Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lavatools Javelin Pro  (Read 2962 times)

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
Lavatools Javelin Pro
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:22:19 AM »
The Thermapen is the leader in instant read thermometers but is pricy, for the past year I’ve been using the Lavatools Javelin Pro instant read which sells for about half the price and thought I would share my experience. 

Figure I’ll start with the most important characteristics, speed and accuracy.  I’ve done the typical ice water and boiling water tests.  Temps are right on target and match my Thermoworks Smoke within a degree so accuracy is good.  Speed wise when switching from ice to boiling water it takes around 3-4 seconds to settle on a final temp.  Less extreme swings from say room temp to 135 seems to be a little faster so I have no complaints there.

Build quality seems solid.  If you read other online reviews it sounds like the early production runs had a weakness where the probe articulates which Lavatools claims has been fixed.  It seems solid to me and doesn’t feel fragile.  The readout is big and easy to read and automatically rotates to keep it oriented properly.  The backlight is bright enough to comfortably read in the dark.  After a year of being used almost every day it is still on the original battery.  I am notoriously clumsy and have dropped it many times without problems.
Lavatools says it is “splash resistant”.  I haven’t left it out directly in a downpour but it has certainly gotten wet many times without issue.

I’ve never owned a Thermapen but got to see one in person last month at Thanksgiving.  I didn’t do any testing, just picked it up and looked at when I saw it lying on the counter.  The Thermapen feels more solid and I like  its more “streamlined” appearance than the Javelin.  I didn’t have the Javelin with me for a side by side comparison but I would say the probe tips look to be about the same size.

I purchased the smaller and simpler Lavatools Javelin for my dad.  The standard Javelin is smaller, lacks the backlight and is slower than the Pro version but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the standard Javelin for those with a smaller budget but I do think the Pro version is worth the upgrade, the backlight alone makes it worth it. 

I would pick the Javelin Pro over the Thermapen Classic just for the backlight.  It is a small convenience but is essential for me since I cook in the dark so much.  I think the Javelin Pro is a better value than the full priced Thermapen MKIV.  However if I had known how often Thermoworks puts there products on sale I might have held off as a good Thermoworks sale can really narrow the price difference down.  The other thing to consider is the long-standing and positive reputation of Thermoworks quality and customer service.  I’ve seen many people who have had their Thermapen for a decade without issue and those who have had problems report positive experiences with Thermoworks CS department.  Lavatools hasn’t been around as long so it’s really too early to say if they are comparable in the long run so we’ll just have to wait and see. 

Overall I’d happily recommend the Javelin Pro to anyone who is looking for a quality, fast instant read thermometer without the Thermapen price.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Lavatools Javelin Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:31:29 AM »
Thanks for the review!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:39:02 AM »
I’ve been using the standard javelin and love it. Absolutely worth every penny of $25

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:54:54 AM »
Thanks for waiting a year. Most of us post a review of something the same week we get a product, while the bloom is far more likely to still be on the rose.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »
Not a bad read at all.  I'd need to use the Javelin for my own comparison but for now I love my Thermapen MK4.  I got it during the Halloween sale, anyone on the fence should just buy one at the next sale.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
Never used a javelin  but hear good things about them. Love my mk4 though

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
Great review. It looks an excellent deal, especially for the price.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 11:33:10 PM »
Very nice review and spot on. I’ve had the Javelin Pro for a few years now and really like it. Never used the Thermapen to compare but can highly recommend the Javelin Pro as a lower cost alternative.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »
I too have the Javelin Pro and really enjoy the speedy reads. I'm sure it's not as fast as the Thermapen but it's well worth it for the price. The Pro also has been going sale a lot for $40

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 03:08:38 AM »
Had the Javelin Pro. I liked the performance but after 3 weeks the LCD screen started to fade and flicker. I returned it to Amazon and pulled the pin on an Orange Mk4. (The orange is fastest you know). I love it and wouldn’t go back.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
Had the Javelin Pro. I liked the performance but after 3 weeks the LCD screen started to fade and flicker. I returned it to Amazon and pulled the pin on an Orange Mk4. (The orange is fastest you know). I love it and wouldn’t go back.

I have actually found that to be very, very true ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
I bought the orange MK4 during the Halloween sale. It’s lightning fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »
Yours may be fast - mines on fire! From a limited edition run in 2013:
Retired

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »

I’ve got that same one! Almost burns my hands it’s so hot.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »

Now THAT is almost too hot to handle!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club