Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: making a smoker Help  (Read 4066 times)

mufffinman

• Smokey Joe
making a smoker Help
« on: November 26, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »
Just bought a Green Kettle on CL and want to use it as a smoker, having problems finding links to conversions.  I prefer not buying a Smokenator, looks to expensive for what it is, saw pictures using firebricks is there a dedicate thread for smoking?

MM

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: making a smoker Help
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »
Hi muffinman,
I just replied to your introduction and pointed you to the article on the front page. There is another thread on this page: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/low-slow-smoking-on-a-kettle/ that demonstrates pretty good results.

There is no separate section on smoking so I would advise watching this section as well as pr0n to see what others are doing.

I normally smoke on my WSMs but when out of town and faced with a kettle, I've used the snake method with good results. That involves a triple row of briquettes around the fire grate and then light one end. Here's a double snake I used when I wanted a little higher temperature (about 325°F)

Edit: That should be watch "Grilling & BBQing" and "Food Pr0n." There is no conversion necessary - just technique and perhaps some equipment like firebrick or charcoal baskets.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:37:05 PM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
making a smoker Help
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »
Don't buy a smokenator , find a WSM on CL or spend a couple 100.00 on a Cajun bandit conversion.  http://cajunbandit.com/

Sent from my Atari 5200 using Tapatalk
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »
Snake works very well. Steady temps for up to 12 hours without adding fuel.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:44 PM »

It depends on if you want to smoke a whole bunch of stuff at once, or just BBQ (w/ smoke) a roast or two of some type..........if you want to do, say a big load of jerky or large amounts of stuff, then the Bandit stacker thing with extra grate would be good, or a Smokey Mtn. with multiple levels................personally, I just lite more kettles........... 8)

Here's a few links to snake setups I've done & there are many others by other members here, search "snake" or "fuse" & you should get some good info  ~~~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg20382/#msg20382

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-pop's-memorial-shindig/msg7814/#msg7814

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/something-different/

Some of the photos are the same in different posts, but there should be enough of them to get an idea of how it works......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mufffinman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:27:22 AM »
Thanks Guys, I will cleaning and reading today, plus maybe a trip to HD to find some goodies.

M

mufffinman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:40:20 AM »
Seeing the snake has me thinking, saw a old castiron pot at Goodwill yesterday, has anyone place one at the bottom, snake around the pot and also use it as a water/drip pan?  I have cook with DO with the scouts and wonder if its heat retention would be of value

MM

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
I would be weary of any type of metal with lit coals on on side and unlit on the other. You may think I'm crazy, but I've seen metal get hot enough to ignite the unlit fuel on the other side. If I can find the pic I'll post it. But then again if you had water in the cast iron pot you'd probably be ok. 
A Wonderful Family!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
Seeing the snake has me thinking, saw a old castiron pot at Goodwill yesterday, has anyone place one at the bottom, snake around the pot and also use it as a water/drip pan?  I have cook with DO with the scouts and wonder if its heat retention would be of value

MM

Yeah, snatch it up.......

Also good for just cooking with.........

I have several that are low profile enough to fit under the cooking grates, or they'll sit on the grate, or like in the 1st pic, sitting on firebricks down on the charcoal grate.......
All depends on what you're cooking & if you want to drip into, say, beans, or in a different case, cooking down something like the Pepper Stout Beef recipe......CI works great for something like that......

Just use in place of the foil pans ~~~>

Not really sure, but I think you would get some extra heat retention with the cast down in as a drip pan, or loaded up with beans or to roast vegetables......the extra metal surface probably would help........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mufffinman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »
Its a 12 of unknown origin, no lid cost me $4, I was thinking making the snake go around the pot filled with water.  since I plan to smoke with indirect heat kinda a smokenator idea.  I know since I do cook with DO's that the pot will hold heat and I am thinking it might help with  the indirect cooking.  Any thoughts?
MM

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
The CI pan will add thermal mass, but I don't think it will add as much as the water. I usually use a snake with an empty drip pan.
No expensive accessories, just good low and slow barbeque.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mufffinman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 06:11:02 AM »
I know I'm only thinking out of the box and since I have never even done a smoke yall know lots more what will work or not.  I am a tinker, it came from my Homebrewing passion.  I have always built my own stuff after seeing pricey things I want but can not afford.
The castiron should retain heat through the long process and help maintain steady temps.  Plus I could cook in it as it was discussed.
I will post pictures on how all this worked or not after I finish trying to get these grills clean GRRR!! I hate cleaning grills

MM