Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: finally! she is all done - Redhead SSP restore underway  (Read 12261 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Re: Redhead SSP restore underway
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 03:30:47 AM »
I have a third-party cover on my SSP with the new bale and it fits just fine.

Is that the one from Grill Stuff?

Yes. That's it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »
Few more things done.

Wheels cleaned.

Trying to clean and restore some shine back into black plastic center.

Uncle Al white walls.  I made a template and put red tape behind the lettering.

Wheels all done.

Smaller caster wheels needs replacing.  I took them out and try to free them up. Ended up breaking one. Full of rust inside. These wheels never rolled in years.

Weber badge oxidized areas sanded ( 400 grit ) and polished. Inside repainted.  All panels cleaned up and rusted areas touched up.

This is a tool I made up to clean and knock of all the rust inside the frames.  Ran it through several times each- clean, rust inhibitor spray, tranny fluid, then synthetic high temp grease I had.  Should provide some protection from rusting inside out.

For smaller tubing.

Outside frames still needs to be done and painted where exposed.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 02:58:44 PM »
Man you're really pulling out the stops, it gonna look great!
Like that red behind the white walls

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »

Thank you! Going all out on this project.

Question for all of you who have replaced the caster wheels.   I could go with a stock weber replacement #6414 or something like this.

These look more heavy duty and cheaper to boot, but not sure if they would fit. These are 2" and the stem size is 7/16 x 1-7/16.  Will they work?

Thanks in advance

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 04:46:08 PM »
You are going all out on this!  The badge and wheels look fantastic.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 05:17:45 PM »

Thank you! I am happy with how both turned out. The badge is nice and clean but debating now if I should give splash of color. Red on the lid and a bowl -kettle logo and lime green on WEB lettering to signify my user name.  Not sure if this will detract from clean look.

One more question.  I want to make sure if this 4.9lb tank will fit in the stock 5lb tank location. The shape of the tank is different from stock 5lb and not sure if I can return it if it does not fit.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/manchester-tank-4-9-lbs-opd-barbecue-tank-0852061p.html

Update on Feb. 06/17   Don't want to bump it up till I get my frames done. Hopefully in a few days.

I got my caster wheels and few other things.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:39:17 PM by greenweb »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »

Thank you! I am happy with how both turned out. The badge is nice and clean but debating now if I should give splash of color. Red on the lid and a bowl -kettle logo and lime green on WEB lettering to signify my user name.  Not sure if this will detract from clean look.

One more question.  I want to make sure if this 4.9lb tank will fit in the stock 5lb tank location. The shape of the tank is different from stock 5lb and not sure if I can return it if it does not fit.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/manchester-tank-4-9-lbs-opd-barbecue-tank-0852061p.html

Since there are no dimensions given, the only thing left is the eye test, and that looks to be too wide.  I would keep looking.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 08:10:59 PM »

Thank you! Going all out on this project.

Question for all of you who have replaced the caster wheels.   I could go with a stock weber replacement #6414 or something like this.
These look more heavy duty and cheaper to boot, but not sure if they would fit. These are 2" and the stem size is 7/16 x 1-7/16.  Will they work?

Thanks in advance

These work well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YOJX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&p;sc=1

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-2'-non-locking-replacement-wheels-with-ball-bearings/msg155753/#msg155753

Coppertop

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:33 AM »
Few more things done.

Wheels cleaned.

Trying to clean and restore some shine back into black plastic center.

Can I ask what did you use to get that black shine?

Great presentation BTW, looks awesome!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 05:27:47 AM »

Can I ask what did you use to get that black shine?

Great presentation BTW, looks awesome!

Thanks!   I used all kinds of Car products I had. Cleaner, protectant, leather conditioner, vinyl and rubber shine....etc. to see which one worked the best.   But the best results were had by using believe it or not a smooth peanut butter. Rub in a small amount like you are using a wax on the car. Try it, you might be surprised.

Other options are using a product like Back-to-BlackŪTrim and Plastic Restorer from Mothers or sanding smooth and painting.
Or just order up a new set of wheels.

Adding this here for now.

Rusted areas are not as bad as I though they would be. No need to weld a section on.  Already treated with a Navel jelly rust converter.  Ready to sand whole section and paint with a filler primer several times. Will be wet sanded (400 - 600)in between coats to make it smooth. Then, painted with a final black coat several times.  Since the original power coating is lot durable than paint, I will only paint affected tubes or sections. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:39:27 AM by greenweb »

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
a good tech for removing the rusted pos zinc coated bolts on any weber grill or smoker is using a dremel with a fiberglass cutting wheel.

cut the nut rather than the bolt...if you cutoff straight edge as close to bolt as possible...the nut will then be easily removed with pliers..takes about 5-8 mins and may require 2 cutting wheels
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
and replace with ss bolts nuts and washers to avoid this headache in the future
Grills

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »
This is gold medal restoration work.  Well done.  I had a hard time making the places I sanded and repainted look inconspicuous in comparison to the original paint.  I tried two different finishes.  After awhile, I decided to paint the whole frame. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 07:17:25 PM »
"Peanut Butter!!!!!" Are you shittin" me???

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
"Peanut Butter!!!!!" Are you shittin" me???

;D ;D ;D   Nope! Try it on any faded black plastic. Use the smooth type not the crunch type.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:49:32 PM by greenweb »