Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Complete n00b has a question about propane tanks for old Touch-N-Go gas assist.  (Read 6472 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
So there's this guy I know *cough* http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/i-no-longer-want-an-ash-can-slide-aside-thermometer-chimney-work-table/msg37815/#msg37815 *cough* who just picked up some old Weber grill.

It's a charcoal kettle but there's also a normal propane tank attached, like real grills have! Has what appears to be a stainless steel work table surface. It's almost as if he went out of his way to buy this old thing, can you imagine?

The tank has a valve installed, right angle and assumes this is normal. From there a hose/regulator assembly is attached. What he wants to know is, which part comes off when exchanging the tank --- valve stays with tank, or valve stays with fuel line? Apparently this rube has never had anything propane before except for an unfortunate sweat solder incident he doesn't want to talk about again and since the dork bought a grill older than his car, it has no owner's manual.

Also, if you have any tips regarding what size/type/whatever to buy I'm sure he'd appreciate it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
That's not quite a normal tank. The early ss performer had a threaded fitting, but the majority of them have a quick release. Mikeinctown and I have worked through recently. He was lucky enough to find a new qcc1 valve adapter for the old regulator. The newest ss performers also had a qcc1 adapter but they only made them in limited numbers. Check out this thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/cheap-find-but-need-help-with-parts/msg35788/#msg35788

And my thread after post 39 that outlines your options. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/msg33369/#msg33369

You will also need to get your tank recertified before they will fill it. Some places can fill a quick connect and allow you to use the existing fitting. Good luck.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Thanks much. I'll make my way through those and some related threads. I may post a picture of the regulator or whatever tomorrow to verify what's actually on it, since I wouldn't recognize any of this stuff otherwise.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bman

• WKC Performer
Here's a link you may enjoy - http://help.weber.com/manuals/default.aspx#model

From your explanation, I'm guessing you have the quick-connect gas fitting.  Looks like an air compressor fitting?

If so, just pull back on the "silver" part (on the tank valve) and the male end will be loose if it doesn't automatically pop out.

I've taken off the quick-connect male fitting from an old ('92) gasser and threaded this in it's place.  A direct fit which got me into a new style tank with no fuss.  Found it at Lowes.  http://www.bernzomatic.com/item.html?id=63

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
The tank will have some dates stamped on it. The tank is likely expired. If you want to go full hog, yo can buy a new tank, regulator and connector.  Show us the pic and we will help you figure it out.
AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Thanks Chad. I'm not familiar with any of the acronyms but your pix and description are puzzle pieces that help ... and I just now went out and snapped a pic. Haven't looked at the tank except to know I don't want it since it hangs stupidly at an angle.

Doesn't that appear to be threaded, not quick-disconnect between valve and regulator? I didn't try to pull back on the "double rings" or whatever.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
That is not one of the quick disconnects. You'll need to just unthread that from the tank, remove the nipple from the regulator and thread on the new style connector and you are good to go.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
What he said.. .. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
It is threaded. It is reverse threads to loosen. Go to the Right and it will loosen. That is an old school regulator on a newer OPD tank.

Bman

• WKC Performer
The tank is a great asset to have.  It should hang vertical and not at some stupid angle.  You've got something else going on that probably pretty easy to fix.  Is the base of the tank sitting ON the tab or hanging AGAINST the tab?
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
I think he might need a tank scale, that is where the tank should hang.  Not from the control panel. 

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Unscrew from the "Red" Arrow. You will be fine, remember they are reverse threads.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Ya'll are answering questions faster than I can ask them. Thanks again. Chad your Photoshop is very much appreciated as is the info tied into it all. I found the PDF manual Gummi linked to elsewhere - fantastic as well. The restoration thread of the red SS is a keeper.

Regarding the tank listing angle. I can post better pix tomorrow but if I don't go to sleep there won't be a tomorrow for me.

All I can say now is the tank's upper collar is of course curved as you see it but it's hanging on a flat "lip" from the side of the Performer. The base isn't sitting on the lower tab which is why it leans left. So looking down into the access hole for the valve (if the cover were on) you'd see the valve knob canted left.

If i'm not careful I can see this $100 grill doubling in cost just to get the gas going. I'd like to keep this tank if it saves money, looks "right" and stays/becomes modern regarding fittings/refilling/recertified and all that shit.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
See the gap at the top hangar? That's why it can lean left (kinda like me -- er, never mind)

It's also too short to reach the bottom tab:

Since the tank was only supported by the top tab (hello? dangerous) it had bent it slightly downwards so I bent it back up.

It's a Manchester tank, stamped with WC (water content) of 13 and TW (tare weight) of 9.6 and made 11/2003. It's about 8" round and about 12" tall. My guess is it's a 5lb tank? Size and shape look like this guy's: http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4014 and the specs bear out on their page here: http://www.mantank.com/products/dotproducts/5-420steel.htm

Anyway, I guess I don't want the tank since it doesn't fit the grill correctly. What I don't understand is there doesn't seem to be much correlation between tank size/capacity and price between the 5/11/20lb models. Don't think I need 20lbs but if the tank is cheapest that way and fits the grill best (yes?), why not?

And I have a question about the regulator. Rust on the bottom of whatever that is between regulator and hose connector, and what's that oval paperclip/safety pin for?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
The regulator is a Marshall Gas Products model 170. My Google-fu resulted in no hits.