Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Replacement tanks for performer ?  (Read 5123 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Replacement tanks for performer ?
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
Sorry I'm asking so many questions , I'm like a kid in a candy store here

I just picked up a S/S performer with no tank can these be purchased from Weber ? Or would a propane company be my best bet ?
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Replacement tanks for performer ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »
I bought mine at a local True Value. What kind of connection does yours have? I ended up ordering a new regulator from Weber to go with the new tank, and they do not sell the quick-connect tanks that came with my SS. Best decision ever, as the new parts and new tank make firing up a chimney a real pleasure. Less than $100 and the grill is like new again.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
So does this replacement tank you got at ace hang on the frame like the original ?

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
Weber doesn't sell the tanks anymore, and they are only to be used for 10 or so years anyway.  I've heard that RV dealerships have them, but when I've called around they were more than 100 bucks.  True Value is a good option, too, and I think Lowes and Amazon have them as well.   I finally got super-lucky when I was visiting a Weber dealership near me and the guy there had a couple of tanks he had kept from trade-ins.  I tried to pay for them, but he insisted I take them for free!

Marty is right about the new technology, though.  Be sure you are getting something compatible with your Performer, or expect to make some modifications. 
One of the charcoal people.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »
Fits like a glove. I did replace the burner tube assembly while I was at it. I'm good for another ten years at least.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
Fits like a glove. I did replace the burner tube assembly while I was at it. I'm good for another ten years at least.

Perfect thanks man !

etruax

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »
If your SS has everything but the tank there is a direct match on Amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-Equipment-10052-3-Cylinder/dp/B000UH5W42/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365542052&sr=1-3&keywords=manchester+propane+tank+5lb

You can see from the reviews that others have done the same thing.  I was considering a new tank or a new ACME style tank like Marty but ended up getting my old tank re-certified for $5.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
Weber doesn't sell the tanks anymore, and they are only to be used for 10 or so years anyway. 

They will recert the tank after the 10-12 year time limit for $10.00 or less. My propane guy (Hank Hill) never checks the cert date and just refills the tank for $3.70. 
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »
The Ace by work has both the different styles of the small tanks...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »
Before you buy a new tank you should look into how cost effective it would be to convert your regulator to use a 16.4oz tank. You might be able to get the parts from a grill shop where they sell propane and repair/sell grills, RV repair shop. Should be able to do it for a lot less than $100. Could possibly get the stuff from Weber for the performer that uses the disposable tanks and retofit it to yours also.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
My Hank Hill never checks the dates either.  Good to know the tank can be re-certified, though.  Thanks.
One of the charcoal people.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Before you buy a new tank you should look into how cost effective it would be to convert your regulator to use a 16.4oz tank. You might be able to get the parts from a grill shop where they sell propane and repair/sell grills, RV repair shop. Should be able to do it for a lot less than $100. Could possibly get the stuff from Weber for the performer that uses the disposable tanks and retofit it to yours also.

I thought about that , but I like to keep things as close original as possible , I'm not sure what I going to do with it yet .

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »

I thought about that , but I like to keep things as close original as possible , I'm not sure what I going to do with it yet .

You will figure it out. I put a friend on an S/S(I should have bought) Guy gave him two tanks! I am going to try and purchase it. Or get a good friend discount... ;)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:37:16 AM »
Today I went to pick it up , turns out not only did he have the tank but he also had an extra , he just meant that the tank couldn't be filled until it was upgraded or re-certed . I had already cut his asking price  down to $20.00 without the tank , so half price and 2 tanks its a good day

Date code P 1993 , matches my WSM

She's rough but not for long !