Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: finally! she is all done - Redhead SSP restore underway  (Read 12260 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Redhead SSP restore underway
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
haeffb and pbe gummi bear methods are better than what I did.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Few clean ups I have done so far.

Wheels taken apart.  More cleaning - Wheels, axle, and frames 

Plan:

-to clean rest of the parts (done!)
- to Ultrasonic bath all good stock nuts and bolts to brand new condition (done!)
- to get rid of rust inside the frames and rust treat inside (done!)
- to clean and shine the frame. Where rusted areas- ground down, sanded and painted to match (done Feb 10)
- to drill and mount the handle assy. with SS bolts and nuts (done!)
- to test the burner assy function. no 5ib tank but I can use 20lb tank to test out.  (1lb can conversion in works)
- undecided to go with older style ash bucket assy. or new.  I have old style coming as it was missing. 
- lid bale was pushed in- all fixed now.  Sweeper assy. all cleaned too, but for this project I will use all new lid bale assy and sweeper assy.
- will sport Zav wood handle, tab, bale rollers when done.
- will also have Uncle Al white walls on

Parts coming.
- frame end plugs: ordered  (got it!)
- star nuts:  Foster Dahlet has been kind enough to send me rest of them after his SSP project was done free of any charge. (got it!)  Thanks!
- ash bucket:  getting one from Zav. Thanks!
- just ordered Uncle Al whitewalls.( got it! 2/1/17 )
- Rest of my wood handles  from Zav
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:27:30 PM by greenweb »

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
Great job!!!.Gonna look sharp when done!!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
Looking good!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
Thanks!  My frame end plugs came in today.  I will buy brand new 5lb tank to keep it stock once burner assy gets tested.

Lid handle is on. All SS hardware. bolts, high temp gasket, large washer to spread the load, smaller washer, nut, and wing nut to lock it down. This handle isn't coming loose anytime soon.

I will continue to update as I get things done and parts arrive.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »
I really like what you did with the handle there.  When mine finally comes loose, I will use the same solution.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
Great job there, that handle looks sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
Thanks!

I really like what you did with the handle there.  When mine finally comes loose, I will use the same solution.

Few things to watch out for when doing this.

The bolts I used are the same size as the bolts used on newer bolt on handles. I did not want to go anything smaller than this. They are 1/4-20-3/4.  Not much room for error when drilling the holes.  First, make a note of where the weld has broken off on the bot. of the handle. They are never dead on in the center.  You want to drill close to that spot.  Mark the spot with a marker- center punch the spot- start with a small bit. I ended up using 4 different bits until the holes were just big enough that bolts would slide in without much clearance. Of course, this is after I deburred the holes.  Lid holes has to be opened up same size  or even slightly bigger. On mine, holes lined up and bolts just dropped in. 

I would say this lid handle is just as strong if not stronger than freshly spot welded handle and with the second wing nuts tightened against first hex nuts.... this handle is not coming off unless you want it to.  The wing nuts puts no load on the bolts

Topped up with a Zav live edge Box Elder wood handle for now

Few more parts cleaned. Nuts and bolts cleaned using Ultrasonic cleaner.

Frames are next. This is the worst section. I won't know how bad it is till I get it down to the bare metal.

I will be rigging up a tool to clean inside the frames.

Continuing on.....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:42:36 PM by greenweb »

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »
 That will be a sweet looken REDHEAD! Way to work on the details. I hope the bones are ok.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 02:05:29 PM »
You might think about using the new (2015+) lid bale rather than replacing with the old style. It's great to get the lid a little further out of the way.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
You might think about using the new (2015+) lid bale rather than replacing with the old style. It's great to get the lid a little further out of the way.

Do you have a pic of the new style lid bale on your SSP. I don't think I have seen one on.  I know it is more functional with 90 deg. opening, but I am not sure if I really like the look with it sticking out so far.  Now that you mentioned it, I like to see how it looks on SSP.  Thanks!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 07:36:23 AM »
It would be difficult to get the cover to fit with newer lid bale.  Correct?

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
Your RRR on that SS is coming along nicely...lookin sharp!

It would be difficult to get the cover to fit with newer lid bale.  Correct?

The stock cover on my SSP is a tight fit as it is. I can't imagine it fitting with the newer style lid bale. I'm sure, on a really warm day, that you could squeeze it on there, but once it cools down, good luck!

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »
I have a third-party cover on my SSP with the new bale and it fits just fine.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »

Is that the one from Grill Stuff?

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »

That looks fantastic! Looks like 2016 Copper Performer kettle dropped into SSP frame.

Not much update this weekend.  Star Nuts came in on Friday. Thanks!  Proper credit will be given to 5 members who sent me parts ( some free and some I bought) when I am done. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:02:20 PM by greenweb »