Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First used Smoke Fire?  (Read 14775 times)

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: First used Smoke Fire?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2020, 06:33:56 AM »
I think Weber's real problem is the fact that they were sold to a PRIVATE EQUITY FIRM, BDT Capital Partners, in 2010.  Since then, the shift has CLEARLY been maximizing profit first, quality second.  Finally about Private Equity Firms.  They're the lurking shadow running our modern economy. 

Excellent point on ownership - everything flows from the top.

I clicked the link, and, naturally, the site has several quotes from previous majority shareholders (now minority shareholders) gushing about how BDT Capital Partners "hasn't changed the culture" or "doesn't sacrifice quality", etc.  Having been on both sides of buyouts (several as the private equity company's auditor and once as the acquired accounting firm of a larger firm), I can assure you that BDT has three main objectives with any company it acquires: 1) make money, 2) make money, and 3) convince customers that nothing has changed.  I've never seen a business owner execute a deal with a private equity firm and then NOT say it wasn't the best thing to have ever happened to the company. It's all PR, and it's all BS.  All acquired companies are tinkered with by their private equity firms (costs, people, culture, logistics, pricing, policies, etc.) to make them profit centers. Weber is no different.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2020, 07:28:50 AM »
Anyone looking for some positive (not bought and paid for) feedback on this grill check out TRENDKILL BBQ on Youtube.  He seems to like what he has.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCux5WwCUWhR-qgBPUl8ZssA

My son and his son used to play on the same soccer team back in 2016, then he and his wife moved and then I found out the guy is big into BBQ and does competitions.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »

Anyone looking for some positive (not bought and paid for) feedback on this grill check out TRENDKILL BBQ on Youtube.  He seems to like what he has.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCux5WwCUWhR-qgBPUl8ZssA

My son and his son used to play on the same soccer team back in 2016, then he and his wife moved and then I found out the guy is big into BBQ and does competitions.

I’ve been watching. He has a pretty nice bbq area he has been working on a talking about. I noticed he decided to make a permanent built in spot for the smoke fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
You can add me to the long list of beyond pissed.  The GreaseFire has already been returned, I have unsubscribed from Justin's channel and will be selling my Genesis II LX S-340.  The Summit Charcoal grilling center will probably go too.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2020, 05:30:28 PM »
WOW! @CurtP, that bad huh? Maybe Weber can make it up to us, by releasing a limited run Glen Blue 26er, & bring back the Weber 6520 Pizza Oven, to the good ole U.S. of A.! I'm pretty sure Weber reads the WKC forums, for

social feedback and product reviews.

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2020, 10:16:44 PM »
What issues did you have?
You can add me to the long list of beyond pissed.  The GreaseFire has already been returned, I have unsubscribed from Justin's channel and will be selling my Genesis II LX S-340.  The Summit Charcoal grilling center will probably go too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2020, 10:20:09 PM »
Hi club, I didn't know this thread existed. I have a SmokeFire that I absolutely love. If anybody needs help or has questions I can answer feel free. With all the mixed reviews, I decided to document my experiences and upload them to YouTube.

Here's a link to my NOT MONETIZED channel.

https://m.youtube.com/user/scion93247

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2020, 03:32:33 AM »
WOW! @CurtP, that bad huh? Maybe Weber can make it up to us, by releasing a limited run Glen Blue 26er, & bring back the Weber 6520 Pizza Oven, to the good ole U.S. of A.! I'm pretty sure Weber reads the WKC forums, for social feedback and product reviews.
I'm done with Weber.  I have a new grill on order, but it isn't a Weber.  It didn't help that I was already unhappy with the Summit Charcoal.

Ill-fitting lid, pellet hopper not feeding, ash EVERYWHERE (except the foil pan), issues with updates and grease fires.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2020, 05:40:57 AM »
And now $999 at Lowe's........

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2020, 09:26:29 AM »

It's a total bummer that Weber let you and others down. Just curious - you mentioned that you unsubscribed from Justin's channel. What was the reason?
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »
Ok I’ll be that guy [emoji23].....

When are you putting the grills up for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »
Yeah, I don't understand the frustration, am I happy with everything Weber does? nah, I think they really tried with this and with a few tweaks to correct the issues they will have a solid grill, IMO.

The comment about the Summit Charcoal grill, not sure where that is coming from as I love mine had it for over 2 years and solid as a rock.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »
Not gonna lie. I did look at his location. :p
Ok I’ll be that guy [emoji23].....

When are you putting the grills up for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
WOW! @CurtP, that bad huh? Maybe Weber can make it up to us, by releasing a limited run Glen Blue 26er, & bring back the Weber 6520 Pizza Oven, to the good ole U.S. of A.! I'm pretty sure Weber reads the WKC forums, for social feedback and product reviews.
I'm done with Weber.  I have a new grill on order, but it isn't a Weber.  It didn't help that I was already unhappy with the Summit Charcoal.

Ill-fitting lid, pellet hopper not feeding, ash EVERYWHERE (except the foil pan), issues with updates and grease fires.
The lid has adjustments left and right inside the cooker.
The auger not feeding isn't normal, did you ignite the grill before doing the update?
As for the pellet hopper and grease management. They both rely on gravity to work the best. Did you level your grill? I have had 0 issues with mine.

WOW! @CurtP, that bad huh? Maybe Weber can make it up to us, by releasing a limited run Glen Blue 26er, & bring back the Weber 6520 Pizza Oven, to the good ole U.S. of A.! I'm pretty sure Weber reads the WKC forums, for social feed and product reviews.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
I guess I wasn't the only one who smelled a buying opportunity.  I was going to start a second account with the screen name OldManPotter and then post the following:

"There is a rumor around town that you closed you are going to sell your grills. Is that true?

Are you all right? Do you need any firemen?

Well, fires get pretty ugly sometimes, you know.  I'm going all out to help in this crisis. I've just guaranteed the bank sufficient funds to meet their needs. They'll close up for a week and then reopen.

I may lose a fortune, but I'm willing to guarantee your people, too. Just tell them to bring their grills over here and I will pay 50 cents on the dollar."
regards,
Hal