Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Craigslist Post  (Read 6645 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Craigslist Post
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
Grey or faded Black??

The controversy continues!!!

Is there a controversy?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
Don't ever let a picture of a Weber steer you clear of buying it. Yes, it looks rough now but you'd be surprised at how well they clean up. Plus, take some time to polish the triangle, fix the wheels, etc, and you can have a great little cooker.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 04:29:31 AM »
What he said!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 07:15:10 AM »

I don't believe it is a sun fade alone as the color fade is even on both lid and bowl on older black MBH. I think it is more of heat from cooking and some sun fade over time that changes black pigment in the porcelain to change to grey.  Not so much on newer blacks.

I have several old MBH blacks that seem to disprove that theory.  The porcelain finish and handles look brand new.  They were used frequently by the previous owners but were stored in garages. I also have a newer 18" that the lid is partially faded but the bowl has no fade.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:47:17 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »
Someone explain this one. It is a 2001 (DA Code) that was stored outdoors in the Santa Cruz area. As you can see, lid shows a light fading and the bowl has none.  Maybe the constant exposure to the salt air and dew the Santa Cruz area has might explain why only the lid is fading. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 07:56:03 AM »
Its defective. Send it to me! I think it looks sweet like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 08:36:52 AM »
Here is my A-code black MBH when I got it. It was stored most of its life but has a fade all around on both the lid and the bowl.
Don't look like a sun fade to me at the bottom of the bowl.

@ Cellar2ful - Maybe the previous owner put some oil on it to bring back the black.  I don't know for sure. I am just going by what I have seen and read on faded blacks here and on my own A-code experience.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »

@greenweb- Think about this. Have you ever seen a kettle with fading on the interior of the lid or bowl? I have not seen a single one. I'm not saying there aren't any but I would think if there is any, they would have to have been left open in a field for some time, exposed to the sun and rain.   The interior of a kettle is exposed to heat, ash and grease drippings but almost never exposed to sun, rain and contaminants.  The only elements removed from the equation are sun, rain and contaminants from both (UV rays, salts and acids).  I'm not an expert but that is my hypothesis.