Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First used Smoke Fire?  (Read 14772 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First used Smoke Fire?
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »
LOLOL....

"Aw, you never miss a trick do you Potter?"

"Wish I had a million dollars.......Hot Dog!"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:30:35 PM by bamakettles »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »
Thanks.  Couldn't help but think about Old Man Potter having Weberitus.  Although, when I looked up the script, I was surprised offered 50 cents on the dollar.  I assumed it would have been a lot less. 

LOLOL....

"Aw, you never miss a trick do you Potter?"

"Wish I had a million dollars.......Hot Dog!"
regards,
Hal

mcyork28

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »
I have an EX6 that I haven't had any problems with. The pellet hopper could have been designed better, I do shove the pellets down every once in a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2020, 11:13:06 AM »
Just looked over the smoke fire for the first time in person at Lowe’s.
Looks nice but it looks like you get more metal for your money with a summit charcoal.  Interesting my Lowe’s is stocking this one. They have never stocked a summit charcoal or even a 26” for that matter. Nor have they ever stocked a charcoal go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2020, 07:45:02 PM »
I also looked at a SmokeFire at the store today. The built quality seems pretty nice. More like the original e310 genesis with mostly metal parts vs today’s metal and plastic Genesis II. It would have been nice to play the controller but they had a dummy installed.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2020, 05:20:41 AM »
It's a total bummer that Weber let you and others down. Just curious - you mentioned that you unsubscribed from Justin's channel. What was the reason?
Shill.  Unsubscribed from Harry's channel too for the same reason.

Ok I’ll be that guy [emoji23].....

When are you putting the grills up for sale?
I haven't posted them because I haven't taken pictures yet, but they're available now to anyone who wants to strike a deal.  Accessories are included - however many  unopened bags of Jealous Devil and Kingsford blue I have left, BBQ Guru CyberQ, the USA made Slow 'N Sear low profile and an extra charcoal grate.  I think the only accessories I have for the gasser is a couple of smoke boxes and some foil drip pans.

Yeah, I don't understand the frustration, am I happy with everything Weber does? nah, I think they really tried with this and with a few tweaks to correct the issues they will have a solid grill, IMO.
I'm not Weber's beta tester and there were claims of "truckloads of pellets" during their testing.  The app wasn't even ready - couldn't control the temp, only set a timer.  And the thing that drove me nuts is the temp reading was way off - like 50+ degrees and it would show a steady temp even though it was going through wild temp swings.

The comment about the Summit Charcoal grill, not sure where that is coming from as I love mine had it for over 2 years and solid as a rock.
Mine arrived with a handle that was already rusting, deep gouge marks in the table around the control and emblem where someone went crazy cutting the protective film and a vent that self-closed every time you opened the lid.  Not to mention all the corners they cut on a $2k charcoal grill - from the pull-out basket that should have been on ball bearing slides, a plastic tub that scratches the hell out of the shelf, non-stainless charcoal grates and chintzy plastic wheels.  For the price it should have included a controller.  It is a nice grill, it just isn't $2k nice.

I'm not as pissed as I was, but I am very disappointed.  I don't really care if I sell the grills or not, but I will if the opportunity arises.  I know I'll be looking at Weber with a much more critical eye and I think it's cured me of Weberitis.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »
Sorry about your experience with the summit,  I agree with the basket thing that has scratched my shelf quite a bit and I am not happy with it.  I have said for a long time that 2K for the grill is extreme.  $1500 for the one with the table is more acceptable.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2020, 06:12:39 AM »
I can understand your disappointment.  What did Weber do to make it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First used Smoke Fire?
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2020, 06:22:50 AM »
Sorry about your experience with the summit,  I agree with the basket thing that has scratched my shelf quite a bit and I am not happy with it.  I have said for a long time that 2K for the grill is extreme.  $1500 for the one with the table is more acceptable.

Totally agree with that. Would love to see a third version without gas assist as the most affordable version. You would think they would sell a hell of a lot more of them if you could get $999 or less.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:24:21 AM by HoosierKettle »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2020, 07:21:43 AM »

Totally agree with that. Would love to see a third version without gas assist as the most affordable version. You would think they would sell a hell of a lot more of them if you could get $999 or less.

Agreed the gas assist is worthless to me.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2020, 08:15:07 AM »
I use the gas assist on my performer to light my chimney 95% of the time.   It works very well.  The burner on the lower level in the summit seems to be a bad compromise and not work well.   The top level is too far from the flame and you you have to rearrange the grate to get it close on the bottom. 

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2020, 10:10:21 AM »
I use the gas assist on my performer to light my chimney 95% of the time.   It works very well.  The burner on the lower level in the summit seems to be a bad compromise and not work well.   The top level is too far from the flame and you you have to rearrange the grate to get it close on the bottom. 

That is kind of the point, when I am grilling on the top level I cannot light the charcoal with gas assist.  I tried to put the grate on the lower level and move up but that is a PITA.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »
I can understand your disappointment.  What did Weber do to make it right?
With the Summit Charcoal?  They sent a replacement lid handle, a new table and 3 vent assemblies.  All 3 vent assemblies were floppy and I ended up drilling out the rivet, tapping the base plate and using a stainless bolt with a jam nut.  I'm pretty confident that I'm the only guy around with an ARP 12-point nut and bolt holding the vent together.

That is kind of the point, when I am grilling on the top level I cannot light the charcoal with gas assist.  I tried to put the grate on the lower level and move up but that is a PITA.
I bought an extra charcoal grate for this very thing.  I put one grate in the lower position, and remove the upper charcoal grate ring.  I set my charcoal chimney on the lower grate and use gas assist to light.  Once lit, I remove the chimney, install the upper charcoal grate, then dump the charcoal on it.  You don't have to get a 2nd charcoal grate, but I didn't want to handle it while hot.

Believe it or not, gas assist will eventually light charcoal on the upper position.  It takes forever and you'll end up using just about an entire propane canister doing it.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »
It's a total bummer that Weber let you and others down. Just curious - you mentioned that you unsubscribed from Justin's channel. What was the reason?

Harsh, but I understand. I'm not an avid fan of Justin's, but with all the turmoil with the SF, I watched his vids to get his perspective. I'm not subscribed to Harry's channel as I don't like his style.  As for Justin, after the issues he encountered during his first cook, he certainly appeared to feel terrible about having advocated for the SF based on the Weber promo event. Bottom line for me is I think we're all entitled to make mistakes. Whether you want to believe him or not, he acknowledged more than once that he screwed up by tacitly endorsing a product before testing it himself. If you were a previous fan of his, hopefully you won't hold this against him forever.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »

Harsh, but I understand. I'm not an avid fan of Justin's, but with all the turmoil with the SF, I watched his vids to get his perspective. I'm not subscribed to Harry's channel as I don't like his style.  As for Justin, after the issues he encountered during his first cook, he certainly appeared to feel terrible about having advocated for the SF based on the Weber promo event. Bottom line for me is I think we're all entitled to make mistakes. Whether you want to believe him or not, he acknowledged more than once that he screwed up by tacitly endorsing a product before testing it himself. If you were a previous fan of his, hopefully you won't hold this against him forever.

I really feel for Justin...he seemed very genuine as to how disappointed/embarrassed he was over this whole thing. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!