Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Day after ribs.  (Read 936 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Day after ribs.
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »
No meat for me during super bowl Sunday since the day was spent with a bunch of vegetarians. Got to have meat. Decided not to hang it this time around and used a modified snake with double diffuser.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Day after ribs.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 09:44:08 AM »
Looks awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
I'd eat those ribs!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »
Very nice. It would be difficult to be at a function and not have meat served.
I noticed you use the stacks or rings along With that diffuser plate for most of your cooks that you share with us. What do you think the benefit is of cooking that way compared to being closer to the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »

I noticed you use the stacks or rings along With that diffuser plate for most of your cooks that you share with us. What do you think the benefit is of cooking that way compared to being closer to the fire?

Elevated cooking is just a lifestyle choice. I’m doing it right now. Direct over coals of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »

Elevated cooking is just a lifestyle choice. I’m doing it right now. Direct over coals of course.

Lol. Well, i approve the lifestyle choice. I know you enjoy cooking that way on your wsm also, Sean. I wonder if it would help from the proteins burning or what other pros might be. I’ve got a roti ring. I’ll have to give it a go.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
For me it just buys me some time over using the normal configuration and grilling direct. The meat can hang out for 15 minutes before anything burns. At that point I have to turn and rotate.  It I prefer the flavor of chicken especially grilled directly.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 04:18:56 PM »

I only use the diffuser for smoking or when i want a very consistent temperature throughout the cooking grate whether it's for low or high temperature cooking. No moving or rotating the food required. Everything gets cooked very evenly and get done at the same time.   If multi zone is required, then the diffuser is not used.  In that case, then charcoal holder can be on the center, middle or either sides.   A stacker is used on more than 9 out of 10 of all my cooks.  My preferred method of cooking is direct  with an elevated cooking grate. The elevated grate prevent flames from ever reaching the food.  Steaks and Vortex style chicken are also done with a stacker.

Both cooking grates are on the stacker.  While using the same amount of charcoal in a vortex,  the temperature  at the cooking grate is as high if not higher than without the stacker.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »
For me it just buys me some time over using the normal configuration and grilling direct. The meat can hang out for 15 minutes before anything burns. At that point I have to turn and rotate.  It I prefer the flavor of chicken especially grilled directly.

High enough for you[emoji3]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Day after ribs.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 04:43:49 PM »

Oh yeah!  I definitely get it. The higher the grate the more even the temp and less chance of flame touching the food while having all the benefits of a direct cook. Add a diffuser and I imagine more even cooking temp.

I’m jonesing for a higher set up with better air control. I’m headed your way at least to some degree.

I love cooking on my 18 wsm but I do not like the small grate size and that it’s somewhat hard to achieve high temps.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:45:32 PM by HoosierKettle »

jmike314

• WKC Brave
Day after ribs.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »

OK. Please explain to a rookie.
What’s getting cooked in there?
And how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:11:45 PM by jmike314 »
“Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off.” - Oobedoob Benubi

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »

Please tell me that is full of wings [emoji23]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:21:39 AM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 06:14:48 PM »

[/quote]

No wings. That's my rice silo.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 05:12:11 AM »

No wings. That's my rice silo.
[/quote]
I was guessing an upright suckling pig cooker, my bad!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill