Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2000 One Touch Platinum question  (Read 1257 times)

Grillin78

• Happy Cooker
2000 One Touch Platinum question
« on: August 11, 2017, 07:52:26 AM »
According to a response in my introduction post here, my latest acquisition is a DD (2000) One Touch Platinum. I've never heard of these or run across any online. It seems they're a stripped down Performer. Can anyone tell me more about these & what they had, i.e. thermometer or other features?

I'm also curious as to the mods or attempted mods on mine & what everyone thinks I should do about them. It looks like they may've tried to do something to the handle {it doesn't show well in the pictures, but it is now screwed / bolted on... best guess is the welds came off the handle, or they broke them of & tried to drill holes to screw mount it, but then relocated it} & thus it now has 2 more holes than it should & 4 screws / nuts & bolts in the lid! The second thing is what appears to be line fittings through the kettle. I wasn't sure at all on that, but now I'm wondering if it was an attempt to make a rotisserie. The bottom shelf is also at quite and angle, but I think one of the leg braces is just upside down. Whatta y'all think!?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:10:52 AM by Grillin78 »

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
Re: 2000 One Touch Platinum question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
Looks like the original handle failed and it was reattached.   The threaded port under the bowl lip is a common mod to pass thermo probes inside.     I have done that mod to my MT and it works great for the Maverick Thermo.   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »
@Grillin78.  The OTP is a great grill and Weber made them in both 18.5 and 22.5 versions.  No thermos were built into the lid and no gas assist. It's basically a OneTouchGold with the addition of the cart and table.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Grillin78

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »
Looks like the original handle failed and it was reattached.   The threaded port under the bowl lip is a common mod to pass thermo probes inside.     I have done that mod to my MT and it works great for the Maverick Thermo.

Thanks Nolch!  I was worried the ports would let too much air in, but now I'm thinking that will work great for my ThermoPro TP16's... I run one in the meat and one for grate temp!

@ScottZee, appreciate the reply. I'm starting to like it more already. And you can't beat the price... Free! Thank God for Craigslist {my wife would probably strongly disagree though teehehehehehe  :P}

Grillin78

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »
Also, is the 'chicken wire' around the charcoal grate (visible in 5th pic with the grate folded up) a common mod?

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
Here are picts of mine.   The threaded tube and nuts are spare parts for lamps. 
 I found a galvanized cap in the plumbing section of HD that will work as a cap of you do not use a thermo with probes. 

This mod also works for 2 of the iGrill probes but it is a little snug.

Here is a spot to store the cap when not in use. More of the same tube and nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »
I picked one up a couple months ago, ended up restoring it, and giving it to one of my buddies as a house warming gift. He seems pretty happy with it. 
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=31323.0
Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:32:03 AM by Mkrause »