Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Smokey Performer and Summit Grilling Center cook....  (Read 876 times)

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Weber Smokey Performer and Summit Grilling Center cook....
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
Hey gang. I fired up both my Weber Smokey Performer and the WSCGC today to smoke four racks of St. Louis cut spares. At first I was going to season all four racks exactly the same but made three the same and then the one spicy.

I loaded five scoops of Royal Oak standard briquettes in each and ran the gas assist on both for about seven and a half minutes. They came up to close to the same temps in about the same amount of time. It was also to maintain them at about the same temps. The WSP took more vent fiddling and the WSGC was more set and forget. I have an iGrill with two ambient probes that i was watching. No temp controllers on either cooker.

Inside the PSM, I used the GBS grate in its standard position. I pulled out the center grate and replaced it with the big cast GBS wok that i also have. I wrapped that in foil and it worked well. I used a Weber stainless 22 grate for the meat and I rested it on the lower bolts, which is a little higher than the normal lower position.

Here is a look at the ribs after the third spritzer at about 4.5 hours.

This is what they look like after the candy sauce. The one on the right came to temp earlier than the others so I pulled it first. It was also the lightest of the bunch.

And the candied up spicy rack...

And the other two non-spicy ribs are done (they weighted exactly the same).

And lastly, the spicy rack that was on the WSP. It was also the heaviest rack.

The recipe that I used for the non spicy ribs was the same thing that I posted here the other day:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/diy-texas-rib-candy-and-killer-hogs-the-bbq-rub/

The spicy recipe was teh same as above with some ground up piri piri peppers that I added to the rub. And then to the rib candy, I added a couple of teaspoons of cayenne pepper powder.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Smokey Performer and Summit Grilling Center cook....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:48:42 AM »
I don't know which looks nicer, the food or your setup!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:26:16 AM »
sweeeet setup!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:01:58 AM »
Interesting comparo.

Don't know much about the Summit, but doesn't it have a diffuser for this? Why the drip pans?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:14 AM »
@Firemunkee & @swamprb: Thanks for the comments.

@addicted-to-smoke: Both of these units have diffusers.  :)  The Summit came with one and on the Performer I am using the GBS grate with GBS wok covered in foil. I'll post some more pics of that later.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
Here is how I used the GBS grate and wok as a heat shield and drip tray. You can make sort of a little grease trap boat using the length between the handles.

I also made a couple of small notches in the WSm barrel to clear the nuts protruding into the kettle from the lid hoop.

Here is the left over charcoal. I started with five scoops each. Did not count the individual briquettes but used the scoop that came with the summit and filled it about the same amount each time.

I actually shut down the Summit first, right after I pulled the remaining two ribs off. The Summit ran for about 6:30 (hrs:min) when I shot the vents. Because of how well it is sealed, the coals snuffed out quickly.

The Weber Smokey Performer ran for longer at about 7:20 before I shut the vents. It took longer to finish up the last rack of ribs. It was the heaviest rack of the four plus I opened the pit a time or two that i did not need to in order to show off my work so that added to the cook time. The Performer (and a full WSM 22 for that matter - I had one) do take longer to shut down because there is more air leaking in and just a higher volume of oxygen to burn up before snuffing out.