Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help with restoring new find.  (Read 935 times)

Tombo

• Happy Cooker
Need help with restoring new find.
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
Found this thrown out for trash, had to save it.
Need help from the experts here. How do I repair the top where the paint has rusted away? 
Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need help with restoring new find.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:50:15 PM »
Nice save on that blue logo 18 OTG.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 02:32:00 AM »
It is porcelain, not paint.  Most likely, the porcelain chipped & then steel uncovered at the chip started to rust.  Many people just rub some cooking oil or mineral oil on it to prevent further rusting.  Doing it every once in a while before a cook will basically help "season" the oil so you get a bit longer protection.

Others have tried using some high heat paints in the appropriate color.  If memory serves, many indicate that the paint often turns black if the kettle becomes too hot.

Hopefully someone else comes along soon with more direct knowledge.
regards,
Hal

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »

Only thing I would add to PotsieWeber's comment is to remove the rust first before rubbing with cooking oil.  I use #0000 steel wool. Once the rust is removed,  I apply olive oil with a Q-tip as it makes for a cleaner application and allows you to push the oil beneath the lid handle.  After you cook on it, the metal will turn almost black. Then the metal is seasoned, just like a cast iron pan.  I have used this method over two years ago and still no rust has returned to the areas.  The kettles are stored outside but have covers on them. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 08:46:55 AM »
Thanks for the q-TIP.
I have a couple I have to work on this summer.

Only thing I would add to PotsieWeber's comment is to remove the rust first before rubbing with cooking oil.  I use #0000 steel wool. Once the rust is removed,  I apply olive oil with a Q-tip as it makes for a cleaner application and allows you to push the oil beneath the lid handle.  After you cook on it, the metal will turn almost black. Then the metal is seasoned, just like a cast iron pan.  I have used this method over two years ago and still no rust has returned to the areas.  The kettles are stored outside but have covers on them.
regards,
Hal

Tombo

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
Thank you very much for the great advise!  I will work on it this weekend. I will post pics of its progress.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club