Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spicy Vinegar Cole Slaw  (Read 2412 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Spicy Vinegar Cole Slaw
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
Simple Spicy cole slaw.

This recipe is heavily inspired by one used by "Deguerre", a frequent contributer at the BBQ Brethren.

This is how I make it.

The sauce:

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
6 Tbs sugar
6 Tbs oil (I use EVOO)
2 Tbs Sriracha Sauce
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp dried celery
1 tsp celery seed
1 Jalapeno, very finely diced
Salt to taste, usually a pinch.

Combine all ingredients listed above and mix well.  Chop the jalapeno very fine, about the size of the celeray flakes, and use more or less to your heat preference.   This mixture can be made ahead, or just before you chop the slaw ingredients.  Typically, i will ADD more Sriracha sauce at the end because I love the flavor. 

The slaw:
1 head green cabbage
8-10 small sweet peppers

I simply use one head of cabbage sliced as finely as I can.  To this I add 10 or so small sweet peppers sliced in to thin rings.  The resulting rings should roughly mimic the cabbage slaw size.  Although not part of my recipe, I have added finely sliced green onion as well with great results.

Add the sauce to the top of the slaw in a large bowl.  Let sit covered and refrigerated for at least six hours, mixing frequently.  The slaw stays fresh for a couple days.  

Because there is no mayonaisse, and the sauce is thin, ensure a thorough mixing prior to and during serving.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Spicy Vinegar Cole Slaw
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I've never had cole slaw that had Sriracha in it.  I'm going to try it - it looks delicious.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »
Thanks MD.  It is nothing like a creamy slaw, but I love it with pulled pork, spicy chicken wings, or any kind of grilled pork or chicken that needs a spicy side.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
I think that may be a the next slaw I whip up...is there a lot of heat with the sriracha and jalapeņos?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
I think that may be a the next slaw I whip up...is there a lot of heat with the sriracha and jalapeņos?

It is pretty spicy Terry. My recommendation to cut the heat is to omit the Jalapeno. And start with less sriracha.

We like spicy here, so i have a hard time gauging for others.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:33:02 AM by G$ »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 02:44:20 AM »
I don't mind spicy as long as it's not overwhelming...the wife and kids, not so much.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
Self bump because I had to revert to this recipe when I made this yesterday.  But here is a new picture.

It shines as a bratwurst topping....

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 05:07:27 AM »
Thanks for the bump, just printed off this recipe.