Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Replacing Plastic Performer Table?  (Read 5191 times)

Nolamike

• Smokey Joe
Replacing Plastic Performer Table?
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »
So... I was about to upgrade from my old 22" kettle to a brand new Performer Premium, when I spotted an ad for an older blue performer for $225:

The big question for me is, how easy is it to replace that plastic table for a metal one, and what's the cost?  I can't seem to find the part listed anywhere online, and don't even know if they're compatible...  BUT, assuming it won't cost much, I'd be able to get this (with the rotisserie, and what appears to be a few GBS inserts!) AND buy a Smoke thermometer for the same price as a new performer premium.  This one also has a gas assist, which is nice, though I don't see myself using it often.

Hope this thing is still available...

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Replacing Plastic Performer Table?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Why wouldn't you is the gas assist?  It's the best part of the performer.....replacing the table is easy?  Is the table broken on the one you want to buy?  You can get it and use it for the time being with the plastic.....it's not like it can be used.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Spen1818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:38:48 AM »
Save $175 plus tax + added accessories... I'd jump on this used one. After I bought a brand new Performer with gas and metal table an older Performer like this popped up in CL a week later for $150. I was pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 10:49:26 AM »
I went home for lunch and used gas assist for lunch today. While not necessary, it is damn handy

Nolamike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »
How much quicker is the gas assist than using a lighter cube?

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
@Nolamike When I called Weber to upgrade the table it was around $45 plus $7 shipping for the table. The charcoal bin chain was also $6 and change. Depending on who you talk to they may try to work with you. Tell them what model performer you have and that you are interested in the metal table replacement. I love mine, it is a great upgrade in my opinion. but I also have sanded down and refurbished the old plastic table as seen in the tutorial posted on here as well. Good luck!

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
I upgraded to the new metal table myself, not that mine was cracked, just liked the way they look. I ordered it directly from weber at $80 IIRC.
 Then last week this copper colored performer popped up on CL for $250 and was 100 miles away. It even came with a Smokenator and already had the metal table. Sometimes real deals come up on CL but they don't last long.
I purchased the copper colored performer and passed on a even better deal to a co-worker that was also in the market for a grill. I let him have this new Performer for $200 delivered. Yes I drove the 200 round trip but I kept that Smokenator.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

I've used a weber forever and never had gas assist and have my routine down well with newspaper and chimney. I haven't used a lighter cube so can't compare to that but what's nice about gas assist is it will light old coals from a previous cook easily with the constant flame versus my chimney and newspaper that struggle to light used coal. Today for example, I piled the used coal up in the middle and hit a button. A few minutes later is was cooking pork chops for lunch and didn't add any new coal. It basically makes it almost as easy as a gas grill for quick meals and still works just as good as any kettle for slow cooks. I guess that doesn't really answer your question though. I've been meaning to try some lighter cubes.

Nolamike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 11:38:20 AM »

I've used a weber forever and never had gas assist and have my routine down well with newspaper and chimney. I haven't used a lighter cube so can't compare to that but what's nice about gas assist is it will light old coals from a previous cook easily with the constant flame versus my chimney and newspaper that struggle to light used coal. Today for example, I piled the used coal up in the middle and hit a button. A few minutes later is was cooking pork chops for lunch and didn't add any new coal. It basically makes it almost as easy as a gas grill for quick meals and still works just as good as any kettle for slow cooks. I guess that doesn't really answer your question though. I've been meaning to try some lighter cubes.

Thanks! Just started using the lighter cubes recently, and they're pretty great - simpler/tidier than newspaper, and definitely a few minutes quicker.

I'm starting to get sold on the gas assist...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »
I have gas assist and I also use lighter cubes. In my opinion it isn't any faster at getting a chimney ready to go. In hindsight buying new, I'd pass on the gas assist. CL buy whatever is in the wild unless it's the taco handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 12:53:22 PM »
I would say that the either the cubes or the gas assist are about the same . But for the price of a tank I can get way more lights than a box of cubes. Much quicker setup to light dump coal in chimney turn on gas valve press ignitor.
3 minutes later it is running on its own I got my last 4 pack of gas tanks for 10 bucks that should last me maybe 2 years I also light the WSM with it.
I love it, low or no maintenance.
I keep my cubes for camping or if I ran out of tanks.
Stuff happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
Replacing the table is a snap.
It takes longer to get out of the box than to install. 4 screws and the bin chain. I got mine under warranty  ( 15 years) .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »
Replace table with newer Weber black metal... Way nicer. Super easy to install as well.

I have used both cubes and GA. I only use cubes now when tailgating or camping and I don't pack a GA grill.

GA is handy because you can re-light used charcoal and get the most for your buck and if you don't want to use the chimney, you can fill the charcoal baskets and get the going as well with GA.

Sometimes I can get 2-3 cooks out of the same load, just by throwing a few new briquettes on the pile.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Replacing Plastic Performer Table?
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »
I wouldn't have thought twice about getting the Blue at that price with those accessories and I'd get the metal table and call it a day.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:36:00 PM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM