Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Split Chicken Breasts  (Read 1516 times)

TedUSMC

• Happy Cooker
Split Chicken Breasts
« on: June 22, 2016, 03:45:15 PM »
Today I had to stay home with a sick 2 year old. Of course it isn't fun when you have a sick child.  At least I had the time to finally cook something on my Weber that wasn't hamburgers, hot dogs, and corn.

I had 4 split chicken breasts in the fridge and put butter, garlic, and fresh oregano under the skin.  I put about a chimney worth of cold briquettes on one side of the grill and added a half chimney of ready to go briquettes on top of them.   I kept the top vent closed for most of the cook and left the chicken bone-side-down for about 2 hours. 

In my eyes everything was perfect.  Color, juiciness, and flavor.  I could tell that my wife thought it was too smoky for her taste.  My question is, how do I keep the meat from getting too smoky? 

Thank you to this forum.  I have really enjoyed the information in all of the different topics.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:18:29 PM by TedUSMC »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Split Chicken Breasts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »
Hello Ted. I would say that the garlic, butter and oregano slather sounds great!

One issue you ran into maybe the fire management. Sounds like there were a lot of coals for the cook. If you used a whole chimney of unlit and dumped a half chimney of lit on top, you have too much. If you were using briquettes as you mentioned, that contributed as well. Briquettes put off smoke as they ignite. You were kind of using the minion method "on steroids".

I use regular blue bag Kingsford briquettes , and for a cook like that would probably just use a chimney full of lit coals on one side. I would put the chicken on directly to sear it quickly (lid off) and then slide them over indirectly to finish (lid on).

I'm talking about grilling, 45 minutes to an hour, about 400 degrees. 2 hour cook , were you smoking them?

Regardless, never shut your vents all the way down. Your snuffing the oxygen, creating thick, white, bitter smoke.

I have regulated my air flow for years with the top damper. Bottom open. Regulate top. Listening to suggestions from the folks here, have been switching that up and have had good success. Top open fully, regulate bottom. Thank you A-T-S.

Try it. Same cook. Same process. Don't shut down air completely and regulate from the bottom. See what you think. Come back and tell us. Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:31:10 PM by Travis »

TedUSMC

• Happy Cooker
Re: Split Chicken Breasts
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I guess I was too worried about temperature management.  I was proud that I maintained 275-290 through the entire time.  In hindsight, you are right.  I wasn't grilling, I was smoking. 

I will make adjustments as you recommended and get back with the results. 

Thank you again for the advice. 

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »
Travis has you headed in the right direction. And also, make sure your coals are fully ashed over before dumping them.
Growing family = growing kettles!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:11:20 AM »
... make sure your coals are fully ashed over before dumping them.

I believe this is key. I always watch this as my wife is sensitive to the smoke.

Once ashed over, there is no smoke, just heat (using KBB). You now have an oven     ;)

My apple pies and cookies come out with no smoke flavor    8)

Dude, relax your chicken.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »
Lump would also probably taste cleaner then briquettes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »
All solid advice above. Welcome to the club!
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.