Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to fix a bowl vent that has come off?  (Read 1505 times)

bigssa

• WKC Brave
How to fix a bowl vent that has come off?
« on: July 23, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
I recently picked up a 75-76 red head. In the process of cleaning, one of the bowl vents cam off but the river stayed in place. What is the. Eat way to fix this? Do I drill out the rivet? Do I just use a stainless steak screw with a washer and a nut on the inside of the bowl?

As an aside question, what is the best way to remove the old wood handle? Again, do I need to drill out the existing rivets?

Thanks.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to fix a bowl vent that has come off?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:05:10 PM »
I can't really picture the first question. For getting rid of the handle, I like using a dremel with a cut-off wheel. I've used a saw/hacksaw combo as well and it works fine. I think I've used a saw and Channelock diagonal pliers as well.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
I can't really picture the first question. For getting rid of the handle, I like using a dremel with a cut-off wheel. I've used a saw/hacksaw combo as well and it works fine. I think I've used a saw and Channelock diagonal pliers as well.
Maybe pictures will help here is the bowl with the river still in and the vent itself. Sorry, it is dark outside so hopefully the pictures are sufficient to see what's going on.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:36 AM »
I'm no expert but it appears that you will have to drill the rivet out, unless the rivet head is so thin that you could carefully drive it out with a small punch (carefully, so as not to damage the bowl itself). A stainless steel machine screw would replace the rivet. Or, you could use a new rivet.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:09:33 AM by Dsorgnzd »

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:57:44 AM »
A Dremel with a cutoff disc works great. You can also pick up a SS dome head with an inset hex that looks somewhat similar to a rivet.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:21 AM »
Drilling the old rivet with a 1/4" drill will work as long as the rivet don't spin with the drill. If it does spin the easyest thing to do is grind it off with a dremel or other grinder.

If you grind the rivet from the outside of the kettle (tail end), where the rivet was bucked (mushroomed or rounded) ((lid vents are bucked from the inside)), the metal is very thin and can be ground off way easier than grinding the head of the rivet.

If the rivet spins, and you dont have or cant borrow a grinder, as an alternative you can grab the head of the rivet with pliers or vise grips and hold it while you drill.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 10:30:42 AM »
I used self tapping machine screws on the old custom.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will give the drill a try first and if that does not work then I will give a grinder a shot.

Tony

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
Drilling the old rivet with a 1/4" drill will work as long as the rivet don't spin with the drill. If it does spin the easyest thing to do is grind it off with a dremel or other grinder.

If you grind the rivet from the outside of the kettle (tail end), where the rivet was bucked (mushroomed or rounded) ((lid vents are bucked from the inside)), the metal is very thin and can be ground off way easier than grinding the head of the rivet.

If the rivet spins, and you dont have or cant borrow a grinder, as an alternative you can grab the head of the rivet with pliers or vise grips and hold it while you drill.

Yup...That's Exactly the Avenue to Take...What Hell Fire Grill said is what it is! ;)

Best Regards,

Tony  8)