Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Complete n00b has a question about propane tanks for old Touch-N-Go gas assist.  (Read 6471 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
The paper clip holds a consumer warning tag. I ordered a new regulator from weber and it was hanging there. I have had a few SS tanks and I don't think any if them had an opd valve. Is it possible yours is aftermarket? The top and bottom tank holder tab are on the same piece and should fit perfectly.

What's the stamp date on the collar? Does it match or close to the kettle age?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
"And I have a question about the regulator. Rust on the bottom of whatever that is between regulator and hose connector, and what's that oval paperclip/safety pin for?"

In my experience those usually held a safety tag. You know the one that looks like
crud and is always in the way when trying to screw in the regulator.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Also your tank looks to be in really good shape. Ie newer?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Also your tank looks to be in really good shape. Ie newer?

From my post above, it's from 2003:

It's a Manchester tank, stamped with WC (water content) of 13 and TW (tare weight) of 9.6 and made 11/2003. It's about 8" round and about 12" tall. My guess is it's a 5lb tank? Size and shape look like this guy's: http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4014 and the specs bear out on their page here: http://www.mantank.com/products/dotproducts/5-420steel.htm

Anyway, I guess I don't want the tank since it doesn't fit the grill correctly. What I don't understand is there doesn't seem to be much correlation between tank size/capacity and price between the 5/11/20lb models. Don't think I need 20lbs but if the tank is cheapest that way and fits the grill best (yes?), why not?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
A 20# tank isn't going to fit comfortably under the table because of the width. I'm not sure about the height but I've heard of people putting them underneath. Im also not sure if they have the bin or not though. My tall 11# is roughly the same diameter as the 5# but fits comfortably height wise. You'll need to figure out how to secure it.

I roll mine around a lot so I wanted the tank to fit inside the cart. If I left it in one place I would probably pull the brackets off a gasser to support a 20# tank or just leave it next to it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
OK that's what I get for assuming a 20lb tank was what Weber intended for this Performer (I haven't read the manual yet --- what IS the correct size according to them?)

I don't think I should have to "figure out" how to secure a tank, should I? Although the 11lb is supported from the bottom I'd have to wedge something in at the top to keep it positioned horizontally "perfect" if it's no wider than a 5lb tank.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
With your tank being made in 2003, you don't need to worry about re-certification. Just get it filled and get your ass grilling. The tabs you have on the side that hold the tank may be somewhat adjustable. I cannot remember exactly, but I know PBE Gummi mentioned that they were adjustable to me. I'm still looking for a tank. I can say with 100% certainty that a 20lb tank will NOT fit under there with the charcoal bin in place.

while you are enjoying the grilling session, keep an eye out for a curb grill. any of those cheap ass Fiestsa grills will have the new style OPD connector. Remove the regulator asembly and take the OPD connector off at home and then screw it into your regulator. The tank already has the provisions for it. One thing, when you need to get the tank filled, you will most likely need to go to an AGA or other industrial gas supplier as most refill places won't refill the small tanks.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
The manual shows it originally came with a 5lb tank and I see no other parts I'm missing. OK I'm sold on keeping my tank for now and will shove a piece of wood or two to "make it fit."

Still a little confused about the OPD connector (this is the black ACME knob?) since I've never seen one in the flesh, but Mike you say it'll connect to my tank?

Honestly, putting a wrench to the nipple connector I already have (which I've since removed from the regulator) isn't much of a hardship. At least it came off easily and quickly.

The rusty thing I mentioned is the test valve.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
The current connection threads into the inside of the propane tank. The new connector goes on the outside threads of the tank valve. it's a hand tight connection. The grills originally came with the small 5lb tank. I would download the manual from Weber and make sure there isn't adjustment to your holder panel. The tank should be supported no problem.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Roger that, and thanks again. Perhaps there are variances in tank design; the manual doesn't show anything amiss.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Just as a point of reference I stumbled upon someone selling a refilled 5 lb tank made in 1996 while searching "weber charcoal" on craigslist.

I'm not interested in buying it but it looks like the one in the manual, with a flat back on the top. Presumably it's also a little taller than what I have.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
The small tank pictured is now illegal to refill. Notice the star type know. OPD;s are triangular. You should only buy it for the propane value or less.
Its possible to get it recertifed, but I would avoid that.
I see new tanks for under $60.
AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
With your tank being made in 2003, you don't need to worry about re-certification. Just get it filled and get your ass grilling. The tabs you have on the side that hold the tank may be somewhat adjustable. I cannot remember exactly, but I know PBE Gummi mentioned that they were adjustable to me. I'm still looking for a tank. I can say with 100% certainty that a 20lb tank will NOT fit under there with the charcoal bin in place.

The tabs are not adjustable. I am cutting mine in half and remounting them spaced apart to accommodate the 11#. You are really lucky to have an opd valve on your tank so just buy an adapter for it and get it refilled before it expires. It should last you a long time.

VolFirefighter

• Happy Cooker
BMan's explanation to fix the problem allows you to use a 20# tank. I found the part on my own yesterday at lowes for about $10. I have an older touch n go performer that I'm rehabbing. I had a few 20# tanks from a gas grill I had so there was no use buying or refilling a 5# tank