Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ESTATE SALE FIND!  (Read 552 times)

idahome

• Smokey Joe
ESTATE SALE FIND!
« on: July 20, 2019, 11:10:46 AM »
First of all, I want to give a shoutout to mwmac for the heads up on this estate sale.

Met up with mwmac two weeks ago and purchased a 1991 Gray N code from him. It was missing the ash pan, but he was kind enough to toss in an older style twist on one for me. He found it back in 2016 at a thrift shop ONE MILE away from me. Such a cool find. A few of you probably saw his post about it. It was great having my first meetup with someone from the forum.

Funny thing was, while I was sitting in the parking lot waiting to meet up with him, I saw a 22 Cado on FB Marketplace for $20 and it had just been listed minutes before. I almost wanted to get it just for the wheels, but it was a 45 min drive and a very hot day. I showed him just in case he was interested, but didn’t pursue it myself.

Fast forward to this past Thursday night, mwmac texts me and says there’s an estate sale Friday morning and there’s a 22 Cado. And it was in what I would say is in better shape than the one on FB Marketplace. Although the one on FB Marketplace had metal white walls with the tread still intact if I remember correctly.

I had never been to an estate sale before where they hire people to run it, but I went ahead and set my alarm early and was the first person there. Waited an hour and a half for it to open and ran to the back yard and picked up the lid so I could claim it as mine. Luckily right as I picked up the lid one of the ladies working the estate sale told me she’ll put a sold sticker on it for me and gave me an invoice so I could shop around more.

It cost me... wait for it...

TEN. BUCKS.

I couldn't believe it. Condition is pretty decent. No major chips on the top of the lid. A few on the lip. Vent tabs are all wonked, but the vents are all there and spin just fine. Leg sockets are sturdy. There’s only one area on the bowl that has some blemishes, but is very minimal. Came with some already used briquettes and wood chips inside. BONUS haha.

Ash pan is in fantastic shape as well. Wheels are original, but on one of them the white ring is completely faded, but you can make out the white ring on the other. Definitely needs a thorough cleaning on the inside. But overall I’m incredibly stoked and it may be in even better shape than the Cado I found back in July of 2015. And this one doesn’t have red paint speckles on it like that one did [emoji38]

Lastly, I also scored a brand new chimney for $6 at a thrift shop and a well used GA gasser for $3.99 - which I bought for the wood handles. So yes, the GA was cheaper than the chimney, but the lady wouldn’t budge on price. She said, “that’s the price for this and that’s the price for that. The price of one doesn’t have anything to do with the price of the other.” I tried 乁( ⁰͡ Ĺ̯ ⁰͡ ) ㄏ

Also, there was a charcoal chimney at that estate sale, but they wanted $8 for it. Since the grill was only $10 I just laughed and said, “nah.”

Thanks for reading! It was a pretty neat day full of Weber finds. As mwmac has told me and I have noticed myself, Idaho is a hard place to find vintage colored kettles. So when you do it’s a treat. Thanks again mwmac!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:31:13 PM by idahome »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: ESTATE SALE FIND!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 11:14:02 AM »
NICE grill & a great deal too!  The grey is pretty.  I love those.
regards,
Hal

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
Wow, those are some beautiful grills! Love the bargains!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 12:43:06 PM »
Great finds! That cado is in really good shape

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

GeroniMOE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
Very nice, and at a steal of a price too.
It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 03:54:41 PM »
I love estate sales.  Problem is more than grills come home with me...

Excellent scores!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club