Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: George's birthday weekend  (Read 861 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
George's birthday weekend
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
I'm not gonna do a catalog picture, but in my family you get a birthday weekend. For George's weekend I'm starting with your basic meatloaf.

Add bakers and beets all wrapped up.

The meatloaf is 80/20 hamburger, ground pork, ground lamb. Also a whole sweet onion, red bell, celery - all diced, all sauted with smashed garlic. That got
all mixed up with a couple of eggs and crushed garlic croutons. And cumin and red chili flake. And tamari soy sauce. And fish sauce. The glaze is ketchup, dijon, Worcestershire, and Valentina hot sauce. (Which is basically steak sauce. You could use A1.) Hand-formed, plopped onto the grill and cooked to 155F with a couple chunks of applewood.

I cooked on my 2015 26 - it's such a beautiful cooker. With the Slow N Sear XL it it just plain convenient to cook on. Use the billy bar to knock ash off the used charcoal and clear the bottom of the SnS, add new briqs if necessary, then light a chimney. When the coals are ready, use them to top off the SnS and you have a nice steady heat. How hot? That depends on how much charcoal you light up. I spreaded lit coals from a very full Weber mini chimney across the SnS and ran at 325.

The meatloaf and baked potato were served with a green salad. All good.

Yeah, the beets. Not served for this meal. Those I just cooked for later days. I had the room on the 26, so I used it. And yes, there is a portion of dog in the picture. That is Max, my "Paw Model" from earlier today. He is always underfoot.

Happy birthday weekend George!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: George's birthday weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:50:32 AM »
I like the recipe for the meatloaf.  Esp the addition of the ground lamb.  That is a cool twist I need to try.  Looks good!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
George's birthday weekend
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:20:51 AM »
Sounds good. How much does the sns xl hold?  How many weber chimney / chimneys worth of coal.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 07:21:14 AM »
Nice!
George would be proud!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »
@HoosierKettle the SnS xl holds 120 briquettes vs 80 for the regular sized one. I don't know exactly how many chimneys that is.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
Nice honoring the man.  I am sure the meatloaf turned out great.