Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Inspiration for collecting Webers  (Read 1695 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Inspiration for collecting Webers
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »
I found this site, probably in march. I was looking for info on cooking on a kettle. I didn't even have a weber. My buddy has one, but he just loads it with coal and cooks on it. I was never too impressed. After seeing that there are a bunch of beautiful old kettles around I got an old beat up 2001 black. Had to have the leg sockets welded back on. Then the other day I bought 3 beat up kettles and a jumbo Joe off of Craigslist. Had my friend give me a ride to Kansas city to grab them. Got 2 of them cleaned up so far and gave the jumbo Joe to my neighbor.

If we are being honest, I only cleaned one ash pan and used it for both pics lol.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Inspiration for collecting Webers
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 11:07:41 AM »
Oh, let's see.  Bought my first house in 2006 and had a grill before I had fridge. A big, shiny, Charbroil. 4 burner gas grill,  side burner,  stainless,  yada yada yada.  Couldn't believe anybody would spend more money on a weber for less features and REALLY couldn't believe anybody would waste their time on charcoal.  Fast forward a couple of years and my girlfriend found something about the bacon explosion.  Army it to my buddy,  and he decided to do a modded ECB to try it. We had a blast and I thought there was something to this charcoal thing.  I bought a 22" kettle off Craig's to make a UDS, basically,  just buying for the lid. 

Luckily,  I found a $15 WSM before I could build the UDS and toss the rest of the kettle, because it is still my oldest kettle (a thumbscrew super faded black). I loved cooking on the WSM and I kept hearing on the WSM board about how good the performer was.  I found one on Craig's for $30, offered $20, and took it home bummed that it was grey and not 'normal' black.  Turns out I did love cooking on a performer and cooking with charcoal,  not just smoking with it.

By this time my charbroil had fallen apart and I was STOKED to find out there were some cheap gas webers online since the WSM had taught me about Weber quality and efficiency.  I bought one for $26 (I was out of work and broke as hell). I started flipping Weber gas grills and never thought twice about charcoal, even though I would see them for sale all the time. (Facepalm, since this was probably 09ish and the insanity hadn't been unleashed...I shudder to think what was out there then).  Eventually, having learned that red Genesis grills had been out of production since the 90s, I thought it was cool to swap my black lid for a red one. That led me to decide to pick up a red charcoal to match. I've always been a collector and a little obsessive about quirky things not everyone can get. Found an early 70s 18, introduced myself here not too long after it opened up,  caught the bug, and now am around 20 kettles, ALL colored except a 26" and a smokey joe that my dad gave me (after someone gave it to him).  I'm pretty maxed out on space,  but I've got a focus on red,  with SSP performer, outrider, new in box 22", mbh 18 &22, 3 or 4 22s, a couple 18s, a blue, a lime, copper 18 & SJ, and have gifted a couple.

I love the made in USA,  the origin story,  the simplicity,  the quality,  and the camaraderie here.  Even though the names change,  and some of the OGs don't post as much as they used too, newbies have (largely) the same attitude. People are just nice here. I like reading about somebody finding their first kettle as much or more than seeing Harris newest brand new 1957 find.  I've met a member from Australia for a beer and chatted with people from around the country. I want @charred to find his yellow,  damnit! I laugh whenever people ask why I need so many, and enjoy firing up 2, 3, 4, 5 of them for a party and bouncing between them.

I like to cook on any of the grills, and then think of the story behind it. Most of those stories involve me and my Dad.  And it makes me happy. Especially the couple times a year when I have him and his Amvets buddies over for a big cookout.

So I think that's why I collect Webers.