest sympathies.

I hope someone at least has the courtesy of saying Sorry.
SS Green Performer, Blue OTP, Red MBH, Green OTS, 79 Black MBH, Blue 18.5 Platinum, Black OTG, and a brand new Spirit E gasser.

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »
 >:( >:( >:(   There is no excuse for this! I cant even imagine what you are going through, I am so sorry.  :'(
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR