Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snake burning speeds  (Read 1450 times)

Talus

• Smokey Joe
Snake burning speeds
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:50:19 AM »
Hello, first post here.  Sorry to start with a question, but here goes: 
What makes a snake burn too fast?  Coals too close?  Too far?  It seems like my snakes burn too quickly.  Will putting the briquettes slightly on edge make them burn slower?  My snakes keep a pretty steady temp but only last 3-4 hours.  I'm using blue bag Kingsford and making the snake about halfway around the kettle.  Thanks!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Snake burning speeds
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 06:54:55 AM »
Half way around with kingsford probably gets you 4-5 hours. If you wrap around 3/4 or as far as you can, I usually get 6-7 hours if memory serves. Bottom vents half and top vent open. That's my experience anyway. You can always add to the snake and keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Snake burning speeds
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 04:38:04 PM »
If you keep the vents barely cracked once you get to temp (I have it marked on my 26") the snake will burn more slowly.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Re: Snake burning speeds
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:06:18 PM »
If you keep the vents barely cracked once you get to temp (I have it marked on my 26") the snake will burn more slowly.

I can't read your writing lol, what do your 3 marks stand for?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »

Actually it's the writing from the previous owner of the kettle (but he had it pretty well dialed in).

LS= Low and Slow...bottom OT is pretty much barely cracked... I use this one the most. 1/3 is about a third open. The last marking is roughly 2/3 open

Talus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:40:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I need more practice to dial it in.  Yesterday's brisket turned out really good despite some temperature fluctuations. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:04:41 AM »

Actually it's the writing from the previous owner of the kettle (but he had it pretty well dialed in).

LS= Low and Slow...bottom OT is pretty much barely cracked... I use this one the most. 1/3 is about a third open. The last marking is roughly 2/3 open

I'm surprised by the opening percentages all of my grills are older and I think they are 100% open at the 4th bubble?

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:21:43 AM »

I'm surprised by the opening percentages all of my grills are older and I think they are 100% open at the 4th bubble?

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Red,

I stand corrected. You're right...the last mark is actually 100% open. I actually never really look at the marks except the Low and Slow for doing ribs.

-Mike