Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The cause of the lean?  (Read 5310 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
The cause of the lean?
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:17:44 AM »
here is a pic of my performer I have heard that these can lean.

What would cause this lean (ever so slight) and what can I do to make sure it doesn't get worse?

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: The cause of the lean?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:42:25 AM »
I've never heard of that or noticed it before. It looks like your frame is out of square.
Try loosening all the frame bolts and see if you can get it back in alignment.
I doubt its gonna get any worse.
Its a grill, nothing to wear out over time..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:45:35 AM »
Could be that your bolts are loose.  I would check the lower cross member bolts and maybe remove the tubes to look at the threaded inserts.  They may be starting to rust and work their way out of the tubes.  The SS I picked up a few weeks ago had this issue and I could pull the inserts out with almost no effort at all.  They can be replaced with star nuts from a bicycle shop.
-Keith

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »
Star nuts would be my go to first. If you move the grill does it rock back and forth?
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 06:11:19 AM »
Has anyone tried ordering these star nuts?  http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-tube-connector-nuts/=ruirlz

If so, what size did you try?  My measurements show the ID is 1 1/8".

I'm guessing its this size. AJ  8)

Tube
OD              For Thread    Size   Fits Tube ID   Pkg.Qty.         Part #       Pkg Price
1 1/4"        1/4"-20   1.12"-1.15"              10               94290A571       6.80
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:08:53 AM by Heyjude »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 07:08:22 AM »
I don't know what a star nut is or it's purpose so I am somewhat lost
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »
For connecting intersecting tubes to form a Tee joint.
You must be very careful to not use too much torque or you will collapse the "go-by" tube and create an eyesore that will be very difficult to fix.

The preventative would be to insert a piece of round tube into the "go-by" tube which would provide "backing" to resist the torque. The bolt would pass through this piece of round tube.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:21:59 AM by DirectDrive »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »
You must be very careful to not use too much torque or you will collapse the "go-by" tube and create an eyesore that will be very difficult to fix.

The preventative would be to insert a piece of round tube into the "go-by" tube which would provide "backing" to resist the torque. The bolt would pass through this piece of round tube.

huh?  I understand the concept of the star nut, but what I don't understand is the "round tube" into the "go-by" tube.. Please explain further..

What we think is happening is that your frame is loose, causing it to rock or lean. Gently try to tighten the bolts.. Don't force or over torque them. In fact, if they can come out, spray some lube on the threads. If they just turn and turn, the star nuts have failed. Basically, its an insert that allows the 2 pieces of square tube to bolt together and create the frame.
Does that make sense?
AJ  8)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:50:10 AM »

What we think is happening is that your frame is loose, causing it to rock or lean. Gently try to tighten the bolts.. Don't force or over torque them. In fact, if they can come out, spray some lube on the threads. If they just turn and turn, the star nuts have failed. Basically, its an insert that allows the 2 pieces of square tube to bolt together and create the frame.
Does that make sense?
AJ  8)

Yes

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »
huh?  I understand the concept of the star nut, but what I don't understand is the "round tube" into the "go-by" tube.. Please explain further..

"Go-by"...

When two elements, walls, tubes, etc. intersect, the joint is typically either a miter or a butt joint.
Here we have a butt joint in the drawing and on the cart.
One tube is butting and one tube is "going by".

The round tube...

In the drawing you can see how the connecting bolt could collapse the tube with too much applied torque especially with this thin-wall tubing on the cart.
The solution is to provide a stiffener (backing) to prevent this.
You would typically take a piece of round tube with an ID to allow the bolt to pass through.
You would also make the length lightly snug so it can be easily slid into position.

If you do this you will get a stronger joint,  prevent collapse and be able to apply more torque.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »

"Go-by"...

When two elements, walls, tubes, etc. intersect, the joint is typically either a miter or a butt joint.
Here we have a butt joint in the drawing and on the cart.
One tube is butting and one tube is "going by".

The round tube...

In the drawing you can see how the connecting bolt could collapse the tube with too much applied torque especially with this thin-wall tubing on the cart.
The solution is to provide a stiffener (backing) to prevent this.
You would typically take a piece of round tube with an ID to allow the bolt to pass through.
You would also make the length lightly snug so it can be easily slid into position.

If you do this you will get a stronger joint,  prevent collapse and be able to apply more torque.

Now that makes perfect sense.. So some 1 1/8 long pieces of 1/2 conduit or similar type material..
I think in this case before I take my whole grill apart, is to just check a few of the joints and see if they are loose.  8)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:30:23 AM by Heyjude »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »

This makes sense to me. If you are rough on the performer cart the go-by tubes may also collapse from the bolts trying to pull in when the frame bends.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 09:37:24 AM »
With proper backing, the weak link is going to be the bite that you can get with the star nut.
Set the star nut a little deep so you get clean, positive tube contact at the joint.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
The cause of the lean?
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
There's no star nuts up top , my guess is it mis assembled make sure your ear tabs are down inside the post , I've seen plenty of these mis assembled and they lean ;)

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »
You could also have a broken tab , that's easily fixed with a quick tact weld or even a JB weld type product

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs