Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I drove 770 miles round trip today for this:)  (Read 3476 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: I drove 770 miles round trip today for this:)
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2017, 08:04:08 PM »
Alright, so I did some more work on the Sequoia tonight...cleaned out the bowl, which was one of the easiest cleanups ever, and actually did a bit of hugging on it, as it was out of round.  Then I removed the wheels, so I could flip over the bottom shelf.  I flipped the bottom shelf and put it on the correct way, as seen below. 

I'm pretty sure that this kettle had always been put together incorrectly, as the wood on the bottom side of the bottom shelf looks fantastic.  I also unscrewed the door handles and straightened out the doors.  Then it was on to the cast iron...good Lord was this thing caked with grease and gunk.  I'm not done cleaning it yet, but at a stopping point for the night.  Here's a pic of the bottom...anyone here know anything about cast iron who can date this?  I'm pretty sure it is very old, but more detail would be great. 

Finally, what do you all think about refinishing Sequoias?  The wood is pretty dry, and even burnt on the top in a couple of places...pics will be forthcoming.  I want to keep it as close to original as possible, but I also want to keep it preserved for the future.  Your thoughts on this would be appreciated!  I'll get some more closeup pics later this week, but I was trying to fix the basics today. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 06:15:31 AM »
Congrats Jason. Glad to see it made its way to Vegas! That thing is in nice shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:28:29 AM by Neil_VT00 »
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »
Awesome! And I love the journey post @crowderjd

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
Just an interesting update...the cast iron griddle that came with the Sequoia has been cleaned up.  After furiously scrubbing away at baked grease for over a half hour, I finally decided to take the internet's advice and place it in the oven, and put it on the self cleaning cycle.  It stunk up the house for three hours, but when I opened the oven in the morning, almost all the gunk was gone.  I rinsed and dried it, then reseasoned with some vegetable oil. 

After doing some research online, I found out this griddle was made pre-1920 by Griswold due to the slanted logo in the center, and the fact it just says "Erie" below, and not "Erie, PA, USA."  It's amazing to think that something nearly a century old can look so good with just a little modern technology!  The finish is much smoother than my Lodge skillets.  Looking forward to putting this piece of American history to work soon!  More on the Sequoia this weekend...

Before:

After:

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 10:28:06 AM »
That's a nice little bonus.

When ever I have to clean things (or drop pressfit bearings out of an old motorcycle engine...) in the oven I use the Genesis.  It's not thermostatically controlled like some oven's self-cleaning setting and no odor in the house.  Everythign just vaporizes up around 716 degrees.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
I did a quick look and found different places where that griddle sold from $85 up to $200 in the last few years.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 04:12:04 AM »
That’s one helluva score! Congratulations!

HOLY GRAILS: 1960s Glen Blue 22 aka The Imperial, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »
Sweet, love that Griswold!
May The Smoke Be With You!