Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Inspiration for collecting Webers  (Read 1698 times)

Cellar2ful

Inspiration for collecting Webers
« on: April 04, 2019, 09:42:32 AM »

On February 8,2016; I joined the WKC.  On February 17, 2016; @SixZeroFour  posted a thread titled "Skittles".  This photo of his MBH collection is what ignited the passion for me.  What or who inspired you to begin collecting these magical spheres?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/skittles-weber-metal-bowl-handle-kettles-(mbh)/msg207503/#msg207503

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Inspiration for collecting Webers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
I love vintage kettles for their combination of form and function.  I love that I have  50 year old 'cado that not only works as well as a 2019 kettle but has an elegance and beauty that is so cool.  Chasing them is great fun and, and I have some great memories with my family of finding them.  I have met a lot of great people in the process, too.  I find it rewarding to bring something back to life again much the way car guys probably enjoy restoring cars.  These old kettles are a piece of Americana to me.  I think they have one at the Smithsonian!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 03:42:41 PM by michaelmilitello »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Inspiration for collecting Webers
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:34:51 AM »
I joined January 25 2016 while looking for accessories for my only grill an AD code 26er. Never anticipating becoming a collector. In April that same year I scored my Red Ranch and named her Big Red One. @jebivswife says that big red beast has taken me down a path I will never recover from, I still have the 26er aptly renamed The Iron Horse. 80 or so grills later I am having a blast
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
I agree with what @michaelmilitello said.  I don't have a 50 year old cado but i do have a 50 year old weathered warrior.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:27:46 PM by 1spacemanspiff »
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »

Let me tell you a story about a clown named dazzo...

Growing up was hard. I could handle OK the walking to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways. But what I missed out on was BBQ and grilling. Unlike some stories I’ve read, I don’t have memories of growing up with a fruity kettle. I had to start my own memories with a Weber.

It started with a black ’78. My wife and I were a young married couple with two young kids. I wanted to “BBQ”, so we bought a Weber kettle – brand new. I remember it being a lot of money for us (although I’m cheap so it’s probably all relative anyway). I must have some repressed memories somewhere of charcoal grilling because although I don’t remember, I knew enough to buy a Weber kettle – they were the best.

I had later gotten away from charcoal, but I got gas   :o   I admit it, I had a Charbroil Precision Flame 9000 that some good friends had bought for us, since I was always grilling. Loved that thing!

I wanted to grill with charcoal again. Along comes a green Double D Performer SS, which came with a quick disconnect 20# tank.

I didn’t know that I was suffering from Weberitis. Realization began when I happened to be on CL, and stumbled upon a Weber Gas Kettle. Too cool. Went to meet the guy – it was like five minutes from my house – with traffic.

I had already done some research using this new little Web site – I think it was called Weber Kettle Club. I found some guys in some foreign country were having some discussion on some kettle gassers.
Thankfully, there was no mention of banana hammocks at that time or I probably never would have joined.

Anyway, “Duke” grabs the propane torch – total overkill, but that’s what it’s all about – and fires the thing up. Sold!
The Weber Gas Kettle made a great (original) Weber Wok burner – great for pancit. And fried ravioli.

Went home, and a little while later joined the WKC. I was assigned number 218 at ground zero for Weberitis.

Then, the readheads – I had it full-blown – but down to only one now. Of all the kettles that have come and gone, the '78 green MBH was one of my favorites to look at. My other looker, and cooker, is the C&B Performer with the matching granite table.

Down to just one gas grill now - a Copper E-330.

Shameless promotion - I need a copper 18 to go with the E-330, 22 and SJ.

And attachments - original Weber Wok, Manturion griddle, cast iron, side tables, roti and skewer rings, Santa Maria attachment!, etc...

My wife gave me a bad time about how I don’t want to join Facebook, but that I’m always on the WKC site. I didn’t join FB because I don’t want to be found, and there’s too much drama – oh, wait, drama?

And I have a blue platinum waiting in the wings, to give to my son when they move into their house soon - and so it begins.

Thanks for listening.
Dude, relax your chicken.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 12:09:57 PM »
@dazzo you are a clown LOL neat story
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

mahnamahna

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 05:08:07 AM »
10 months ago we moved from California to Texas.  I had been cooking on Weber’s for 15+ years, but had no idea people collected them.  We had two moving PODS and couldn’t fit my performer and 22 wsm so I sold them before we hit the road.

On the drive to Tx I joined a few of the Facebook Weber groups.  Got to our new house, and bought a new master touch at Home Depot.

Then I started looking at the marketplace and seeing these amazing cheap kettles keep popping up!  Then I saw some people post in the groups about the colors in Canada.  Then I started looking at eBay.  I became hooked on collecting pretty quick.

Funny though, my wife was looking on Craigslist on day and a guy was giving away a green ssp for free!  She texted me, and told her to call the guy right away and I would head that direction.  I guess the treasure hunt and thrill of finding something really cool before anyone else got her addicted too lol.  Now she is the one that keeps spending money on crazy kettles from all over the world!

I cook on a Weber kettle almost every night, and we have put together a respectable collection so far.  Happy to be here!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 05:54:24 AM »
After years of laughing at people that spent hundreds on grills. I spent less than 50 every few years and burnered right through the cheap grills. Then I went to a buddies house and he gave me a deluxe tour of his gas assist performer. I drooled over it at the party and then on the way home my wife said I should buy one. I looked it up and it would be over $400 for everything he had that I wanted and I laughed again and said forget it.

2months later my wife got me the crimson performer! Then for fun I turned my old cheap smoker and grill into a R2 unit grill and sold it for too much on craiglist. When I was able to pick up a couple different kettles from the proceeds of the R2 unit my craiglist searches started. Then curb days was a few weeks later and I picked up a great Gen2 performer for free 2 blocks from home and have never looked back.

Attached is a picture of my meager beginnings.
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 07:26:28 AM »
On February 8,2016; I joined the WKC. 

...and ever since that day we've become a better community Jim!

I'm thrilled to see that my picture helped to inspire the Weberitis in you! Hope all is well and grill on!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 06:00:27 PM »
Around 20something 15, 16, whatever... I ended up joining this asylum. I had gotten a few Smokey Joes, and thought I want to collect those, then the Weber Kettle Club shit happened.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »
Good stuff here. I joined in '15, I believe it was @SixZeroFour 's hedge picture that initially blew my mind, and still does. Then @Plant_City_Mike shows me pics of his skittles, and I'm double hooked. He lives just 45 minutes away and he's finding them, so.... There's just something about the combination of the colors, MADE IN USA, Americana, etc that trips my trigger. And I'm into bbq contests for 16 years now so it all just fits.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 11:46:40 PM »
... Weber bbq's have been in my life since childhood, but had only experienced the black 22 in kettle, SJ and genesis. Roughly 2 years back I stumbled into forum looking for a 26er in northern California,  I meet Jim Cellar2ful at his home and pick up a great flat top with smoke Ez which has since moved on to Spacemanspif. Anyone who is familiar with Jim or has been to his place will definitely understand the exact moment the addiction began.

Also right there with you Rub on there truly is something about the Americana, made in the USA and beauty of colors past that I truly love. As a professional cook of over 20 years whom earned his chops on grill. I love live fire cooking. My kettles and grilling corner are a happy place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
I love Americana. Of my kettles, the oldest is a '98 18"... love it to death. I don't have the room to collect old kettles... but I have enough. I DO have a 1951 Plymouth business coupe however. Princess. She doesn't get the attention she used to, due to health and time issues. Probably gonna put her up for sale soon.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »
@dazzo
Banana hammocks too funny

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

dazzo

• WKC Performer